• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

YEEEEEEEEE-HAR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe you'll let me come see these next time I'm in the UK.

It'd be my pleasure :thumbsup:

Had a quick wire brush of the trunnion ends, couldn't see any text.

How about this for a plan from Cap't L on another forum, turn it muzzle up, fill the bore with washing soda solution,electrolyse the rust out and then turn it over and drop the ball.

best regards

Squire Robin

Then, I would hope the ball was placed there out of mischief. Because if there is any ship's documents or period letters there they would be destroyed.

As to the other members concerns, lapping the barrel with a cylinder hone would make the bore a hair larger allowing the ball to move somewhat freely down the bore. The copious amount of grease would help to supress any sparks created, which would travel in front of the ball. One would be surprise how easily a ball can travel down a bore with .005 clearance on each side. My four bore is 1.00", my ball is .990, the ball drops to the powder chamber without a hitch. Same for my new gonne, it has a .703 bore and a .690 ball slides down to the mouth of the powder chamber. And that's an all around clearence of .0065.

Besides, honing would prepare the bore for future use.

grin.gif

Hey Squire Robin..

Could you start a new thread about the restoration process?
(it seems that we have gone from acquisition to restoration!)

Thanks

And I await every post with baited breath!

GoF

I'm an archaeologist, not a chemist but I know that several forms of electrolosis is used to remove rust scale on artifacts. If it is purly a chemical process needed to disolve rust common venigar works wonders. It has quite a bit of acedic acid and will eat rust quickly, but is slow working on iron. Even with the use of a chemical agent, you will need to flush or brush the gunk out of it after treatment. The residule debris will hamper removal. Maybe a wire wheel attached to a metal rod, either hand or powder drill powered would clear the bore enough to slide the ball out after treatment.

Can you tell by postion of the ball how much void is left behind it? I have also seen projectiles expelled by compressed air through the vent. That might not work if the ball is rusted in place however.

Mark

I have also seen projectiles expelled by compressed air through the vent. That might not work if the ball is rusted in place however.

Hi Mark

I thought of that, but the maths was alarming :shocking:

My 150psi airline would give over half a ton of accelerating force, falling to a quarter ton at the muzzle, worst case over 2000 ft.lbs of kinetic energy in the ball when it exits. I'm game, but don't tell the wife :crackup:

I have phosphoric acid to loosen it. I have also ordered cup shaped wire brushes 1/2" under bore size which will clean out around the ball and with a simple plywood disc to spread the bristles should clean out the bore in front of it.

That's the plan so far. I'm thinking that the windage on the ball might persuade it to drop out under it's own weight if I dissolve the rust :hmm:

best regards

Squire Robin

I have also seen projectiles expelled by compressed air through the vent. That might not work if the ball is rusted in place however.

Robin, just make sure its not pointed at the Range Rover or the family dog when you squirt the air down the vent! :results:

Mark

I have phosphoric acid to loosen it.

I use Coca~Cola to derust many things, it contains phosphoric acid and as an added bonus, it'll make your barrel fizz... :D

[just make sure its not pointed at the Range Rover or the family dog when you squirt the air down the vent! :results:

I think the air is a last resort :crackup:

I pushed a 4" rotary brush down the 3.5" bore, followed by a cupped brush and I think it may be about ready to come out.

Tomorrow I will try CP's original suggestion of giving it a bump, and if that doesn't work I'll turn it over and pour in 10cc's of 25% phosphoric.

c3.jpg

c4.jpg

That's the plan so far. I'm thinking that the windage on the ball might persuade it to drop out under it's own weight if I dissolve the rust

* sigh *. The world needs more optimists like you. :crackup:

I like that picture with the rotorized brush. Looks like you're exorcizing evil spirits from the bore. :front:

CP's idea of dropping it moved it a bit, well done CP :thumbsup:

Think I will scrape out some more rust and then try dropping it some more, it's quite exciting.

c5.jpg

Is this cool or what!!!!

Keep up the good work!

GoF

CP's idea of dropping it moved it a bit, well done CP

Amazing. It looked well and truly fused in place from the images.

We should run a contest to see who can guess what's behind the ball. I vote for deteriorated powder. After all, what good is an unloaded cannon on a ship?

Great idea Stump... I was thinking about the member that guesses the correct weight of the ball gets to keep it!

and

my vote is for deteriorated powder too.

Man...looks like if it went a little it should have come all the way :( Keep trying!

Threepdr

I can't wait to see what's in there. If it's powder I wonder it the charge bag is intact that would be interisting. Please keep us posted

I can't wait to see what's in there.

Neither can I, but I was dropping it again today and it ain't moving any more. Tomorrow I shall start pulling :thumbsup:

. . . but I was dropping it again today

BOOM! BAM! BOOM!

I can just picture all the neighbors standing in the street and looking in the air and around corners to see what's happening.

"Like the Bloody Blitz all over again, Margaret!"

But then, they are your neighbors. :hmm:

"That man at Number 10 had something else delivered last week, didn't he. Better lock the cat in this weekend."

Squire, it could be a chain shot and when it moved forward it just linked together with the second ball?? :curse:

Oh what fun you are having. Do keep us posted the suspense is stressing me out. :cry:

Time for another brew. ::

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back