• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

York Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok Bowhunter

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Placed my order with Jim Chambers this week for a York kit in 45 cal. Now the wait for the kit begins. They have the barrel in stock, but the stock will be 4 to 6 weeks out, oh well. I have been buying files, rasp, chisels, and a wood carvers vise. I also been watching the Ron Ehlert and Turpin videos as well as reading "Recreating the American Longrifle" and "The Gunsmith of Grenville County." Started a wood carving class at the local Votech. Can't wait to get started.

The last kit I built was the Early York by Chamber's, in .45 cal. Mine has their standard curly maple stock with sliding wood patchbox. It is a wonderful handling, and very accurate rifle. My only suggestion is that you ensure the barrel is set far enough back to locate the vent liner in the correct location. Mine needed to go back 1/4 inch. Also, the stock is quite thick at the lock panels, and will need to be reduced by a 1/2 inch or so for the lock to fit up to the barrel. These are normal issues, and easily handled, but be alert to them. They may have corrected these items since mine was made. Oh, the normal curly maple stock is very nice, and the patchbox cover works fine.

Need pictures! :surrender:
The chambers kit interests me.....I like Lancasters!
What were the barrel length and specs, what were your thoughts?
Details please....... :hmm:

Once you get started I hope you can post some updates. I would follow this with interest. I am a step or two behind you and have been reading the same books and watching the same videos as you while I save up the money for the kit and tools. Man, this stuff is addictive.

I will show you the one I made, but bear in mind, I am not an expert builder, strictly amature. I know there are many things that could have been done better, but it does shoot well, is relatively light and well balanced, all attributes of the kit, and not things I added. The pictures show the rifle with an outside coned flash hole, that was not fast enough. I subsequently have retrofitted a white lightning, as provided by Chambers, and the speed of ignition is much better. Oh, this is my first attempt at carving, and is done with a V chisel, and not stabbed in as I don't have the proper tools. Anyway, here it is:

I just have to mention that this Rice barrel is very tolerant of different loads, shooting a one hole target with 60, and or 70 grains of powder used. It does not particuarly care. 80 grains also shoots well, patterning a little higher, but the same, side to side. I suspect if you had a 40 cal in this barrel, you could hunt squirels or deer with equal efficiency, only varying the powder charge.

Nice job! The color is very good for your 1st! I like it when they are dark around the handling places....looks right to me....

Fine looking rifle for a hobby builder.

I recognize the rifle quite easily just can't quite figure what that green substance that it's resting on is :hmm:

Beautiful rifle, nice color. Was AF used? Or, can a dark finish like that, be obtained with just dyes?

aqua fortis, 2 coats. The stock actually did not look to have much figure at all until the af hit it. That is why I had intended to make it dark.

Hey, that's a very credible crack at carving on the butt. Really nice design and neatly executed.
Congratulations! Can't wait to see #2, #3--#30

Kit parts not in yet but I did get a chance to clean up the work bench area.

DSC00309_zps0ea0a905.jpg
[/URL][/img]

Back