• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You fine fellows are lucky.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas, as a sovereign country, joined the Union via treaty.

One of the conditions of the treaty was that all lands not privately owned would become property of the State of Texas...not the Federal Government (which is what happened as part of the process of a territory becoming a state.)

I totally understand but between New Mexico, Colorado , Wyoming and Montana there are millions and millons of acres of BLM land. In Texas we have one area in deep East Texas about 2 hours from Houston and at one time it was about 100,000 acres but I understand much of it has been sold off as well. A deer lease here on a properly managed piece of property varies from about 4-8 thousand dollars per year. You can get a day lease for a few hundred bucks but it's a manure shoot as to whether the land owner takes care of it properly.

Yes, here in CO we have a bunch of BLM land. And national forest too as well as state land we can hunt. Our issue is that people buy up land around these sections and make it impossible to get to in some areas as we cannot "corner jump" property lines. and most of the critters know where they are safe, which doesn't make the hunt any easier. I have hunted in WY too and in some areas, I run into the same issue. OnX hunt has helped me a ton and got me into areas I wouldn't have normally found. The other issue, and I am sure that everyone who hunts is aware of, is that the decreasing land that we hunters can use, also funnels more hunters into one area and makes for an unsafe adventure. Its really a bummer when you get to a place where you feel good about the possibilities, only to find that the area is crawling with other hunters. I have made the most of the situation by knocking on doors, explaining that I hunt with a traditional muzzleloader, I explain the difficulty that goes with traditional muzzleloading and explain what critters I want to hunt and why (for meat and not trophy). I am fortunate that I have been given permission to hunt on a few properties.

The only crowding I see near me is during rifle seasons which I never hunt. It's rare for me to see even one other hunter during muzzleloader season.

Back