• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

York update

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agill

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Here are some pics:

The rear ramrod pipe.
P1010001-1.jpg

The center pipe.
P1010002-1.jpg

The front pipe.
P1010003.jpg

The sliding wood patchbox. The buttplate still needs filing.
P2200001.jpg

Looks great! Nice fitting of the brass-to-wood.

Dang! you're going to catch up to me and my York build! :shocked2: I'd better get busy.

Thanks. The wood has nice character. It probably should be a crime to let me put chisels to it. :grin:

Thanks. Ron Ehlert's DVD made this look easier than it was. I instaled the spring catch just as Ron showed. I didn't have a bench belt sander to shape the box. So, I placed a hand belt sander in the vice and rough shaped the wood. Next, I rasped, filed, and sanded by hand. Then I used the belt sander in the vice to finish shaping. I then went over it again by hand with 150 grit sandpaper to smoothe some spots. I'll finish sand later. The thumbnail ended up being a tad bit larger than planned due to a chip out, but I am satisfied with the result. The brass sheet worked pretty good. I couldn't get it as flush as Ron showed, but with a little blending with the file it will look pretty good I beleive. :thumbsup:

Thanks. You better get moving! I'm practicing drawing the carving and it looks pretty good. I plan on doing carving in the styl of John Greff as Ron Ehlert showed in the DVD.

I still need to do the sights and either a hunter's star or moon. I ordered both. Not sure which I want yet. ALso, the touch hole liner needs drilled and installed. Some sanding, a little molding and possibly some engraving and it will be ready to put the finish on. Not much left realy. I need to practice some. The touch hole is probaly next in line. Then sights. By then the inlays should arrive. I can almost smell the smoke! :thumbsup:

Flint, what caliber did you end up getting? Oh yeah and by the looks of things so far I think the wood will do just fine with you behind the chisel.

Latest posts

Back