• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

WV 8 point buck

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This year the 2013 firearm deer season was cold and crisp in Central West Virginia. It was 15 degrees when I left the truck. I had not been able to tag a deer in the 2012 firearm season, so I was looking for any mature deer to be in range of my 50 cal. long rifle. Last year I hunted in shirt sleeves and this year I was layered up to keep out the cold because I had planned to stay out until sunset if necessary.
I was still hunting on a friend's farm where I have hunted before and was looking for deer sign as I hunted up the ridge and started down the other side, away from some other hunters who were watching the open fields.

Last year central WV had an early snowfall that had broke a lot trees on this farm. The tree tops laying on the ground were difficult last year, but this year with the extra sunshine and wet summer the brush had doubled on the ground and sight distances were very short.

I was working my way down off the ridge and through the brush crunching with every step in the dusting of snow on the ground. Stopping and listening I heard some brush cracking out to my left. I continued to watch and listen, but heard nothing else. I moved forward several more yards to try and find an open spot where I could see a little better. Several minutes later I heard more twigs snapping and leaves crunching.

I re-positioned myself to look in the direction of the noise and after several more minutes I saw a flash of brown about 100 yards away. Then another flash of brown with more branches breaking and leaves crunching.

I then caught a glimpse of an antler on one of the deer and realized it was a buck chasing a doe. I got ready to shoot, because I was fairly certain every deer I was seeing was a mature deer. After several minutes of the deer chasing each other, crashing around in the brush, one stepped out of the brush about 60 yards away and it had antlers.

I was ready, I set the trigger and squeezed off the shot. The deer immediately disappeared. I started reloading for a followup shot if necessary. As the smoke was drifting behind me I noticed more movement in the brush.

Another buck stepped out just to the left of the one I had just shot. Then I saw the doe take off with him right after it. I began slowly walking up to the last place I had saw the buck.

This is what I found, a nice WV 8 point.

I had no idea how large a rack he had when I shot, I just knew he was a mature buck. Prayers were answered, thanks was given and meat is now in the freezer.

I recovered the .490 ball that had smashed though the right shoulder and destroyed the spine of this buck. The patched ball was sitting on top of 80 grains of 2FGoex powder. The David Pedersoli rifle now has another buck to it's resume'

This past year I had entered all of Jethro's shooting contests and was very comfortable shooting offhand at 60 yards to take this buck in the thickets of central WV. Thanks Jethro for giving me a reason to get out and shoot.

I am thinking about doing a European mount on this set of antlers since it is a nice symmetrical rack. I can't eat the antlers but they will remind me of a great day hunting.

WoW Thats A text book Hunt!Brilliant!
IMAG0352_zps6ca0f431.jpg

Outstanding! I agree a skull mount would look good!
Thanks for sharing..Your homework paid off double :thumbsup:

That is a great longrifle hunt.
It is also a great photo of the deer, rifle, snow, leaves, woods,
I suggest getting it framed to go with the antler mount.

PJC

Great hunt! Great deer. Pedersoli rifles are hard to beat! As I read, it felt like I was there. If it were my deer I would get the taxidermist to mount with hide on and with the front legs as a gunrack below. Then I would display the rifle with the deer. Thanks for sharing. :hatsoff:

What a great buck and story. It's amazing how hard you have to work one year and then the next you are blessed so quickly. Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Nice story and buck!
I think it doesn't get better than that.
+1 on the Euro-mount - that's the way to go :wink:

Would you mind snapping a few pics of your rifle?
Is there a sideplate on or is this just reflections.

Silex

Thank you to all who responded.

Here is another picture of the Pedersoli without the reflection. This is a kit gun I bought at the Bargain Cave at Cabela's in 2006.

Back