Y'all are just a bad influence...

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by NepaShooter, Mar 25, 2013.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Mar 25, 2013 #1

NepaShooter

NepaShooter

NepaShooter

32 Cal.

Was strolling through Cabelas yesterday and succumbed to the temptation. :surrender:

[​IMG]

They had stock arrival and at the sale price for a steel frame I just couldn't pass it up after reading more and more lately in this section of the forum. I went from, 'maybe I'll get a revolver to go with my flintlock eventually...' straight to, '...at that price how can I not!!!' Being they only got one in of that model I was considering it essentially nudged me right over the edge.

Before taking the soon to be mine Pietta 1851 Navy steel frame to the register, I took some time and inspected it out of the box (very much like the fact the home furnishing area has couches with coffee tables... :grin: ) to avoid any potential pitfalls due to getting a bad example of their work.

I could not have been any more pleased. From what I've read, in the past even with recent increases in machining quality and quality control, while the arbors generally were fitted properly for their pistols, Pietta bolt to cylinder fitment was sometimes suspect. This example showed none of the issues. All six recesses in the cylinder accepted the bolt cleanly with a tiny, tiny smudge of rotational play while locked up. Timing of the hand/cylinder/hammer interaction was spot on also, with the hammer landing nice and centered on each nipple. Even the wedge was installed properly, with only moderate force, compared to stories I read that a hydraulic ram must have been used on other buyers pistols.

Disassembly for initial thorough cleaning at home revealed zero new surprises, the only comments I have are I think they test fired one cylinder and neglected to clean it as there was a tiny bit of surface rust in that cylinder; not a big deal for me, but had this pistol sat on a shelf for a while the rust might have gotten worse. (Though the pistol was packed in a plastic bag and well coated in oil all over elsewhere) The nipples also seemed to be a bit on the dirty side; I removed them all and washed them out in isopropyl alcohol to flush any debris/grease that was in them. Reinstalled them with some anti sieze to make cleaning or replacement easier down the road. Otherwise everything looked just as well made and spot on when disassembled as when I looked it over in the store. (Fwiw, I mic'd the bolt tip and all six cylinder recesses to confirm the lockup would mate up good)

So, long story short, Pietta is putting out some really impressive pistols for incredible pricing. If you are considering it, and my purchase reflects the status quo for their product nowadays, then I think it's a no brainer to just jump on in!

Oh, and an extra nod goes to Cabelas; thanks for giving me $20 just for signing up for your Visa. It brought the actual price of this lovely pistol down to $199!! :grin:

E.

[​IMG]

2. Mar 25, 2013 #2

George T.

George T.

George T.

54 Cal.

If it shoots as good as it looks your in good shape! Geo. T.

3. Mar 25, 2013 #3

M. De Land

M. De Land

M. De Land

75 Cal.

Just what I've been looking for myself. Been on a .36 caliber bug the last few years after three .44's in my safe.
    Hows the trigger? I have had to work over all three of my others including the ROA. MD

4. Mar 25, 2013 #4

NepaShooter

NepaShooter

NepaShooter

32 Cal.

I don't have a gauge to measure it officially unfortunately, but it is not bad at all. It seems to break clean with little to no perceptible creep. If I had to make a totally wild ass guess, I'd say its probably in the mid to high three or very low four pounds range?

Now, this is based on actuating the trigger while letting the hammer off under thumb control most times. I only worked the trigger once for real and let the hammer partially fall a few millimeters into my other thumb as I did not want to dry fire and damage the nipple. (Even traveling that 1/4" or so the hammer hit hurt. Lol). But for that one trigger pull, it was very clean from what I can tell.

I hope to have a range report shortly when there is a break in the weather.

E.

5. Mar 25, 2013 #5

Don

Don

Don

58 Cal.

Welcome to the cap and ball obsession! If your lucky you'll stop and take a breather after acquiring 10 or so. :wink:

Don

6. Mar 25, 2013 #6

Shoeless

Shoeless

Shoeless

40 Cal.

This is the start of a serious addiction.....

