• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

You REALLY want to ship to California??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Any dealer or Person NOT wanting to ship to California?
I don't blame them in the least. Dealers don't want to deal with the petty B*** S***!! :mad:

Under CA laws...
A blackpowder percussion cap firearm is still considered a "firearm" [PC 16520(a)] and is also considered an "antique firearm" under CA laws. [PC 16170(b)]

Because it uses a percussion cap ignition system, it is also an "antique firearm" that is exempt from CA generally prohibited weapons laws. [PC 16170(c)(1)]

Which means the following exemptions to CA firearm laws applies...

"Antique firearms" [PC 16170(b)] are only exempt from the following CA firearm laws:
01. Infrequent transfers. [PC 16520(d)(1)]
02. CA DROS. [PC 16520(d)(2)]
03. Operation of law transfers. [PC 16520(d)(3)]
04. "used firearm" transfer laws. [PC 16520(d)(4)]
05. Unloaded handgun open carry laws. [PC 16520(d)(5)]
06. Unloaded long gun open carry laws. [PC 16520(d)(6)]
07. Requirement to be a CA FFL dealer in order to transfer it. [PC 16520(d)(7)]
08. CA FFL dealer requirements when transferring firearms. [PC 16520(d)(8)]
09. Required minimum age of 21 for a dealer to transfer to. [PC 16520(d)(9)]
10. Required identifying marks/engravings on handguns. [PC 16520(d)(10)]
11. 10 day waiting period. [PC 16520(d)(11)]
12. PPT requirement to transfer through CA FFL dealer. [PC 16520(d)(12)]
13. Registration requirement for importing into CA and requirement to use CA FFL dealer to legally import into CA. [PC 16520(d)(13)]
14. Requirement to be licensed as a manufacturer in order to legally make in CA. [PC 16520(d)(14)]
15. Residential firearm storage requirements for prohibited persons. [PC 16520(d)(15)]
16. "home built firearm" marking/engraving and registration requirements. [PC 16520(d)(16)]

In addition to the above, specific types of "antique firearms" [PC 16170(c)] are also exempt from these additional CA firearm laws: [PC 17700]
01. Camouflaging firearm container laws.
02. Cane gun laws.
03. Unrecognizable firearm laws.
04. Short Barrel Rifle laws.
05. Short Barrel Shotgun laws.
06. Unconventional pistol laws.
07. Undetectable firearm laws.
08. Wallet gun laws.
09. Zip gun laws.
Clear as mud??
Makes you want to take up basket weaving. :rolleyes: :mad:
And the listing about the "Dealer" NOT wanting to ship to some Counties California?
Those Counties listed are all in the San Francisco Bay area. :oops::mad:
And I might add, Just had a built Fowler shipped back to me in Nor Cal from Ohio.
The builder is a retired LEO and we had NO ISSUES about shipping to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any dealer or Person NOT wanting to ship to California?
I don't blame them in the least. Dealers don't want to deal with the petty B*** S***!! :mad:

Under CA laws...
A blackpowder percussion cap firearm is still considered a "firearm" [PC 16520(a)] and is also considered an "antique firearm" under CA laws. [PC 16170(b)]

Because it uses a percussion cap ignition system, it is also an "antique firearm" that is exempt from CA generally prohibited weapons laws. [PC 16170(c)(1)]

Which means the following exemptions to CA firearm laws applies...

"Antique firearms" [PC 16170(b)] are only exempt from the following CA firearm laws:
01. Infrequent transfers. [PC 16520(d)(1)]
02. CA DROS. [PC 16520(d)(2)]
03. Operation of law transfers. [PC 16520(d)(3)]
04. "used firearm" transfer laws. [PC 16520(d)(4)]
05. Unloaded handgun open carry laws. [PC 16520(d)(5)]
06. Unloaded long gun open carry laws. [PC 16520(d)(6)]
07. Requirement to be a CA FFL dealer in order to transfer it. [PC 16520(d)(7)]
08. CA FFL dealer requirements when transferring firearms. [PC 16520(d)(8)]
09. Required minimum age of 21 for a dealer to transfer to. [PC 16520(d)(9)]
10. Required identifying marks/engravings on handguns. [PC 16520(d)(10)]
11. 10 day waiting period. [PC 16520(d)(11)]
12. PPT requirement to transfer through CA FFL dealer. [PC 16520(d)(12)]
13. Registration requirement for importing into CA and requirement to use CA FFL dealer to legally import into CA. [PC 16520(d)(13)]
14. Requirement to be licensed as a manufacturer in order to legally make in CA. [PC 16520(d)(14)]
15. Residential firearm storage requirements for prohibited persons. [PC 16520(d)(15)]
16. "home built firearm" marking/engraving and registration requirements. [PC 16520(d)(16)]

In addition to the above, specific types of "antique firearms" [PC 16170(c)] are also exempt from these additional CA firearm laws: [PC 17700]
01. Camouflaging firearm container laws.
02. Cane gun laws.
03. Unrecognizable firearm laws.
04. Short Barrel Rifle laws.
05. Short Barrel Shotgun laws.
06. Unconventional pistol laws.
07. Undetectable firearm laws.
08. Wallet gun laws.
09. Zip gun laws.
Clear as mud??
Makes you want to take up basket weaving. :rolleyes: :mad:
And the listing about the "Dealer" NOT wanting to ship to some Counties California?
Those Counties listed are all in the San Francisco Bay area. :oops::mad:
And I might add, Just had a built Fowler shipped back to me in Nor Cal from Ohio.
The builder is a retired LEO and we had NO ISSUES about shipping to me.

