• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Young'n

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniata

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hey you all.
I'm new on here, read through these forums for years but just recently dawned in me to join.
I don't do social media, but I thought this would be fun.
So anyhow my name is Brian Kauffman and I'm 31 years old from Central PA.
In fact I'm the 10th generation in PA since my 7th Great Grandpa came over in 1752 at age 15 (All Amish and Mennonite in my background mom and dad left the Mennonite church when I was 2).
One of those things I didn't realize the heritage of my relatives all bring from Lancaster Berks and be Chester counties where the history of these rifles come from. Dad moved out of Lancaster county in 1963 to Juniata Co. Anyhow about flintlocks... I've been into flintlocks since 2015, gradually upgrading and recently finishing myself a Isaac Haines in .45
If you are into youtube I have a few videos up under B Kauffman.

If any of you I've met at shoots, chime in , I don't know who all is on here.

A couple other fun things, I worked for my in-laws at a sawmill in Mount Pleasant Mills.
I got to help cut gun stock material for Allen Martin, Bob Lepley and a few others.
from what I'm was told from Lepley that some of his wood he bought from the mill he supplies Chambers and Track of the Wolf with so that's pretty cool. I since have left the sawmill.

Ill add some pictures here of the first gun I built. It's a NW Trade gun from Pecatonica.
don't ask me why I went with curly. Ha.
Its a 42" Colrain Barrel Cylinder bore
L&R Queen Anne Lock
I took two deer with it last year. Had a flash in the pan on a bear. That was quite a story.

Last September I started my .45 cal Isaac Haines.
I finished it on memorial day.
I was slow at getting it done.
it's a swamped 38" B weight Rice.
large siler, single Bivens trigger.
the stock came locally. Bob Lepley shaped it.
to note, I went with the Roman numeral 10 (X) on my side plate hence the 10th generation theme... which I did with a graver as well as my name on the top flat.
I cut a few lines in the gun and beaver tails etc. Nothing over the top...but man I just love that gun. Can't wait to get it out in a couple weeks in our early muzzleloader season. I shoot about 3 or 4 times a week, can't get enough of it.
So that's my story. Looking forward to future discussions!

One thing I'll add yet, I don't know why more younger guys aren't into this sport, I do my best to tell everyone I know to give it a try.

Last edited:
20201024_104248.jpg

Hey you all.
I'm new on here, read through these forums for years but just recently dawned in me to join.
I don't do social media, but I thought this would be fun.
So anyhow my name is Brian Kauffman and I'm 31 years old from Central PA.

One thing I'll add yet, I don't know why more younger guys aren't into this sport, I do my best to tell everyone I know to give it a try.
Welcome Brian from the state of Nebraska. Nice rifle and cool photos!
Larry

Very nice looking gun, I can see why you like it so much. Welcome from AZ. Those are big squirrels. We have big ones like that here in AZ, but they are more rare and have furry tassels on their ears.

Hi Brian, welcome from northern New Mexico! This is a great forum with great folks. Nice pictures BTW. We have the same last name but you are misspelling it. You'll feel much better if you drop one of those "f's", trust me...
Ha, I hear ya!

Bet you are fond of the game getter. What's it's name? Welcome from the north side of the show me state.

Can't say I named the trade gun.
The rifles name is Leroy.
Named after John Jacob Leroy, killed on October 16, 1755 north of where I live here near Penns Creek. It was called the Penns Creek massacre.
Found dead in doorway of cabin with 2 tomahawks sunk in his skull.
There was serval settlers killed in a 2
week period after Braddock's defeat.

Its crazy to think what people want through and the hardships they delt with.

Nice story and nice photos. I guess there is still hope for America as long as there are young guys like you around. My Grandfather hopped a train headed west out of the Clearfield area in the late 1800's and never went back. I guess he liked the hills of Oregon better. I've always wanted to head back that way and look the country over but I know that it's like any other place I've gone back to, it just isn't there anymore. Things change and that's it.

Latest posts

Back