• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Yard Sale Find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny Tremain

Silversmith in training
Reaction score
Check out this poor 70s CVA 45cal PA rifle.

Anyone have any old parts for these?

As you can see (barely) I have the barrel, two piece stock and trigger and guard.

So Im looking for a Perc lock, maybe a butt plate.

Everything Else I can make.

PM me if you have anything kicking around.

Thanks

stk.jpg

fore.jpg

Nice find indeed. Should be a nice little project, a diamond in the rough. How's the bore?

Great find. And obviously, the price was right or you wouldn't be bragging about it!

I've always had a fondness for that early CVA. And there were two minor variations of it. One has that wide brass band to wrap around the joint in the two-piece stock, the other has a pinned brass plate between the two. Now, when you look at that version with the pinned brass plate between the two pieces, and you look at pictures of Joe Meeks rifle Old Sally, just look at all the ... similarities. I was surprised the first time I compared the two.

Have fun with your new ... project.

Mikey - out tinkering in the Hinterlands

More like a piece of coal :)
Bore looks real good, some surface rust. Funny it looks like it has straight lands and grooves. They dont seem to go in a twist.

Do you have a link for Deer Creek? I come up with nothing.

$35 bucks

Id call it a rust pipe and some discolored wood right now. Heck there is some brass under that tarnish :)

Il let you all peek at it, when I get it done, still looking for parts.

think that bein a two piece stock it's a kentucky rifle...my pennn is one piece stock, 39 in barrel..there's locks for sale online like $75 or so,deer creek doesn't/didn't? have a website last i knew..i have a buttplate that's off a cva mt rifle???????? don't know how close it'd be???

Deer Creek does not have a web site. They are mentioned several times in the forum. They have just about anything you may need of the older CVAs. If you can find their phone number in here, give them a call. They are really nice people to work with. Good luck.

Heres there No. 765-525-6181. Good people to deal with. They had all my parts for a old Ky and a Mt rifle. Dilly

Boar-dilly,
Thanks for the heads up.I delt with them
awhile back,and they are great folks to deal with.
Got what I needed and lost contact.
snake-eyes:hatsoff:

Hello,
Doesn't L&R make a lock replacement for those old CVA type Maslin locks? I've seen those CVA locks on the net for $20.00 to $50.00 bucks used.

I've got all the parts you need if you still want them (minus the mainspring for the lock which was used in another project). Several years ago I bought one at pawn shop cheap. I removed the breach without removing the nipple drum, incredibly stupid mistake. Anyhow the parts aren't any good to me now, so if you want them you can have them. Send me a PM with your address.

The plot thickens!

It seems this isnt a CVA after all. It has a "patented breech" Which CVA never made.

One of our good folk here, had some CVA parts they sent my way.

COme to find out they are a tad oversized. Ill be able to use all the CVA parts, except the lock.

Now I have to find a rusty ole patented breech lock laying about somewhere :)

I love old stuff, how aobut you :-D

But wait theres more!

I took a wire wheel to the rusted barrel (really didnt want to) So I could see if there were any markings on it.

Lo and behold, it said:

Black Powder only * Ultra * HI *

on the left side:

Japan RP 3809

When I called Deer Creek to ask is this helped she said:

"OH, one of those"

The story continues.......

CVA did produce true patent breech guns, just not very many. None of the longer ones that I can think of either. My Trapper 12/50 is a patent breech block system.

Ultra Hi in Japanese means "Soon you die, Yankee dog"! These guns were Japanese revenge for WWII. Be afraid--be very afraid.

Back