yard sailing paid off today.

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by zimmerstutzen, May 31, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. May 31, 2019 #1

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.

Amongst kiddie clothes and toys at a yard sale today, I spied a box of assorted metal junk and hardware. I saw a piece of octagon steel in it that had a familiar look. Paid $4.00 for the entire box of stuff, including the never breeched Getz 40 caliber 1:25 9 inch long 13/16 ACF pistol barrel. It has a few tiny spots of surface rust, but other wise, like new.

FiremanBrad, TScottW99, Goose and 4 others like this.
  2. May 31, 2019 #2

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

DOUBLEDEUCE 1

69 Cal.

Good find ! There must be a pistol build in your future. :cool:

Shot deer likes this.
  3. May 31, 2019 #3

Ames

Ames

Ames

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

The horned toad says we should go to Mexico.
    Scooooooooore!

4. Jun 1, 2019 #4

Jeff Kaufmann

Jeff Kaufmann

Jeff Kaufmann

36 Cl. MLF Supporter

5. Jun 1, 2019 #5

waarp8nt

waarp8nt

waarp8nt

32 Cal.

East of the Kaskaskia River in Illinois Country
  6. Jun 1, 2019 #6

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

7. Jun 2, 2019 #7

trent/OH

trent/OH

trent/OH

58 Cal.

I found 2 "sewing" boxes at a yard sale today. I've wanted to try one as a range box. I think these are size "too small" and "too large". But the smaller one might just work to keep me from bringing too much stuff to the range. These are wooden boxes which fold open laterally, then again, totaling 5 compartments.
    About 7-8 years ago I found at a yard sale a custom made left hand .40 cal flintlock longrifle: pretty much the rifle of my dreams! He didn't have any accoutrements, but I gave him the $100 he wanted anyway.

Woodnbow likes this.
  8. Jun 14, 2019 #8

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

I highly recommend going to yard sales, especially when you get a large one at a place of worship or a whole "neighborhood". I've found copper cooking items being sold for almost nothing because they were used as decorative, and somebody had sprayed shellac on them to keep the shine, and the shellac was coming off. (GOOD as I intend to take it all of and use the stuff over a campfire) :D Lots of good cast iron too. I've found pudding molds, and also a tin "lunch pail" that was being used for dried flowers...makes a good trekking kettle. Got a $100 Dutch oven for free as it was rusty and somebody was throwing it away. Swap Meets and Flea Markets are good places too. Old axe heads, old tools, brace-n-bit for example, and old butcher knives.

LD

theoldredneck likes this.
  9. Jun 14, 2019 #9

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.

Dave, I agree with you. The oddest one I've gotten was a kerosene barn type lantern that is really later than our time frame, but the glass was filled with flowers and LED electric lights. I pulled that stuff out and passed those on to my wife who does crafts and had a good usable lamp for $2.

10. Jun 14, 2019 #10

Phil Coffins

Phil Coffins

Phil Coffins

40 Cal.

My best find was a Cabela’s Hawken kit that was never assembled. $50 got a project to build then sold it for $200 to a new shooter. Another was a CVA Kentucky kit missing the nose cap that I paid $25 and built it with some extra details to give my sister. We shot it then hung it over her fire place and it hasn’t moved since.

11. Jun 15, 2019 #11

eggwelder

eggwelder

eggwelder

40 Cal.

was at a second hand store in Calgary with a gun buddy a long time ago. the kind that takes donations and donates the profits to charity. we are looking at the toy section and he picks up a "cap gun" in a plastic holster. rough shape but turned out to be an original cap and ball colt. thankfully not loaded. the staff didn't`t realize their mistake, and he never told them.
    i don't remember the model. he paid 5$ CDN for it, and he still shoots it.

12. Jun 16, 2019 #12

WRustyLane

WRustyLane

WRustyLane

32 Cal.

The best thing I ever came across was a boy scout hatchet (the I beam type) with most of the paint still on it. I think I gave $5.00 for it and turned around and sold it for $100.00 on etsy.

13. Jun 16, 2019 #13

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

50 Cal.

It's partiality my own fault that I've never found a really good deal at a yard or garage sale. I don't stop at enough of them. The few I have stopped at had the kiddie clothes and the usual "junk". They all seem so routine that I usually just dont stop.

14. Jun 16, 2019 #14

Smokey Plainsman

Smokey Plainsman

Smokey Plainsman

50 Cal.

Would make a FINE sportsman’s or shootist’s pistol. Congrats!!

15. Jun 16, 2019 #15

J.M. Rodri

J.M. Rodri

J.M. Rodri

32 Cal.

Yesterday we got lucky and picked up two TC Hawkens with all the accoutrements , including a couple of hard cases ,three pounds of 3f Goex and 2 pounds of Triple Seven for $200 for everything! The Bores are perfect one is a 50 Cal and the other is a 54 cal.and both rifles are in beautiful shape. They have been hunted with but have been well cared for.

Goose likes this.
  16. Jun 17, 2019 #16

Gene L

Gene L

Gene L

54 Cal. MLF Supporter

I'm afraid to go to yard sales. I'm already got too much stuff in my house so it begins to look like an episode of "Hoarders." I am not emotionally attached to most of it, just too lazy to throw it away.

I do remember back in 1996, I went to my only yard sale and turned down a Finn M-N in excellent condition...$75. Now it would be worth better than $500.

Eutycus likes this.
  17. Jun 17, 2019 #17

Eutycus

Eutycus

Eutycus

50 Cal.

Its called "Clutter" and I've been endowed with an abundance of it myself. I need to have a yard sale of my own and not go to someone elses.