• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yard sale find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sebago is not northern maine. Im from 4 hours north in Aroostook county, the other maine. Moxie is from new hampshire and when I tried it I had to lick the dogs butt to get the taste out of my mouth. Now italian sandwiches, those are as maine as fiddleheads and brook trout. :grin:

Moxie is from new hampshire and when I tried it I had to lick the dogs butt to get the taste out of my mouth.

Boy,..rough crowd. I don't know what "Moxie" is but from the sound of it...I think I'll pass. :eek:ff

The front bow of the trigger guard looks like a Tc hawken, but the back is different. And just bacause it has bettle or worm holes doesn't mean it is the original stock. It may be, or it could be an old restock. I have seen a few guns that had old patina stocks that didn't have the same lines as the "known " orginals by the same builder. For instance a straight butt stock with a barrel signed by a smith that only made guns with roman nose butts. in one case, the curator had a test done. Carbon 14 dating showed the gun stock wood dated from forty years after the smith died. So while the barrel may have been made for a gun in the 1770's, the stock came from a maple that was cut in the 1830's. It was indeed an old restock.

That stock is pretty old look at the flash erosion behind the nipple. I hope you can get her up and running. The condition of the nipple and drum bother me though you can replace them I imagine the both of them are seized on pretty good, the drum can probably be salvaged but I've never been ableto use an original nipple, if they are in good enough condition to hold a cap they will usually shatter after a few hammer strikes due to becoming brittle. I usually soak old barrels in a bath of CLP before I attempt any parts removal, clp will soften up looser rust but doesn't seem to affect bluing or patina much, but it creeps into joints.

Hit it with the clp and the nipple unscrewed. I had one in my spare parts that fit. The drum unscrewed also threads are in good shape cleaned it out good. When I get some sights on it i'll shoot it.

Nice Find...bring it to Stetson!....I'd like to have a look at her. It looks to be an original to me.

In a convoluted trade deal I had to take NitWit in trade for some other stuff. Don't suppose you'd be interested in taking him off my hands in trade? I'll throw in cash!... :rotf:

As my previous post indicates, I at no time said that this was a C.V,A. manufactured rifle!

As I am unfamiliar with the name on the lock I believe I would look for a maker from the Fort Pitt, Ohio Valley area (or someone who served his apprentistship in this region).

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Glad to help and I wish the pictures could narrow down where the gun was made but, patchboxes, or in this case capboxes like these were sold by some major gun parts suppliers to gunsmiths all across the U.S.

Tryon (in Pa.) for instance showed dozens of various styles in their catalog for the gunsmith to choose from.

Latest posts

Back