• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yard sale priming horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Yard sale priming horn
A couple of weeks ago I browsed through items on a yard sale and this flat small horn caught my eye.
It’s not particularly “nice” but being to quite a number of such sales it was the first one I found and I wanted one for quite a while. After a little back and forth I got it for 6 bucks. It holds 550 grains of FFFg.

What do you say?

Silex

A bargain at $6. Hard to tell, but that thing could be really old. The base plug is interesting. Could that stuff be some kind of board made of pressed wood chips?

Nice find and super buy!....Judging from the scale of it in the top picture. I think that the horn may be too large to be a priming horn, but you have yourself a bag or pistol powder horn.

JMHO

Thanks everybody, for the tips.
Yes, it might be a tad too big for a priming horn.
The base plug is tight. I was wondering about the material myself but I don't want to destroy the patina exploring what it is really made of.

Thank you,
Silex

Back