• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yard sale find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Found this at a yard sale. The bore is dirty but not pitted, it needs a lock bolt but everything works. It says Golcher on the lock but there are no other markings on the gun. Its 36 caliber the rear sight is from an old savage. Anyone know anything about this gun?
008-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

005.jpg

You're a lucky guy. The only things I've seen at yard sales around here are old lady's bloomers and kids clothes. Oh ya, I almost forgot, lots of broken bicycles.
Vern

Just judgeing from your pictures it looks like:
The butt crescent, nose cap, trigger guard and rear sight (if not the whole barrel) are from a C.V.A. Mountain Rifle.
The lock, stock, triggers and patch box appear to be aftermarket items.

The builder did a very good job, a fine looking rifle and if I am correct should perform very well.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Shine,
There is very little doubt that your find is an original, not a CVA by any means. The only thing that is not original is the "Savage" rear sight and that could have been put on a long time ago. I can't tell if it is a shadow under the drum or if there is a gap between the drum and the lock plate. The fit up of the hardware looks to be pretty clean for its apparent age. Have you removed the barrel to see if there are any barrel makers name or other makers marks? Looks to be in pretty fair condition, nice find.
Mark :thumbsup:

I took it all apart there are no markings anywhere but the lock. I knew it was an original gun. Im a flintlock guy its kind of new for me. I would like to know about it. Including what the thing is worth. Thats a shadow I took the pictures on my deck. Its one of our rare sunny days.

Very original, with the exception of the sight. Golcher locks were commercial hardware locks, that smiths would catalog order. I would guess it was built between 1845 to 1875, just before or after the war of Northern Aggression. Western Pa. or Ohio built. It may have been a commercial made hardware store gun. It's in fairly nice shape, not high value but still should not be cleaned beyond a wipe down with a damp rag with a little murphy's. Over clean it and it becomes a $100 gun. Underside of the barrel, may have a makers name, and I wouldn't be surprised if it said Remington, as he made barrels for the gunsmiths trade, long before he made guns himself.

Bill

That one *is* very close to a CVA Mountain Rifle :hmm: Haven't we been discussing this topic lately?

S6000338.jpg

Nice original rifle! :thumbsup:

Ancient One said:
You're a lucky guy. The only things I've seen at yard sales around here are old lady's bloomers and kids clothes. Oh ya, I almost forgot, lots of broken bicycles.

That's about my luck, too. Congratulations on a very nice find!

yeah kinda makes you wonder where they got the idea for the mountain rifle. I looked under the barrel no marks. I wish i new how this made its way to northern maine.

I plan on fixing it up a little and shooting it. The bore is that good. I have restored some of this stuff before. I have no plans to make it look new. But I do plan on giving it back its dignity.

If you haven't read it you may be interested in this post about the guns that were made between 1850 and 1870.

The post is based on the guns made in Illinois but IMO this style was fairly common during that period.
THE GUNS OF 1850-1870

Hey Shine, do a google search for Golcher locks and you'll find alot of interesting info. It seems everybody who built a gun in the mid 1800's would throw a golcher lock on it. Quite a chunk of Americana just in that lock. Bill

Shine,
If you haven't pulled the rear sight, try it, I have found names hidden under them also. The stock doesn't look like it needs a lot of cleaning. To preserve the patina and take off just the surface dirt, I use a light rubbing of comercial hand cleaner like Orange Stuff. Use your hands or a soft cloth and very little pressure. It takes off the dirt and also moisturizes the wood.I would put this rifle into the 1860-1870's. Valaue is based on how bad you want it, how much the owner likes it and what you can get it bought for.
Mark

My guess is a restock of mostly original parts although the trigger guard sure looks like a TC hawken trigger guard. The lock and what I can see of the barrel, cap box and butt plate look original. However the stock curves quite a bit in the lock area and doesn't match the lines of the lock. Most originals had rather even margins around the lock plate. The rear margin around the lock is very wide and out of character for the lock lines. Now if it was a restock in the old days or more recently is a good question. The trigger guard bother's me. From the picture It looks fairly recent and doesn't have that old patina.

A great many guns were cut down, refurbished, restocked, etc. even in the old days.

It is still a great find regardless. Congrats.

triggerguard3.jpg

I can't say that I've seen a trigger guard shaped like this on a modern factory gun.

The stock does seem remarkably clean with little of the oxidation I might expect from a 150 year old rifle though.

By the way, I'm moving this Topic to the firearms research section as the gun does seem to be old.

Shine,
I'm with you, I still say it is original in every way. I can show you half a dozen rifles of the same era that have not been dinked with and look like they were made within the last 20 years. Maybe someone took reasonable care of it!
Mark

Norther Maine! you're near my sister and brother in law. We grew up in East Sebago (near sebago lake). I miss it there! Drink some Moxi for me with an italian sandwich!

Back