You Think You Have It Bad...,

Discussion in 'Revolutionary War' started by Loyalist Dave, Oct 24, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Oct 24, 2019 #1

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

For an Ague, by Dr. Mead. (1753)

Take a Spider alive, cover it with new soft crummy Bread without bruising it ; let the Patient swallow it fasting. This is an effectual Cure, but many are set against it. It has been frequently given to People, who did not know the Contents, and had the desired Effect.

It doesn't specify the size or type of spider. An ague is a fever with shivering. Malaria is thought to be a common ailment labelled as an "ague".

LD

Artificer likes this.
  2. Oct 24, 2019 #2

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

62 Cal.

Precisely why I read history with a salt shaker in hand and medical cures with one eye.
    Great quote! :thumb:

3. Oct 24, 2019 #3

ThumperJones

ThumperJones

ThumperJones

36 Cl. MLF Supporter

I've been doing it for years as preventive maintenance, haven't had malaria or an ague yet! :horseback:

Pukka Bundook, Pete G and tenngun like this.
  4. Oct 24, 2019 #4

30coupe

30coupe

30coupe

40 Cal.

How is one to be sure the spider is not bruised? If the "cure" fails, obviously it was because you bruised the damn spider!

Careful, the PETA folks will be after you for cruelty to spiders.

tenngun and ThumperJones like this.
  5. Oct 24, 2019 #5

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

Thanks for the post.

Up to now, I thought ague was the term used for both malaria and the flu.
    I found that ague was used for malaria. Grippe was the term they used for flu-like illnesses.

6. Oct 25, 2019 #6

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

Indeed, LD, thanks for the post.

It led to me finding out the source of the ailment named "Croup," which was still being used to describe ailments when I and my siblings had it while growing up.

"CROUP was a form of CATARRH triggered by an acute viral infection with symptoms of “barking” that often worsened at night. The name for the disease was first used in Scotland and popularized in the 1700s."

https://www.geriwalton.com/common-ailments-complaints-and-diseases/

Gus

7. Oct 26, 2019 #7

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Looked it up in my new copy of ‘Everyman his on physician’ croup wasn’t mentioned but cough was.
    The cure was oil of sweet almonds, syrup of balsam mixed in barley water with sprits of sal volatile ( smelling salts ),mixed well and taken in two spoon fulls as needed.
    Taken for a few days, but if that didn’t stop the cough then the fall back was the cure all.....
    bleeding.
    Sounds better then eating live spiders
    Puts me in mind of the weird sisters of Macbeth.

8. Oct 26, 2019 #8

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Apparently humans get various forms of the "croup" as they live, but when the bronchial structures in the chest mature, the "honk" from the larynx stops being one of the symptoms...according to my kid's pediatrician (he also likes looking into ancient diseases)

Whooping cough was a killer at the turn of the 20th century. It seems children simply exhausted themselves to death, due to the cough. Heroin was first used to ween folks of morphine, and then it was used for children with whooping cough, and it was for them a miracle cure. In very low doses it quieted the cough, allowing sleep and the body to complete the task of defeating the bacteria and clearing the lungs. Because of parental control of medication the withdrawal from the narcotic was not really noticed as it resembled the previous symptoms of the infection. It wasn't until wider use on adults that the "habit forming" properties of the narcotic were discovered.

LD

Artificer likes this.
  9. Oct 26, 2019 #9

Artificer

Artificer

Artificer

Cannon MLF Supporter

That was very interesting. In the mid/late 1950's, the standard remedy from a Doctor was a prescription Orange Cough Syrup Medicine that contained codeine. Years later when I was in my early 20's, I tasted "Southern Comfort" for the first time and I could not understand my visceral reaction against it, until I remembered it tasted pretty much the same as that Orange Cough Syrup.

I also read sometime a long time ago that "Croup" was also used to define when a membrane formed in the throat and they used breathing steam to break it up.

Gus

10. Nov 5, 2019 #10

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

62 Cal.

From a letter written in 1866

Dear Fred,
    You will have had little difficulty in explaining my long silence as arising from the mental condition that is generated by more than 2 weeks of incessant toothache and rheumatism. However, a turning-point appears to have been reached today.
    As the pain of the rheumatism, which was particularly acute at night, greatly interfered with my sleep and my whole domestic routine — as a consequence of which I was several times attacked by vomiting — I thought it wise to stop, or suspend, the arsenic. But I shall continue with it again now (if a turning-point has really been reached). Nor is there the slightest sign of any furuncular or carbuncular bother, and I have not the slightest doubt that once I am over these incidents, which are connected more with the weather, I shall be fully restored. But indeed it is high time as I have already lost so much time.