7. Mar 25, 2013 #7

M. De Land

M. De Land

M. De Land

75 Cal.

You can dry fire them after making a hammer stop out of 1/8 inch neoprene placed under the hammer web in the frame cut out. Make it just wide enough to stay in the frame cut out, under the hammer, by friction and short enough not to interfere with the lower cut or upper hammer fall. When right it will allow full cock and hammer fall without touching the nipple faces. You can dry fire until they wear out and begin to make contact with the nipples.
    I have them fitted to my 58 Rem, 60 Colt and ROA. MD

8. Mar 25, 2013 #8

dubshooter

dubshooter

dubshooter

36 Cal.

I was looking at this gun as well. I just got a Remington and love it. Looking for my next revolver already, and almost bit on this one, but think I'm going to throw my money towards supplies to cast my own round balls first. Good looking gun. I think you're going to have a LOT of fun

9. Mar 25, 2013 #9

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.

Now you need a loading stand, a range rod, a box full of balls and caps, powder measure, flask, lube for over the balls...............

Tis a slippery slope.

10. Mar 25, 2013 #10

aeatwood

aeatwood

aeatwood

40 Cal.

not to mention a RB mould, and some type of lead furnace....

11. Mar 25, 2013 #11

Rusty_Nail

Rusty_Nail

Rusty_Nail

45 Cal.

Homemade bone or antler powder measure....

12. Mar 25, 2013 #12

NepaShooter

NepaShooter

NepaShooter

32 Cal.

Thanks for the tip MD. I will try to scrounge up some neoprene to make this. I think I have an old mouse pad (the neoprene kind) floating around in the basement that I could cut up. If you could, a pic of what you did would be awesome!

Thanks everyone... yeah, I learned the slippery slope thing with the flintlock already; spent nearly $200 in accessories while picking up a used $350 Lyman Deerstalker. LOL. For this pistol, I added almost $140 in items to the basket while at Cabelas, just to get me range ready. Some round ball, a bunch of caps, measure, Cash style capper, nipple wrench, and prelubed wads.

Luckily I already started gathering all the casting items for the rifle last week, (another $140 between camp stove, propane hose, cast iron post, ladle, mold, etc. ) so all I need for this pistol is the Lee double cavity mold in this caliber. Which was unfortunately out of stock at the store, and just about everywhere else too. :( I'll just have to backorder it for now and be patient.

I've been reading about gatofeo's #1 lube, and may try to source some of the components in the next week or so, but I have 200 prelubed wads from Cabelas to start with at least. (and only 100 roundball, so... need to find that mold post haste!) I figure I'll give the wads a fair try, then the lube a fair try, and see which I prefer to use. (I know it's a hotly debated topic on here, so I won't ask which is better to use... :blah: )

Now I just have to resist the temptation to expand into .44 at some point down the road... :rotf:

E.

13. Mar 26, 2013 #13

M. De Land

M. De Land

M. De Land

75 Cal.

PM me your address and I'll put a neoprene block in the mail for you tomorrow. I use 1/8 inch setting blocks for glass. I'll get up some pictures as well. MD

14. Mar 26, 2013 #14

NepaShooter

NepaShooter

NepaShooter

32 Cal.

Thanks so much! Very generous of you. I sent over a PM.

Looking forward to the pics. I will keep trying to locate a trigger pull gauge to get a measurement.

E.

15. Mar 26, 2013 #15

M. De Land

M. De Land

M. De Land

75 Cal.

16. Mar 26, 2013 #16

M. De Land

M. De Land

M. De Land

75 Cal.

This is supposed to be a video but can't seem to get it to run on here. Runs fine on Photobucket though. MD

17. Mar 26, 2013 #17

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

I removed one of your two identical posts after finding that both of them will work.

Folks wanting to see the video only need to put their mouse cursor over the picture and right click their mouse.

Select "Open link in new tab".
    If your running Windows Explorer or Firefox a new tab will open at the top of the screen.
    By left clicking it you will be able to watch the video.

18. Mar 26, 2013 #18

M. De Land

M. De Land

M. De Land

75 Cal.

Thanks for the help Zonie!I did as you said the first time but it would not run, tried again a bit later and it did so I guess it was having a time delay getting completely down loaded from photobucket. MD

19. Mar 26, 2013 #19

NepaShooter

NepaShooter

NepaShooter

32 Cal.

That's a great video, MD!

Looking forward to your mailing so I can get it installed in my pistol. Thanks so much again, you are truly a gentleman!

E.

20. Mar 26, 2013 #20

BullRunBear

BullRunBear

BullRunBear

45 Cal.

For what it's worth, I use the Gatofeo lube with the 1/8" hard felt. I get best accuracy with less than a full chamber of 3F powder and the wad helps make up the difference. I've found that it makes clean up easier and can shoot more cylinders-full before anything binds up.

Jeff