• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED WTB a 50 Cal Flinter Pennsultucky rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrstang01

32 Cal
Reaction score
The boy is wanting us to try out BP shooting, so I told him I'd post here and see if anyone has a good used rifle they would like to move. I don't want to spend for a new one, as he may not like it, and we don't currently know anyone who shoots BP.

Thanks!

Michael

The boy is wanting us to try out BP shooting, so I told him I'd post here and see if anyone has a good used rifle they would like to move. I don't want to spend for a new one, as he may not like it, and we don't currently know anyone who shoots BP.

Thanks!

Michael
I might suggest a cap lock,instead of flintlock for his first rifle.you can get good Thompson Center or Lyman-Investarms for $200-300.It will simplify it for you guys and if you decide to move forward in the sport,you can buy a quality flintlock.Many,many people have been steered away from the sport from a crappy performing Flintlock.And if you sell the first gun you should be able to recoup most of your investment.

I agree. A caplock has several things going for it for a first time shooter.

First, they can use any of the synthetic black powders on the market making finding some gunpowder for it relatively simple. Most of the gun stores and several of the sporting goods stores carry Pyrodex, Triple Se7en (777) and other psedo black powders. Very few of them carry real black powder which is needed for a flintlock to shoot reliably.

There are a lot more caplock rifles on the market than there are flintlocks so finding one at a low price is much easier.

Caplock's usually cost less than flintlocks. Some flintlocks come from the factory with poor locks. This is especially true of the really old CVA and Jukar guns.

A caplock doesn't need to have any of its parts adjusted in order to shoot reliably. A #11 cap, some powder, a ball and cloth patch with some lube on it is all that is needed.

A flintlock must have a good sharp flint positioned correctly for it to be reliable. Flintlocks also need the right amount of powder in the pan to get good ignition.

Back