I wouldn’t ship anything there either.
ANYTHING

I have a co worker who ordered a modern firearm from a manufacturer direct.
It was accidentally shipped to a CA FFL with the same business name as the FFL he had lined up locally for the Xfer.
Curious to see how this plays out, CA DOJ is going to want to know how/why it came into the state without the CFLC notice/approval.
Good times inbound….

Sorry, but this is mostly just silly nonsense. The only REAL issue shipping BP guns to California is the attitude of people who think because they don't like California's politics, shipping a BP gun there is going to bring the gub'mint down on their heads. Frankly, it's tiresome. Here's how you ship a BP gun to California: Put it in a box and drop it off at the Post Office, UPS or FedEx. I've been living here my whole life and buying/selling BP for most of that. Good grief....

I DO KNOW that shipping "guns" into California can be a real PITA. And that in itself can be a big issue. Folks like nice and easy. Did have to call one dealer and mention that BPs are NOT classed as firearms in California. Once he knew that, no problem shipping. ;)

I've negotiated a deal over email and everything was very smooth and friendly until I gave my address for shipping. Suddenly, I got an earful of chants and conspiracy theories and extreme party politics. Followed by a hard rewind on the deal! One guy even told me I could only have the gun (a kit, in this case) if I agreed to move out of my state! One One deal, I even agreed to do all the work--send a prepaid postal shipping box with my address in both the 'from' and 'to.' He only needed to drop at the window. NOPE! He would never 'help' Commiefornia in any way', which apparently included making a friend and selling a BP gun to a fellow BP enthusiast and 2A supporter who happens to live, work, raise a beautiful family and SHOOT... in California. Again... good grief!

I wish people could understand that we aren't a monoculture out here.

800px-2020_United_States_presidential_election_in_California_results_map_by_census_block_group.svg.png
(Census block group results 2020, Wikipedia)

Where have you heard that?
Someone had mentioned it being in the San Jose area and further South? Don't know it for a fact, just relating what was said. A Gun Shop can put restrictions (not laws) on anything. If you don't like them and the way they do business, don't buy from them. It's up to you.

Someone had mentioned it being in the San Jose area and further South? Don't know it for a fact, just relating what was said. A Gun Shop can put restrictions (not laws) on anything. If you don't like them and the way they do business, don't buy from them. It's up to you.
Hehe,

Well, I wasn't so much looking for business advice about who to buy from as I was pointing out that this notion of buying/selling BP guns in this state is mostly BS. To your point, you 'heard' something about 'Liberal Counties' that thousands of people probably heard from the same water cooler. Near as I can tell, it's a good example of my point, though, because I've had no issues in SF County, SLO, Stanislaus, Berkeley or LA. It doesn't get more liberal than some of those. I'm in San Diego now, but like everywhere else here, they just go by the state law... which is very lax on BP guns.

On certain net auction sites you can automatically eliminate states you won't sell to. CA is not alone and the list is growing. day by day. I must say that as a seller i have had more problem buyers in CA and NY than all the other states combined. Might be a population density thing, I dunno. FWIW My residual LEO spies down in CA are saying illicit gun sales are out of control and enforcement is becoming harder if not impossible. Seems the tighter the rules the greater the profit margins.

A rock about 4 inches square. A cheap paperback Bible. A black powder gun. The laws for shipping these in and out of California are all exactly the same. California is extremely permissive and hassle free regarding shipments of black powder firearms in or out.
For instance Midway will ship a percussion revolver and a .45 ACP cartridge conversion cylinder that fits that revolver in the same shipping box into California to a private residence. This is because Midway knows the laws of all the States and does not wish to foolishly limit their target sales audience which would reduce their profits.

Many stopped caring about CA laws some time ago and its starting to show. When folks see the a states absolute inability to enforce law in general it won't be pretty. Some Police depts cannot respond to anything other than major crimes much less regulatory issues. The illusion of enforcement is wearing thin.

A rock about 4 inches square. A cheap paperback Bible. A black powder gun. The laws for shipping these in and out of California are all exactly the same. California is extremely permissive and hassle free regarding shipments of black powder firearms in or out.
For instance Midway will ship a percussion revolver and a .45 ACP cartridge conversion cylinder that fits that revolver in the same shipping box into California to a private residence. This is because Midway knows the laws of all the States and does not wish to foolishly limit their target sales audience which would reduce their profits.
THIS!!

Many stopped caring about CA laws some time ago and its starting to show. When folks see the a states absolute inability to enforce law in general it won't be pretty. Some Police depts cannot respond to anything other than major crimes much less regulatory issues. The illusion of enforcement is wearing thin.
As a former LEO in CA, I must confess that I have no idea what you might be talking about.

CA is just like NY. State laws are dictated by the legislators from the big cities and not by the people in general. Most people in the city have a very skewed view of firearms as the associate them with the thugs that run the streets. NY continues to run afoul of the Constitution with its gun laws. While not all of the laws have been affected, the general view of the State is that black powder guns are firearms and it won't be long before transfers here will have to be through an FFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back