• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yo ho ho and a bottle of lube

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroncaTAL

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm kind of getting into this muzzleloading stuff. Went down to the local Bi Mart today to get the ingredients to whip up some Stumpy's Moose Juice. Came out of the store, and what the heck, the Goodwill was right next door. So I went on in to see what I could scrounge up and found this old bottle, perfect to keep some ol' juice. Headed on home to mix up a batch. Hmmm, needed a cork, so I looked around in a craft box we have, found an old champage cork. Trimmed it down to fit. Well the bottle had to have a label, jumped on the computer and this is what I came up with:

STUMPYS.jpg

Now I have to finish my range box and make a cubbyhole for this...
Scott

lol very good....just think of what ya could do with nuttin now :rotf: ............bob

I'm trying to find some tins and make up some Moose Snot. Hmmm, what sort of label can I make for that... :hmm:

Scott

I think you should use a picture of a moose taking a whiz... That'll really turn some heads :thumbsup:

:hmm: I like it! :hatsoff: But I don't see the ingretidents listed on the label, after all someone might think its an appertif! :rotf:

Scott,

think "Altoids"!

works well, can get you afew this sat if you like.

"just sorta gettin into this".....
Dude, you're hooked! 60 days from now, you will be in as deep as me! without a doubt!

Brett

41Aeronca said:
I'm kind of getting into this muzzleloading stuff. Went down to the local Bi Mart today to get the ingredients to whip up some Stumpy's Moose Juice. Came out of the store, and what the heck, the Goodwill was right next door. So I went on in to see what I could scrounge up and found this old bottle, perfect to keep some ol' juice. Headed on home to mix up a batch. Hmmm, needed a cork, so I looked around in a craft box we have, found an old champage cork. Trimmed it down to fit. Well the bottle had to have a label, jumped on the computer and this is what I came up with:

STUMPYS.jpg

Now I have to finish my range box and make a cubbyhole for this...
Scott

Dang, I would have to keep that bottle hid, some pards might drop by in their cups and inadvertently imbibe a dram of it, or maybe two. (some are slow learners) That moose juice would maybe then have a double meaning for lube. :rotf:

brett sr said:
Scott,

think "Altoids"!

Dude, you're hooked! 60 days from now, you will be in as deep as me! without a doubt!

Brett

I got a couple old Altoid tins around, but they are a chore to strip (I can't leave them like they are). I'll show you the one I've stripped the paint off and finished. I would like to find some plain metal tins to work with and save a step. I stopped by Michael's the other day and they told me that they didn't have any metal tins. And this is a craft store?! See you Saturday, 9:30 or so?
Scott

I put mine in the wood stove and cook the paint off and then rub with 4 ought steel wool followed with cold browning.

meeting at 9:30 and shoot by 10am.

let me know when you get there if you want to shoot handgun and I can set you up!...just to set the "hook" a little more!

Brett

You're spoiling me Brett! Hmmm, Yah I wouldn't mind trying one of your pistols. I did shoot one last time, I can't remember her name, but it was a nice Kentucky she had.
I'll have my daughter with me Saturday. We have second season tags for the Coast Range, so we'll head on up into the Trask after the shoot. Sarah didn't do any shooting last month, but maybe we can get her to try something, maybe hook another one.
I'll toss some Altoid tins in the wood stove tonight, give that a try. Great idea....
Scott

I took the paint off one last night. I use my propane torch and burn it off them 0000 steel wool. Only takes a few minutes that way.

41Aeronca said:
brett sr said:
Scott,

think "Altoids"!

Brett

I got a couple old Altoid tins around, but they are a chore to strip (I can't leave them like they are). I'll show you the one I've stripped the paint off and finished. I would like to find some plain metal tins to work with and save a step. I stopped by Michael's the other day and they told me that they didn't have any metal tins. And this is a craft store?! See you Saturday, 9:30 or so?
Scott

Think fire for removing paint, my char cans are proof it works. :grin:

Well ain't that the purtyiest thing!

I have a batch in the cellar in a plastic two liter bottle. :redface:

For the Moose Snot, Kiwi Shoe Polish tins are my favorite - they are easy to open with cold hands or if they get "slick". The Altiods are good, too. The gum kind is long and narrow and makes a small tin that gives you a long wipe. :haha:

My wife found some hinged metal mint tins that are about 2" square ane 1/2" thick and they are perfect. Burn the paint off in a wood stove or with a propane torch and rub them with motor oil. They look antique.

Moosestuff.jpg

When I hand out my lubes here is the label I use:

Moose_Snot_label1.jpg

You need a moose though. Maybe a commando moose, or a pirate moose. I got it! Bullwinkle wearing an eye patch and holding crossed dragoons. :winking:

Scott

Scott, next time yer at the office supply place or the hobby shop, take a look for their fake "parchment" paper. I used to use caligraphy style fonts on it and ruffle the edges a bit and it made a very nice antique looking label. I have a box of old bottles and now you got me thinkin'!

Yah, I wanted something like that, but all we have in our printer is regular bond. I wasn't about to go on a shopping trip the other night just for that. Especially with the stormy WX we've been having...
Scott

Stormy weather. Heck, just a Little rain. Winter isn't even here yet. :grin: What's a measely 4"-5" of rain over night. :grin:

Back