• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WTK- Gunmaker London named Taylor Circa?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt LaManna

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I'd like some info on a maker named Taylor circa prior to 1780?
Anyone know of anything on this builder?
Thank you!

AZ Longrifle said:
I'd like some info on a maker named Taylor circa prior to 1780?
Anyone know of anything on this builder?
Thank you!

That's a powerful lack of information that you have given us to begin with, Sir.

'About' [that's what circa means] prior to 1780 encompasses the entire history of the human race.

Is the name on an object that we might be able to identify, thereby enabling the more astute among us to even begin to date the name?

Naturally, I exclude myself from that august bunch, my knowledge of gunmakers being confined to the last couple of centuries.

Any pics?

tac

pix487752890.jpg

It's a Blunderbuss circa 1770s maybe 1760s. No other pic of the lock where it is marked "Taylor".

You might try posting on doublegunshop.com. Some regulars there have reference books on London Gun makers over at least two centuries. And, most of those natives are friendly. (I've gotten impressive information on Henry and the more famous Eggs through them.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi AZ,
Harold Blackmore lists 4 gunsmiths named Taylor or Tailor in London during the mid 18th century (1740-1780): Issac, John, Joseph, and William. Issac was active in the 1770's although he was also a hardware supplier and ironmonger. John was active between 1704-1761. Joseph was apprenticed to William Turvey in 1721, which means he was probably active from the late 1720's until mid century. William was apprenticed to George and Edward Turvey in 1748, which means he was probably active in the 1750's - 1780's. It is also possible that the Taylor on the lock was not a London maker but worked in Birmingham. There was a lockmaker, Thomas Taylor, working in Birmingham in the 1770's. There was also Edward Taylor working in Birmingham during that same period. They may have sold guns or parts to the "London" gun trade through agents in the city.

dave

I would like to see the proofs to determine if they are London proofs or Birmingham private proofs as there was an Edward Taylor in Birmingham 1767-1786. There was also Taylor and Co. in London 1770-1780 and that is probably the time frame of this gun in my opinion. The trigger guard is a second pattern acorn finial. The thumbpiece is of a baroque design and the style was on earlier guns but used on into the time frame of this gun. Could be a later lock in it also. There is a Taylor in London c.1800. I believe I would need to see some better pics before I bid it past it's current status.

Thank you, Gentlemen! :hatsoff:
This give me a confirmation of the approx date that I made out from what info I could find.

Back