• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

You guys are killing me!!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bowhunter57

32 Cal.
Reaction score
You guys are killing me! :surrender: I've been reading all these posts on Walkers and have got the fever....bad.

I considered a Remy, a Dragoon, but thought...naaa, I might as well go all the way and get the big boy. I probably won't be able to afford one until next year. Meanwhile, I guess I'll just sift through you guys' posts and druel. :bow:

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

Ha! This one is really going to hurt!
P1140022.jpg

Mykeal,
I've given some thought to purchasing a 3rd model Dragoon, but I don't know how much power I'd be giving up or if I need it.

I'd definately be using this revolver for hunting varmints. The groundhogs would love me. :haha:

How much of a power and/or powder difference is there between the Walker and a 3rd model Dragoon?

My Walkers will take 60 grains of FFFg GOEX, though I usually load 55 grains. I use 45 grains in my Dragoons. There is no way a Dragoon with its inch and a half shorter barrel and its quarter inch shorter cylinder can match the Walker's power. And the Dragoon only saves about five ounces over the Walker.

You will hear about the dreaded dropping loading lever problem with the Walker. This doesn't happen with all Walkers in the first place and is simple to fix if it happens anyway.

Can't say about a dragoon (I don't have that model) - but my Walker is one of the most accurate pistols I own.

My Walker has never been a problem with the lever dropping - Still, I'm curious - whats an easy fix for one that does. At some point, I will probably get another one. Sort of like the idea of 2.

For my San Marco Walker I did what some folks did "back then". I put a loading lever latch on the front. Actually wasn't all that hard. I like the Dragoon latch better, but didn't have a Dragoon at the time so didn't know the difference.

For my Colt 3rd Gen, the lever dosen't fall all that often, so left it as is.

Both Walkers seem more accurate w/ conicals, but my Colt 3rd gen Dragoon is actually more accurate.

Bowhunter57 said:
Mykeal,
How much of a power and/or powder difference is there between the Walker and a 3rd model Dragoon?

I second Russ's answer. But, it isn't about power, it's about accuracy and shot placement. Get the one you can shoot best, not the one I or someone else likes.

I have a question for Russ T. Frizzen, PRM, Forgetful Jones and mykeal:
Have you guys noticed any "frame stretch" or loss of accuracy due to the lack of a top strap or closed frame?

My reason for asking is that many of the BP revolver shooters that I've talked to in my area are telling me that the revolvers with top straps or full frames retain their accuracy much longer than the open framed revolvers.

Any information you can provide between these two frame styles is greatly appreciated.

mykeal,
I agree with you on "shot placement and accuracy". As a bowhunter, it is just as important to make the first shot count too.

Thank you, Bowhunter57

My Colt 2nd Generation 51 Navies, and 1862 Pocket Police and Pocket Navy date back to the early 80s. How many rounds (don't really know)??? Several thousand through each conservatively speaking. I always shoot 17gr FFF in the Pocket Models and 22 gr FFF in the full size. Which is not a heavy load, but gets the job done. They are just as good today as when I bought them.

Only had my Walker about a year and a half - still fairly new.

From what I have seen on others, if you start shooting heavy loads, you might have to eventually replace a wedge.

I've not noticed any "frame stretch", whatever that is, with my new made Colt replicas. Have about 10, including the 2nd gen Dragoon & 3rd gen Walker. I do have an original (1863) 1851 Navy with a 3/16" gap between the barrel & cylinder, but that's an anomoly with other original colts I've inspected/owned. Don't know why there's a gap: the arbor is not bent, cylinder has not been shortened, & forcing cone appears to be the correct length, but it could have been shortened. Don't think the frame stretched :grin: .

I believe the "frame stretching" comment was probably from those cautioning against brass framed Colts. They do shoot loose after a while, but not for occasional shooting.

Take a fine file and make a few passes across the catch that holds the lever up. You want to slightly file the part of the catch that mates with the lever itself. I wouldn't bother with it if you aren't having the problem.

You can also fit the latch and catch from the Dragoon models too. This is more involved but definitely will do the job. It is supposed to have been done occasionally in period so it's P.C. if that is a concern.

I've never seen frame stretch in any steel framed revolver and only rarely in brass framed ones. There are a lot of old wives tales out there. If anybody can stretch a Walker's frame using blackpowder or an accepted substitute I'd sure like to be there to see it. Or any other quality built steel frame Colt style revolver for that matter.

I once loosened up a Pietta 51 in 36 using 22gr equivalent of 777 when it first came out. I was elated with the 1100 fps velocity of the round ball until I broke the gun down for cleaning. My cylinder pin was wobbling in the steel frame. No more 777 in an open top ever again...........Bob

Not going to unless it starts giving problems. I really don't ever plan on altering a Colt with a catch. I had heard if they gave problems there was a way to do some file work to stop it - just did not know what they were talking about. Thanks

Bowhunter57 said:
I have a question for Russ T. Frizzen, PRM, Forgetful Jones and mykeal:
Have you guys noticed any "frame stretch" or loss of accuracy due to the lack of a top strap or closed frame?

My reason for asking is that many of the BP revolver shooters that I've talked to in my area are telling me that the revolvers with top straps or full frames retain their accuracy much longer than the open framed revolvers.

I've been shooting some of my guns for over 30 years (notice that the Uberti 2nd Dragoon was made in 1977). There is no evidence of any frame stretch or loss of accuracy in any of my guns, open frame or not. Of course, I rarely shoot max loads as I believe in being as accurate as possible rather than making lots of smoke and noise for effect.

Any gun can be abused and thus damaged. Frankly, if I were one of the people who had told you the open top guns lose accuracy I'd be embarrassed, because that person has probably been abusing his guns. He should know better.

Bowhunter57 said:
You guys are killing me! :surrender: I've been reading all these posts on Walkers and have got the fever....bad.

I considered a Remy, a Dragoon, but thought...naaa, I might as well go all the way and get the big boy. I probably won't be able to afford one until next year. Meanwhile, I guess I'll just sift through you guys' posts and druel. :bow:

You got the fever BAD! My Walker is the most reliable and most accurate BP pistol that I own! It wins competitions all of the time...and with a 50 grain load of 3Fg Goex, a wonder-wad and a .454 Hornady ball. Using a custom designed and hand-built (not by me) loading stand to ensure maximum uniform pressure on each charge in EVERY chamber helps ensure that the revolver gets it's chance to behave well. Been winning competitions for a few years now...once you get used to it, you'll never want to put it down!

One word of advice, though: realize that the gun was intended to be used for long-range work. At 25 yards, mine shoots the above load exactly 6.5 inches high, so I aim accordingly, as my revolver is "out-of-the-box".

Hope that you don't wait until Christmas to get yours :wink: .

Dave

Back