• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WV Flintlock Doe

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
IMG_1461.jpg

I was hunting with my Flintlock during the WV firearms season for buck and anterless deer on November 23,2010. I hunted all day Monday without seeing any deer within my 50yd range. Last year I was unable to harvest a deer with my flintlock, so this year I decided after the first day I would take my first legal deer and not wait on a buck like I did last year and use my anterless permit if necessary. (I hunt all the firearms seasons in WV with a traditional muzzloader.) After hunting all day I was hunting my way back to the truck when out in the hay field about 400 yards away I saw a deer crossing the field. I was in the woods adjoining the field and saw the deer disappear in the roll of the field. It reappeared with another deer about 150 yards away. They were now walking along the edge of the field approaching where I was in the corner edge of the woods. I checked them out and couldn't see any antlers but decided if they came into the corner where I was I would take my best shot. I slipped in behind a tree to use as a rest. They both came into the woods and disappeared via a small steep ravine. I cocked the hammer and waited, one immediately appeared out of the ravine at about 50 yards. I set the rear trigger and placed the bead on the right front shoulder. Squeezing the trigger the flash from the pan and the muzzle were plainly seen in the ever increasing darkness. When the smoke cleared she had disappeared back into the small ravine, where I could hear her thrashing in the leaves. Walking up to the ravine she was piled up against a log breathing her last.

This doe was the first taken using the .62 cal Smoothbore Green Mountain Barrel on a Thompson Renegade Flintlock, using a .600 roundball patched .015, a half cushion wad on 80g of 2F Goex black powder. The shot was placed in the upper right shoulder in a broad side position at a slight uphill angle while still hunting on a friend’s farm in Barbour County at approx. 50 yards. The doe was taken at 4:45pm in second growth timber on my friend's farm. The temperature was 50 degrees.

Meat is now in the freezer and the deer season here in WV should give me another opportunity sometime before the end of the year.

That sounds like a good hunt for sure...well managed and executed, congratulations !

:hatsoff:

Back