• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Young Country 301

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wb78963

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy Folks,.
I picked up an almost full little brown bottle of "Young Country 301" at a yard sale. There was a picture of a muzzle loading rifle on the label so I paid the outrageous price of fifty cents for it.
What is is and is it any good?
I am learning to shoot a Pedersoli .50 flintlock so will it work as a patch lube?
Thanks
Bunk

Search on the Forum came up with the following result from September 2019:

Yeah I also run out of spit. I have drawers full of home made lubes and had store bought too. Lyman lubes failed as did SPG. The best I have ever found is Young Country, keeps fouling soft and I never need to wipe the bore. When a ball gets stiff I just add more Young Country to the next patch without a change in impact. Tests have shown peanut oil or a mix of canola, corn and peanut but I have not tried safflower yet. I still believe a tad of lanolin helps.
I use hot water at home after the bores are clean so water dries fast and the bore is warm when a final lube is used.

So you obviously overpaid for that bottle. Better send it to me so I can properly dispose of it.

Thanks Grenadier 1758,
I am a kind of new at this flintlock thing. My experience is percussion hand guns mostly Colt replicas.
Them I have a lot of experience on, but this flintlock business is a whole new world for me I am working on the learning curve.
Thanks for the offer, but I will just use it up myself.
Bunk

Young Country was run by William Young out in So. California. The first marketed product was YCA#103, a ML patch lube that came in small screw lid jars. It was outstanding! Over time YCA (Young Country Arms) marketed other products for waterproofing leather, sealing wood, waxing skis, and other activities. I've known Mr. Young for 40 years and still use what I have left of the last jar of lube. I don't know the #301, but the next time we swap e-mails I'll ask him. BTW: YCA#103 has been around since 1980 and I've never found anything better. If used in accordance with the directions, it will prevent bore rust as well as be an excellent patch lube.

wb, Here is the way I do it. I have the forum on my tablet and phone. But I only use my phone for pictures. I take the picture on my phone. I start a message, like "here is a photo". Go to bottom of message area to "Attach files" button. Click attach files. This should direct you to your photo library on your device. Click the photo you want. Wait for file(picture) to finish uploading. It shows a percentage while loading. When it's done, post your msg. Others may do it different. And I think you can also just post a picture with no text. Good luck.

Sorry the file is "too big" I tried a couple of times it is only 6.1 meg so I give up.
If I can figure it out the picture will be posted.
Bunk

Sorry the file is "too big" I tried a couple of times it is only 6.1 meg so I give up.
If I can figure it out the picture will be posted.
Bunk
You will need to use your photo application to resize the photo to about 900 pixels wide. Save the resized photo with a different name. Use the resized photo to post here.

I used Young Country Arms 103 lube for my first muzzle loader built in 1972. Loved the stuff but can't find it anymore. Was supposedly used by the fruit canning industry to lubricate wheels or bearings and of food grade quality. I made popcorn with it at one hunting camp, ate it and am still around. Gene High in Texas between Dallas and Fort Worth (nearest Six Flags Over Texas) had a Gene High Bore Seasonlng lube. When he passed away Pat Serrena and Clark (?)(?) bought the formula and continued to market it from Colorado. After Pat passed away I bought some of the remaining 4 and 8 ounce tins. I don't believe in seasoning modern steel alloy muzzle loading barrels but used 103 and Gene's lube for patch lube. Have old sperm whale oil, jojoba, make own bear and beeswax lube, tried Ballistol but if 103 lube was still around I'd still be using it.

Back