• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Young Country 103 patch lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K. D. Wood

32 Cal
Reaction score
Just had a box of "Young Country Lube 103" patch lube walk into the store. 12 - 4oz tubs that look to be still good. I know back before all of this new 'SABOT' stuff started that it was very popular. Is anybody out there still lubing patches for their round balls like I do? Let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a box of "Young Country Lube 103" patch lube walk into the store. 12 - 4oz tubs that look to be still good. I know back before all of this new 'SABOT' stuff started that it was very popular. Is anybody out there still lubing patches for their round balls like I do? Let me know.

Howdy KD and welcome to the forum. We're always glad to have new members, if they're new to the addiction or have several decades of experience.

You may have missed the part that this thread is for introductions and making acquaintances, and not much for asking questions.

So tell us a little about yourself and feel free to start another thread in the General Muzzleloading section about your bullet lube.

Me, I'm from Texas and headed to bed, cause 0430 comes early for this old man. But it's the 2nd week of rifle season for deer and I got an itchy finger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Florida!

The Young Country Lube 103 is legendary. Lots of people state it was the best patch lube ever made, and rue its demise. Personally, I've never tried it. I like Old Zip Patch Grease from Dixie Gun Works, which is also no longer available, although it shouldn't be hard to duplicate. I still have most of an open tin of it, and another tin that has yet to be opened, so I'm good for a while.

Anyway, we hope you'll try your Young Country Lube and let us know how you like it.

Welcome to the forum!

Notchy Bob

Welcome to the forum , K D. from .Pa.................Whatever grease lube you use, apply to both sides of the patch , and with finger smooth all excess grease off before loading. My preference is, for larger calibers , especially , above ,45, use grease. I get fired patches that look almost good enough to use again. Small calibers will digest most anything from spit patch to grease if you like.........Just my preference.....................oldwood

Here at Wood Bros Sporting Arms & Repair, in Knoxville, TN, just had a box of "Young Country Lube 103" patch lube walk in. 12 - 4oz tubs that look to be still good. I know back before all of this new 'SABOT' stuff started that it was very popular. Is anybody out there still lubing patches for their round balls like I do? Let me know.
I used the old "patch lube 103" from my reenactment days late 70's and early to mid 80's. It was an excellent lube when I did not need to be histerically accurate. (lol) I would love to buy some from you if there is any still available as I am picking up my flinter again to shoot with grandson. I know I can make my own but this would be great for me. If so inclined you may contact me at [email protected]. Thank You.!

it smells like baby powder and a has a wax/mineral oil feel.

brand new jar i just bought.
306553005_10159408497532875_1032977709816135033_n.jpg

301809358_10159408497772875_1793220112202026272_n.jpg

I picked up a 4.5 ounce tub [103] at a flea market. A tablespoon full has been used. I will give it a try this spring. It sure feels good, I may use it on my old, dry hands. :rolleyes: Polecat 🦨

Back