• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ye-Old Battle Axe is Throwing Hawks!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbutch

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Temps hit 45 degrees today..the geese and Sandhill cranes are out scouting for open water and snow free fields..Beautiful sun filled day..Life is good!

Youngest son home to take a break from dorm life..So we headed to the shack to throw some Hawks..The wife came out latter and we talked her into taking a few swings..For a woman that doesn't like to throw a baseball she did great..I think I'm starting to break the ice with the family. I'm thinking if I take it slow they might just take the bait..

Wife's first stuck hawk--

IMG_0677.jpg

Youngest of 2 sons first 3 in a row..Man in ten minutes he had this down pat..Ah-Youth!

IMG_0676.jpg

Had a good time mud and all!

Great job, memories, and pics. I know what you're in for! When I say I'm gonna build a campfire and throw the hawk/knife, I'm the last one out the door. :thumbsup:

Grey Whiskers said:
Next thing ya know you'll be fittin them for buckskins. :surrender:

Nice pics :thumbsup: GW
GW..I'm going to have to take baby steps here..they tease me ..and laugh when they see my Purse(shooting bag)..and wonder if I'm going to take vacation time to camp at the local park for 4 days during a summer carnival where renactors set up a primitive camp! but on the other hand there are 2 cases of bp sitting near the back door ready for distribution to my shooting buddy's..and an occasional pistol or gun stock drying in the sun in the living room..so I'm making some head way.

Flint311 said:
Great job, memories, and pics. I know what you're in for! When I say I'm gonna build a campfire and throw the hawk/knife, I'm the last one out the door. :thumbsup:
Flint that sounds like a fun bunch!..with my boys..collage age they keep their own schedule... Stay up late-sleep late..Half the day's over..Try to work around that fact...Just happy when we can get some time together! Thanks for sharing...Dan

Dan, With the wife sticking hawks like that, you might want to ease up on the "ye ole battle axe" comments!
If she gets you a shirt with a hawk target printed on it you need to start sleeping with your eyes open. :rotf: :rotf:
Great picts! Glad the family is taking intrest. :v

lonehunter said:
Dan, With the wife sticking hawks like that, you might want to ease up on the "ye ole battle axe" comments!
If she gets you a shirt with a hawk target printed on it you need to start sleeping with your eyes open. :rotf: :rotf:
Great picts! Glad the family is taking intrest. :v
Thanks James..my son brought up the fact that she might start using A "Hawk" on me in stead of the usual frying pan! :rotf: 28 years of marriage and were "Madly in love"..with an emphasis on MAD! All my friends say she a Saint!;..She Is!

Great pics of the family. My wife said she would try getting into reenacting with me. I think it's a good way to spend quailty time with the family and friends. Keep it up. :thumbsup:

LBH..That sounds like fun..The wife wants to tag along to Frienship in June--Said something about the good shopping in the area..Need to get through the High school graduations during that time. will fit it in...Were taking baby steps here....Dan

Can I send my wife out to you for training? Right now she's gambling in Atlantic City :haha: .

Just kidding! Nice story and photos, and keep up the good work!

Dave

When I bought the 3 hawks I picked up 3 spare handles right away- well with the 2 son's and their buddies throwing hawks in the back yard (home on spring break)I have learned to tape them up right away..I have since bought more handles and since the boys have gotten better they are not shredding as fast. we are all back at the 18 to 20 foot mark now. The cotton wood block is really taken a pounding. Never thought throwing hawks would be this fun! They could take or leave the shooting (muzzleloaders) but the hawk throwing they enjoy! Must have been all those years of those $@! video games!

Those handles look like mine. I was forced to use a very rare type of period correct/ historically correct ye olde plastique electricians' tape and some olde tyme Glue de Elmer for wood. After a few sessions with my daughter who played first base on the varsity team... she butchered my handles with her own hawks. She would laugh and laugh at my misfortune. I once had a brand new handle on one of my hawks for all of about fifteen minutes before my darling daughter thought she would show old dad how to hit a mark. Recently I have been throwing other peoples' hawks and staying away from my girl. The handles seem to last longer that way. :surrender:

Glad to hear that the whole family is using the Hawk Block! A club that my son and I belong to uses a deck of cards on the surface of the Hawk Block. You aim for the card you need to hit to make "21", and if you hit the wrong one, you get points deducted. It's really fun to watch! I wish I was better at throwing hawks.

Dave

Back