• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Yes or No on tacks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is my GPR in .54cal love it but, the stock to me needs something little to give it some bling. I found some brass daisy tacks and it just so happens I named her Daisy :) So I took three and cut off the nail at the head and just put some bouble side tape on to see how she would look..hmmm I kind of dig it what do the rest of you guys or gals think?
View attachment 66369
a no vote here

OP, I say yes. Tastefully done they can make the rifle uniquely yours.

Everyone is afraid to be different. But back then people decorated most everything. Even themselves.

My first rifle, and only for years, was a GPR. Great gun, still regret selling it sometimes. But I always knew I would to pay for a handbuilt gun. But I think a few racks in the right places would add to the gun and your story.

Don’t be afraid of being different!

OP, I say yes. Tastefully done they can make the rifle uniquely yours.

Everyone is afraid to be different. But back then people decorated most everything. Even themselves.

My first rifle, and only for years, was a GPR. Great gun, still regret selling it sometimes. But I always knew I would to pay for a handbuilt gun. But I think a few racks in the right places would add to the gun and your story.

Don’t be afraid of being different!
I hear you I don't think I will ever get rid of the GPR it just fits me well. I do know this won't be my last flintlock. I'll have to think it over some more. If I do tack it will only be on the forend. I do kind of like the look of it. I do get what most guys are saying to use real brass or maybe even copper.
Thanks to all, you guy's are awesome!

I think personal preference is a big factor with tack designs. If you like them you should add them. While I’m not that crazy about them, were I to add them to a GPR I would probably find some representative pictures/photos of original plains style rifles with tack designs to use as a guide with the intent of adding some historical context. I have seen pictures of the original Leman Trade Rifles that were decorated with tacks..some were quite interesting.
Other options you could consider to spruce up an otherwise dull/plain stock could be to add a patch box, and/or oil-varnish the stock.
Shortly after I bought my GPR (1986) I took a little trip up to Chadron NE. to visit the Museum of the Fur Trade . I found a rifle with a tack pattern that I liked, took a picture of it and put the same pattern on my rifle. It is still on there to this day...I just wish I could remember what rifle I copied. It sucks getting old!

So this is my GPR in .54cal love it but, the stock to me needs something little to give it some bling. I found some brass daisy tacks and it just so happens I named her Daisy :) So I took three and cut off the nail at the head and just put some bouble side tape on to see how she would look..hmmm I kind of dig it what do the rest of you guys or gals think?
View attachment 66369
I like it. Put some on the butt end and send us a picture.

View attachment 66369
In my opinion, no tacks. Looks tacky & cheap. Again, just my opinion, it's your rifle, if you like it, go for it.

Get solid brass tacks. Crazy Crow has them. Solid brass brads can be used for smaller dots.

Cut the shanks to about 3/8" long and drill pilot holes so the tacks will go in easier.

Study Indian guns, see what they did. A few extra embellishments can really add character, IMO.

I vote no tacks.
I am an Indian, if it was shiney we liked them. Also sometimes you will see a dragon fly likeness, we believed it would carry our prayers into the presence of the Creator. I realize they didn't stay that way but that did not matter.Also if it was taken in battle that was a way to show ownership.Sometimes done tastefully and sometimes not, but if you were showing off it did not matter. Also from todays stand point it depends if you are reenacting and what your persona is .I would not do it to an expensive gun but I did tack a a trade gun made from a kit and a blunderbuss just to look like it was taken in battle.Purely up to the person .

For me, a decorative element added to any form or piece of architecture has to have a reason for being added. Rusty points out symbolic reasons. Of course the reason can be aesthetic, if the decorative element plays up the form. It's up to you, you have a symbolic reason I guess..."Daisy"....Practically, here is what I would be concerned about- you have placed them between the two holes for the wedge keys. There is probably straight grain wood there- between two holes. I would be careful driving in shanks that act like little wedges, especially if the tack shanks are substantial in diameter. Be careful you don't encourage a crack since they will be in a straight line between two holes. I am sure you thought of this. Tiny pilot holes with epoxy maybe are in order?
My vote: why ruin an already nice cake with too much icing...no

Last edited:
For a rifle or musket that is in the hands of a trapper or long hunter I say probably not. But if it is for something an Indian might have carried.. most definitely . Bottom line though.... you do what "you" want! .... doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

Hello and just a thought... No matter how much you like your current rifle, and even if you now say
"I'll never trade it", times, tastes, and situations change. Believe me, over the years I've sold or traded many guns I swore at the time would be buried with me. In my opinion, tacks would severely reduce the number of folks that would pay top dollar for the gun. Most folks, not all, would think tacking a stock would look, well, tacky.
Just my humble opinion but resale is something to consider. Best of luck with your decision!

May instead of the tacks go with a brass end cap and brass thimbles? Patchbox?
If you want to dress it up, go for it. It's yours and who cares what anyone else thinks. I've always liked them. How authentic would it make it look? Also, as previously mentioned, resale value may be affected especially if you remove them.

I replied that I would not put tacks on my guns but that’s only because I don’t have one I think they would look right on. I’m all for making something your own. It’s just stuff. Here’s some examples of my stuff.
63F66A06-A12D-4B92-9DC9-893C3507ECF6.jpeg
6DB12C92-376F-4180-AA4F-C9B9DDDD3309.jpeg
96240A58-B6D8-4CF6-9190-94510E9B7265.jpeg
10452D28-77EF-48CF-A59E-422B4E48F824.jpeg
B85A1394-E298-4314-AFDC-C7BB58D8A4C4.jpeg

I have an original H.Leman, Lancaster, PA, 38 cal "squirrel" rifle, pewter nose cap, pewter cap box that supposedly came out of a reservation in OK over sixty years ago. It has tacks but I don't know when they were put on. It really hurts the overall simplicity and looks. I vote NO.

Back