• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Youngsters

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not when you’re our age...... lol

Muzzleloaders are cheaper, and usually easier too get along with...

I agree. But when you have your own cult you make them pay for everything. Ever been around a group of young women? I could not last long with that. I checked the demographics on my You Tube viewers. I am not getting any young women cult.

This was Bob McBride's idea. He has a cult following also. And a farm. Maybe he can start a cult and have them all camp out there.

Slightly more back on subject. The fusil-de-chasse series that I did a while ago gets a fair amount of views in Libya and Morocco. That type of gun played as much a part in history there as it did in USA.

I always here about how traditional rifles are going to fade away because you never see the young people at events. But you do see a lot of 40+ year old people just getting into it. There are plenty of new people coming into it. They just come in a bit later. But then like Ethan Yazel says, 75% of the NMLRA You Tube viewers are under 50.

That's great Silky that you turned your group into BP enthusiasts. Now about that "Golden Turkey" ???

It's a funny story. Our camp does a little rendezvous dubbed "4 Turkeys Rendezvous" that's about a dozen of us. Some of us began running matches (woods walk, pistol, hawk/knife, etc) with prizes of your own choice. Another friend caught wind of it, and wanted to donate an obnoxious oversized trophy that travels with the winner of the most matches, so he donated the painted turkey, named the Golden Turkey.

Another friend took an old Red Ryder and painted it gold, and named it the Golden Gun. The winner of the weekend gets their initials put on the gun.

Here's me with said obnoxious turkey and the Golden gun from last fall.

Attachments

• IMG_52091.jpg
    IMG_52091.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 71
The NMLRA is keeping stats on You Tube viewers? Had to re-read that one a few times...

No, YouTube provides all content creators with a breakdown of their viewership by age, country of origin, and how a viewer got to one of our videos. (ie, I can tell how many people watch my linked videos on this forum vs. how many watch on ALR.) It's generally unimportant except when a discussion of this sort happens. It's actual pertinent data we can provide the thread on the ages of folks interested in BP generally and/or if there seems to be a demographic shift as discussed here we could go to our analytics page and see if what we're seeing there jives with the general consensus. I can tell you I thought my demographics were totally different than what they actually are....

Last edited:
If you do You Tube videos you get the full demographics of who is watching. For some it is good information to guide you on how you make your videos. I think it is interesting to see every now and then, but mostly it is rather useless. I just make the videos how I want to do it and don't much care about demographics and such. You either like it or you don't. But the real reason is that You Tube uses all that information for targeted advertising.

How does youtube know how old everyone is? When I watch I'm usually not signed in. Clearly they have my ip address, but how would they know who is using the computer?

If you aren’t signed in, I don’t think they keep that data. That’s a good point, they don’t know who is watching, so really, the whole metric might be an estimation anyways.

It's a funny story. Our camp does a little rendezvous dubbed "4 Turkeys Rendezvous" that's about a dozen of us. Some of us began running matches (woods walk, pistol, hawk/knife, etc) with prizes of your own choice. Another friend caught wind of it, and wanted to donate an obnoxious oversized trophy that travels with the winner of the most matches, so he donated the painted turkey, named the Golden Turkey.

Another friend took an old Red Ryder and painted it gold, and named it the Golden Gun. The winner of the weekend gets their initials put on the gun.

Here's me with said obnoxious turkey and the Golden gun from last fall.
Don't try to load that Golden Gun from the muzzle; you could "shoot your eye out."

FWIW, I'm 42 and got into it at 22. I'm still one of the younger guys at nearly every shoot I go to, but I got a buddy into who's my age.

I think one of the points we could emphasize to draw more interest - especially during an ammo shortage - is that it's usually much cheaper to shoot the ML's than nearly everything else, and learning to shoot side-locks well will make you a better shot at everything else. Granted, if a person's main interest in shooting is just to hear to go bang, that might not be a such of a selling point. But for serious shooters who want to grow their skills, this can be a win-win if they get over the hump.

My sons, 14 and 18, my daughter 10, and my nephew 10, all love to shoot black powder. My sons have their own rifles and I'm building my nephew one. I have a friend that is 22 that is very interested in hunting the muzzleloader season with a traditional style rifle and a cousin of mine that is 30 ish just contacted me for advice concerning what type of muzzleloader he should buy for hunting. There seems to be a growing interest in my circles for traditional style muzzleloaders.

I'm 34, but I've been interested in muzzleloading and historical firearms in general for years now. I've waited until last year to get into it and purchase my first ML rifle mostly because of practical reasons (grad school, finances). Now that things are settled down, I've made time and have a little extra cash to use.

For me, part of the charm of ML and BP is the fact that it isn't as common as modern cartridge shooting. It is seen as a little unusual, challenging, and mysterious to most folks, which kinda adds to the fun. Sounds silly, perhaps.

Not that I advocate for keeping it an exclusive club...not at all. I'm excited to tell anyone who shows interest about how much fun it is.

Back