• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

YEEEEEEEEE-HAR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations Robin!

I too was watching that auction and had a sniper bid ready! I was hoping that it would be a "sleeper" that would go by unseen and I might be able to pick it up for nothing (which was all I had to spend).

It quickly went out of my range though... but I am glad it has found a new home.

I expect/hope that their will be more pictures when you get it home in your Landy (I would like to see a picture of that too!).

GoF

Fascinating stuff and apologies to anyone I outbid :blah:

The cannon lifting gear has arrived. The problem with this cheap Chinese ironwork is that the low price persuades you that it's not all that big. You're expecting a van delivery and then a lorry stops outside your house :shocking:

crane.jpg

(which is like a gozillion dollars)

I'm not sure about the exchange rate but I think it is 7,000 grains to the pound which would come to 25,200,000.

Squire,

I heard all Brits have an ancestral ghost or two, but you gotta realize you likely bought haunts of sea captains, sailors, and pirates. When the spikes come out, undead things might come crawling out of the ground.

You also bought a project of Biblical proportions. It

Got them home and put one on a carriage to see how it looks, and it looks good.

They are as identical as two peas in a pod, one of them has something in it, I'll get more pics tomorrow :thumbsup:

Loading them on the Rover

home.jpg

Need to air brush the crane out of this picture ::

home3.jpg

Can't hardly see I was sweating so much

home1.jpg

It's up on oak blocks because they only have wheels on one side and I didn't want to damage them.
home2.jpg

Robin,
Could you give us an idea of what you plan on doing with... are you going to restore/clean them? Pull the obstruction? Make new carriages?

SP

Nice cannons, but am I the only one that notices the makings of a field cannon carriage leaned up against the wall in the background??

WOW

Definitely the winner of the coolest toys contest.

Can't wait to see the follow-up - carriages rebuilt, smoke made. Wish I could hear the sound.

:applause: :hatsoff:

PC,
I saw those too. I first thought Squire was building some pistols, but then common sense prevailed.

SP

Well whaddya know? There's a ball stuck two thirds of the way down. Wonder what's behind it :shocking:

If I get really lucky, more balls :thumbsup:

ball.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS! You and I have both done well by eBay.

Now, I see a book in the making. Move over

Not to get your hopes up Squire. But merchant ships, when in peril of sinking or being captured would place valuables in cannons, spike them and dump them over the side in hopes of recovery at a later date. A common practice from what I understand.

At the very least, one can hope its a time capsule.

First, I would suggest you remove corrosion from in front of the ball using copious amounts of automotive grease and a cylinder hone to cut down of the chances of a spark and the barrel containing a live charge. I would not attempt to drill the vent till you know what you are dealing with. I would avoid the use of liquids, in case there is papers secreted within.

Two ways to clear the bore:

One, you can make a pad of pine, backed by oak and drop the barrel muzzle first, no more than a 31cm to dislodge the ball. Once the ball is at the muzzle, add two pieces of wood on either side of the muzzle, but clear of the bore to allow the ball to drop out.

Two, determine the diameter of the ball, drill it half way, tap and thread it with a deep coarse thread. Run a heavy piece of "thread all" into the ball. Drill a thick piece of steel, 1/2" is what I would use, with a hole that would allow the "thread all" to pass through freely, Similarly drill and place a piece of pine lumber under the steel. Now, thread a nut down the free end until its against the steel cross member. Now you can crank the ball up. Once it reaches the muzzle, back off the nut enough to place pieces of lumber on either side of the bore, so the ball can clear bore.

Extreme care should be taken to avoid sparks. An caution to avoid injury to self or piece when handling tube.

grin.gif

Two, determine the diameter of the ball, drill it half way, tap and thread it with a deep coarse thread.

What if the ball has powder in it too? :eek:

That looks like a fun project you have there Squire. It sounds like you plan on restoring them. Make sure you post plenty of pictures. Later,

Squire Robin,

Congrats on the matched pair! Were you able to find an casting marks or numbers on the tube or trunnions?

Also I notice in the pics that they are unusual in that the trunnions only have base rims on the bottom half of the trunnions. On most guns they go all the way around the trunnion. I wonder if that is a gunnade trait?

I hope you can extract the ball without damage to either the tube or ball. The ball it self would be a treasure. I suspect is there because of someone's mischeif more than a caculated "time capsule" or treasure trove.

Maybe you'll let me come see these next time I'm in the UK.

Post more pics when you get the projo out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back