• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

You fine fellows are lucky.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Texas isn't so great after all. Heck, everything east of it is manure. The west is God country. We are blessed with a surplus of state and federal land. Even western washington has plenty of land to hunt.

I was born and lived in Georgia for 62 years. Deer are literally everywhere in the Deep South; and the Ga. bag limit is 12 deer! You can believe I got my share. In Maine, where I now live, Most of the state is wilderness and it's easy to find a hunting place. Maine has the largest unbroken forest area of any of the lower 48. You certainly do not want to go on a do-it-yourself hunt in that area, and I think a guide is mandatory anyhow. Get lost there and you may be dead. There have been hikers who got lost and starved to death only to be stumbled upon years later. Death from falls and hypothermia seem to occur every year. But a guide is a good bet for a successful and safe hunt.

Hi there, yes I eluded to the Angelina and Davy Crokett National forests in my posts above even though I didn' tlist them by name. I went to SFA in the 90's and hunted it some and even then the maps provided by the Forresty Service made the area looke like a checkerboard because of all of the private property interlaced with it. I can't imagine what it would look like today. Btw....besides the state parks that's it in Texas. I don't think that's plenty imo and because of it's proximity to Houston it is over hunted.
I don't know about over hunted, I own property adjoining the Davy Crockett NF and I have plenty of deer and am nearly over run with hogs.

What I found interesting in that video, he is supposed to be a hunter, but doesn't recognize what he has in his hand, and ask his audience what it is :oops:. He should know as a hunter (especially one doing videos) it is the shoulder blade of an animal :doh:. DANNY

Wealthy elites and Chinese hidden investors are buying up Florida wild lands.
Then too, general population increases take up habitat. Still plenty of places to
hunt in the South and West-- but you will not be alone as in times past.
General rising population leads to hunting pressure in many places. Us older
folks tend to have land for hunting and all, but young people is who I worry
about. Especially when politicians tell the world to just come in and take what
you want- "we have open borders for everyone" who wants what we have worked
and suffered to have here. Billions of people are hoping to come here. The
future standards of living of the young folks will drop low with over-population.

Come hunt for elk in Colorado. Easy tag to get with no points and we have 25 million acres of public land for you to get lost in.

C2E1AF24-7857-407D-94BD-67D69487DA99.png

I live in Ft. Worth.
Andy, 1 hr North of you is LBJ grasslands i grew up around there deer turkey hogs and hogs quail and dove squirrel its around 20,000 acres. just a couple hours from you in East Texas you have the big sam houston national forest san augustine national forest angelina national forest davy crocket national forest. go to a tpwd office and buy the 48.00 public land permit in east texas there are over 1 million acres alone not counting all of the WMA land around you

Even if there are plenty of public lands to hunt the problem often is that you need some sort of permit, usually by a drawing, that makes it darn near impossible to get a tag. The basic problem is that there are just too many people in the world competing for the space. My Dad quit hunting in 1965 because in his opinion there were too damn many people in the woods. He wouldn't believe how crazy it is now.

Public lands and state wildlife areas around here have two problems for us older guys, especially if you hunt alone for big game(deer). Fairly heavy use, and if you are older like me you have to drag out your kill. A lot of it is on heavily rolling rocky land and dragging a deer out up and down hills through brush etc. isn't for a geezer. Most of these areas don't allow vehicles of any kind on the walk in land and the public areas only allow them on established roads which means a kill may be a long way from the road.

ive spent the better part of 30 years hunting public land 11 P&y bucks every year tagging out, public can be awesome with some effort and the reward is great when you trick that big ole boar or buck. most p[eople wont and dont venture to far into the forest and the privatre lands within the forest can be some of your best hunting as where i live most people have cattle and have nice green lucious grass for the cows i do have quite a few private properties to hunt but i favor public land where baiting is not allowed its your wits vs the beasts wits

Public lands and state wildlife areas around here have two problems for us older guys, especially if you hunt alone for big game(deer). Fairly heavy use, and if you are older like me you have to drag out your kill. A lot of it is on heavily rolling rocky land and dragging a deer out up and down hills through brush etc. isn't for a geezer. Most of these areas don't allow vehicles of any kind on the walk in land and the public areas only allow them on established roads which means a kill may be a long way from the road.
I've never understood dragging out game. I've been hunting 70 years and have never dragged out any game. Skin it, quarter it, and carry it out. I can't imagine dragging anything out in the Colorado Rockies. As you get older and hunting for elk we go one step farther and bone it out too so we don't have to carry out bones.

Besides dragging the whole animal out you're also dragging a bunch of body parts you're going to throw away. It makes no sense to me.

I sure would like to try my hand at harvesting a whitetail with a sidelock but with so little public land in Texas that will be difficult(99% of the state is in private hands). In addition I've seen what leases cost on a well managed piece of property. My buddy up in Wyoming has offered to take me on BLM land there but the 16hr drive means I have to burn some pretty serious PTO to make that happen.🙁
I had no idea that so much land in Texas was privately held. Guess it goes back to their independent history!

Back