• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Yahoo! Learned something new today!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironwood

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I learned not to get distracted when you are loading your muzzle loader! A friend and I were shooting our rifles today. I had just swabbed the barrel between shots and was getting ready to pour the powder... I looked and saw I didn't have any round balls. I leaned my rifle against the benchrest and went about 5 feet to the truck to get some more balls and patches. When I returned I promptly put a patch over the muzzle and seated the ball. Then I rammed the ball home........you guessed it no powder!

I did just like the book said. I removed the nipple, poured a small amount of powder into the bolster and tapped the side of the barrel to get the powder to go into the chamber. Replaced the nipple. Made sure the ball was seated on the little powder that was there. Capped the rifle and fired the ball out. Worked like a charm!

Lesson learned........ Don't Get Distracted! If you ever stop what you are doing when loading... When you return start back from scratch.

That happened to me once, only with my flintlock...
I double loaded it...
shocked.gif
(powder-ball, powder-ball)

I had to use a ball puller on mine...

Back