11. Nov 5, 2019 #11

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

I don't know why the person was taking arsenic but I suspect it was to improve his/her appearance.

In the 1902 Sear's catalog on page 447 you'll find, "Dr. Rose's French Arsenic Complexion Wafers". The description says,

"PERFECTLY HARMLESS when used in accordance with our directions, it possesses the "Wizard's Touch" in producing, preserving and enhancing beauty of form and person in male and female by surely developing a transparency and pellucid clearness of complexion, shapely contour of form, brilliant eyes, soft and smooth skin, where by nature the reverse exists."

I'm sure these wondrous benifits were known 50 years and more before Sear's was selling Dr. Rose's wafers.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  12. Nov 5, 2019 #12

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

62 Cal.

I thought I had heard that Val Kilmer took arsenic for the movie Tombstone, to make himself look sick and emaciated. Not sure if it's true, but it's bonkers.

flinter1977 likes this.
  13. Nov 5, 2019 #13

flinter1977

flinter1977

flinter1977

32 Cal

One of my favorite movies . next to the patriot.

14. Nov 6, 2019 #14

wcubed

wcubed

wcubed

36 Cl.

I loved the taste of that medicine! I always wanted more.

15. Nov 6, 2019 #15

mushka

mushka

mushka

36 Cal.

Living on naval installations as a kid in the early 50's, when suffering from a cold or plugged up head, all we had to do was go to the dispensary and get a bottle of what they called GI Gin. Lots of noxious stuff in it but it worked. Was a little thick and looked like pee. I learned to love the stuff.

flinter1977 likes this.
  16. Nov 7, 2019 at 3:39 AM #16

Grumpa

Grumpa

Grumpa

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

Paregoric was a staple in the medicine cabinet when I was young. From pain, to the sweet sleep of Morphia. And when my babes were teething, a little whiskey rubbed on the gum would soothe the pain.

Richard/Grumpa

tenngun likes this.
  17. Nov 7, 2019 at 5:39 AM #17

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

That and mama drinking a beer before nursing. That helped baby sleep all night.
    “If you want your child to grow
    Child to grow child to grow
    If you want your child to grow
    Give him a a jar of porter.”

18. Nov 7, 2019 at 1:39 PM #18

Walkingeagle

Walkingeagle

Walkingeagle

32 Cal.

Hows that old ad go, “Mommy and baby both love Pabst!” Picturing a pregnant lady.
    Walk

tenngun likes this.
  19. Nov 9, 2019 at 5:01 AM #19

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

Carbon 6

62 Cal.

Before Prohibition, Anheuser-Busch produced a low-alcohol brew called Malt-Nutrine, billed as “a sparkling non-intoxicant” that was “a highly concentrated liquid extract of malt and hops.” It contained only 1.99 percent alcohol, and was prescribed for pregnant and lactating women.

Malted barley is a necessary ingredient for all types of beer and, malted or not, barley has been shown to affect the secretion of prolactin — one of the two hormones responsible for milk production. Oxytocin, the “feel-good” hormone, is necessary for the letdown step of lactation, and it makes sense that having a drink can help a woman relax and increase her levels of oxytocin. Hops, another ingredient present in all types of beer to varying degrees, are likely to have a relaxing or sedative effect as well, from 2-methyl-3-butene-2-ol found in hops.
    Ironically fresh hops contain very little of the compound, but the levels increase in dry aged hops (up to 2 years).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2019-11-8_22-47-52.jpeg

[​IMG]

20. Nov 12, 2019 at 3:01 PM #20

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Then you have the various cough meds.....

COUG MEDS GROUP.jpg

The first is cannabis, chloroform, and alcohol, in water,...note it's Doctor Macalister's, but the guy who is making and selling it is John Lee....
    The second is actually Ashma Cigarettes...:confused: ...just be sure your kid is older than 6, before he or she lights-up!
    The third is Bayer heroin, as I've mentioned in a previous post,
    The last one is the "one night" cough syrup...alcohol, cannabis, chloroform, and just in case, morphine...maybe it should be labeled "last night" cough syrup! :D

LD

Grumpa likes this.