• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

yellow pre-lubed patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cotcrab

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi
does anyone use them and what are your thoughts on them. If you dont use them what are your recommendations for a 40/50 caliber (I have 2 rifles).

Thanks

Pre lubed patches can be quite convienent...BUT they can also be OLDER THAN DIRT having sat on a shelf for years. These old patches will tear and rip and ruin accuracy.

I suggest you get some pillow ticking at the fabric store several different thicknesses) and try them out lubing with one of 165 gazillion recipes. Lube them your self and cut at the muzzle (a strip with lube can fit in a pillbottle etc. Place end of strip on muzzle, use sort starter to get ball down and cut the patch off at the muzzle. Your patches will always be exactly the right size and with consistent lube on them.

Try it with different thickness of material, different lube and different powder charges till you find what your rifles like and you will be happy. happy happy happy.

Get the dutch system next $20.00 well spent to get yer tightest groups ever!!

Speaking of Dutch, anyone heard from him? Been a week or so since I have seen him posting :hmm:

If fresh from the factory they're fine. But if they're older, I've had problems with the patches shredding when fired, dramatically degrading accuracy. I'm guessing there's something in the lube that breaks down the fabric over time.

Problem is they're not dated, and there's really no to tell how old they are when you buy them, much less when they've been sitting around your house for a year or three.

That's why I started lubing my own. Which lube is a matter of personal taste and much discussion here. But lots of other folks have experienced the same "aging" problem with prelubed patches. Especially the yellow ones.

I've used them but added additional lube because they were usually dry. At some point, it became apparent that it would be easier & cheaper if I just cut square patches and lubed my own. You can make 100s of patches for the cost of one commercial package of patches....

As others have pointed out, there are many lube choices available. My current is beeswax/whale oil mix or beeswax/peanut oil mix.
My recommendation is to cut at the muzzle.
Yes, those are probably old and wuthluss. File 13.

azmntman said:
Pre lubed patches can be quite convienent...BUT they can also be OLDER THAN DIRT having sat on a shelf for years. These old patches will tear and rip and ruin accuracy.

I suggest you get some pillow ticking at the fabric store several different thicknesses) and try them out lubing with one of 165 gazillion recipes. Lube them your self and cut at the muzzle (a strip with lube can fit in a pillbottle etc. Place end of strip on muzzle, use sort starter to get ball down and cut the patch off at the muzzle. Your patches will always be exactly the right size and with consistent lube on them.

Try it with different thickness of material, different lube and different powder charges till you find what your rifles like and you will be happy. happy happy happy.

Get the dutch system next $20.00 well spent to get yer tightest groups ever!!

Speaking of Dutch, anyone heard from him? Been a week or so since I have seen him posting :hmm:

I can attest to Dutch's program. Bought it a couple of weeks ago. Excellent! There's so much information in it that you'll need to go through it several times.

I can'y say anything about pre lubed patches as I used them for a number of years.
The differencebeingthat I pre=lubed them myself with my Dry Patch system.
. I doubt the value of one lube recipe fits all situations. I determined what my rifle(s) like and then prepared a whole hell of a lot of them. They stored well and were still good a year or so after manufacture.

Dutch is relatively fine. After the Doc'sprediction I would probably not see Santa, It rather rattled my cage. But I seem to be better each day and am developing a positive attitude.

Thank you for asking.

Weather men, Insurance men and doctors are what I have long regarded as Fear merchants.. First they scare you and then come up with a solution. The difference in this case was that there was no cure suggested, just the big slide..

Dutch

Dont sweat it my friend. The lord gave us all a certain number of heart beats when we were made and when yer up yer up. Dont matter when or where, yer done. NOT BEFORE. Thats why I refuse to waste any by running or jogging or other such foolish behavior that good increase the rate of usage. EXCEPT in muzzleloader season, I may pick up the pace as needed then

Using someone else's idea of how muh lubrication I require os, to me, as silly as having strangers loading my rifle for each shot I would take.

i have learned that each rifle requires a different amount of slickness or lack thereof. So if a manufacturer happens to pre lube a patching of of their idea of the ideal thickness and slickness to match my requirements would be of he a great coincidence.
Pre lubed patches are of great convenience and consistency, but they have to be the thickness, and lubed according to your specifications, No one else.

Here, again, the seductive word "EASY" sneaks into your mind. It is of course "EASY" to have someone else do tour work for you, but they also might be giving you a good collection of patching that is wrong for your rifle.

An afternoon's effort should show what thickness and/or slickness your rifle likes and another bit of time preparing a year;s supply of patching and you'll learn what Easy really means coupled with consistentcy and ease of application

Dutch

Another plus with ticking is it does not deteriorate for a long time. I have some that is 40 years old and still holds together as long as it hasn’t sat lubed for a long while.

I must need to shoot more and use it up😀

The old timers used plenty of pre-cut patches. In fact, from my research it seems there really isn't a terrible amount of evidence to suggest they used the cut-at-the-muzzle method many shooters use today. Was it done? I'm sure it was, but pre-cuts were pervasive indeed.

I've not had a good time making the pre-cuts. The hollow punch I bought just doesn't want to go through the ticking. :(

Smokey Plainsman said:
I've not had a good time making the pre-cuts. The hollow punch I bought just doesn't want to go through the ticking. :(
Use square patches.

Rip ticking to the desired width, stack several strips and cut into squares with shears. A good soak in warm bear grease and into the tin they go. You can make 100's of patches in very little time. There is no difference between round & square patches when loading or shooting...

I too just rip the ticking into strips and then cut squares from that. At the range I’ll just fold the strip over four or five times and cut the fold apart with my patch knife. Then I have a stack of patches.

Smokey Plainsman said:

A hollow punch is for making wads, not patches.

A cutter for patches has to be sharp and thin or rotate. hollow punches are thicker and duller so they don't bend or break when struck.

I made my own rotating cutter (below)

a5AVWdd.jpg

Easier to just by a hole saw of the right diameter and remove the drill bit and teeth and sharpen.

Chuck it in a drill press, stretch cloth over a board and cut away

Latest posts

Back