• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Yet another question that has me baffled . . .

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Imacfrog

50 caliber
Reaction score
If long guns are suppose to be stored muzzle down so that lubricant (wonder lube, oils, etc.) do not collect in to the the firing mechanism and/or collect on the wood and cause other problems, why are gun safes and cases design for the stock down and muzzle up? I cannot figure this one out. Any ideas?

I don't know that they are supposed to be stored that way. My final procedure in cleaning is to spray an ample amount of WD 40 into the bore followed by a jag blasting it out the touch hole. I store it muzzle down over night then rack it the next day muzzle up. No problems.
Robby

If long guns are suppose to be stored muzzle down so that lubricant (wonder lube, oils, etc.) do not collect in to the the firing mechanism and/or collect on the wood and cause other problems, why are gun safes and cases design for the stock down and muzzle up? I cannot figure this one out. Any ideas?
My guess is because gun safe manufacturers are thinking unmentionables, not muzzleloaders. A cartridge gun will still go boom if there is oil on the breech face. I don't worry about storage anyway, cuz I want my rifles hung horizontal on display. (Level) Been doing that since the 70s. Keep them well oiled, but not over oiled. Don't leave them for months without checking them out. Do make sure all oil is removed before loading. Alcohol works very well.
Larry

"Store guns horizontally, or with the muzzle pointing down. When guns are stored upright, gravity pulls gun oil downward into the action, which forms a sticky film. Oil also can drain onto the stock, softening the wood."Hunter-ed

"Long guns go in the safe so they are not touching or rubbing against each other. Some folks advocate storing long guns muzzles down to prevent any excess oils or lubricants from slowly seeping into the stocks or actions. For extremely long storage intervals this is probably a good idea. Just be sure your guns are very secure and will not fall over against other guns when stored this way." Pew Pew Tactical

Should I store my gun butt-down or muzzle-down? Short article

Just a few of many sources! Also, recommended to never store in a fabric case (particularly long term) as the fabric (foam) will absorb oil and other chemicals.
Those little moisture packets are recommended to help with moisture.

Still, why are the safes and cases designed for muzzle up? I need to get a real life! LOL

My guess is because gun safe manufacturers are thinking unmentionables, not muzzleloaders. A cartridge gun will still go boom if there is oil on the breech face. I don't worry about storage anyway, cuz I want my rifles hung horizontal on display. (Level) Been doing that since the 70s. Keep them well oiled, but not over oiled. Don't leave them for months without checking them out. Do make sure all oil is removed before loading. Alcohol works very well.
Larry

This storage method is recommended for ALL long guns.

Frog:

Try this reasoning. Gun safes are made to hold multiple guns. Guns are heavier on the butt end than the muzzle end. That makes them unstable if stood on the muzzle end. Put six or eight guns in a gun safe with the muzzles down, and they will tip on to one another. Each time you reach for one, the others will tip/wobble. Stock damage, scratches, and dings.

I don't know if that is the real answer, but from an engineering standpoint the weight down method is more stable.

???? ADK Bigfoot

Larry (Omaha) said:
Larry

This storage method is recommended for ALL long guns.
You are quoting me! In that context you are telling the forum to go horizontal. I have a feeling you are not.
Respectfully, I do not care what anyone says about me storing my long guns. They will be stored the way I prefer.
Thanks for the post.
Larry

How much oil do you have to leave on or in a weapon for it to become a danger to the wood?

Hemingway writes of storing a Thompson in an oiled sheepskin case on the flying bridge of a sport fishing boat. But what did he do after docking for the night?

Let's say you like in the water duck shooting in nasty weather in a saltwater environment. What has progress given you that might replace oil? (No not stainless steel, plastic, etc)

Horizontal would be the ideal storage position as Larry stated. The point I ineffectively was trying to make was that all long guns (muzzle loaders or others) are recommended to be stored muzzle down. I am not an engineer but wonder if a safe/case could be engineer to accommodate the "proper" method of storage. I have "no dog in this fight" just an observation on my part to kill a Tuesday evening! LOL

I store all my rifles and shotguns muzzle down, even in my safe. Never had an issue with the safe's design inhibiting this practice. I also find it easier to grab the gun I want in that I'm grabbing it at the wrist or grip portion of the stock, not grabbing it by the barrel.
My flintlocks are "horizontal" on the wall, but even there they have a slight muzzle down orientation. I try not to over oil my guns, but, I'm not perfect.
Honestly I'm more concerned about the oil issue with my modern arms. I clean/degrease the bore and breach face of my muzzleloaders before loading or heading to the range.
My modern guns don't usually get this treatment and may need to be "made ready" quicker than my flintlocks.

IMG_0359.jpeg

IMG_0361.jpeg

Robby

I suppose if you put your guns away dripping with 30 weight, muzzle down is a good idea. Never put them away that way or stored them any way but muzzle up and NEVER had a problem with oil in the breech. On a recent range trip is saw a guy start his patched ball and then drop 5 drops of some kind of lube on top before he used the ram rod to push it down. Was told to do that by his uncle's cousin's hair dresser's plumber so "he wouldn't have to wipe the bore between shots." Muzzle down sounds like another whim theorized out of thin air.

One good thing about storing rifles with heavy barrels upside down is it takes the stress off the wrist of the stock over the years. Same thing about storing such rifles horizontally.

This thread takes me back to my earliest years as a Marine Armorer, when most Armories had originally been set up to store 03 and M1 Rifles upside down. Then we used the same hooks to store M14's and finally M 16's upside down until they made up special racks to store and lock the rifles in place.

Gus

Last edited:
I have to admit I store all my guns muzzle up. However I take precautions to avoid the oil issue. I leave a very light coat of oil on the outside of the barrel by wiping it with an oiled rag, then wiping the oil almost entirely off. In the bore if I know I'll not shoot the gun for a long time I actually use thick grease as rust protection. It has to be cleaned before shooting.

For short term storage I sometimes just use a neatsfoot oil soaked mop to oil the bore. I always send a dry, but not very tight fitting patch after to remove excess oil. Also on percussion guns I use 3d printed plastic snap caps on nipples. Then I drop the hammer. This effectively seals it.

I found in my environment such light coat of oil is enough to protect blued steel. For non-blued parts I use grease as mentioned before or my bpcr lubricant that is quite hard. It contains beeswax, neatsfoot oil and potassium soap.

Perhaps one day I'll make some sort of rack to go into the safe so I can store my guns muzzle down.

I suppose if you put your guns away dripping with 30 weight, muzzle down is a good idea. Never put them away that way or stored them any way but muzzle up and NEVER had a problem with oil in the breech. On a recent range trip is saw a guy start his patched ball and then drop 5 drops of some kind of lube on top before he used the ram rod to push it down. Was told to do that by his uncle's cousin's hair dresser's plumber so "he wouldn't have to wipe the bore between shots." Muzzle down sounds like another whim theorized out of thin air.
I have to agree with you. If you pour oil down the barrel I understand but running a patch down a barrel with oil on it will not be enough to seep out the nipple or flash hole. I did have a friend that pour melted lard down his barrel clean up to the muzzle. After hunting season was over to eliminate the possibility of rusting?

Back