• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WTB .610" round ball mould

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The title says it all: I'm looking for a .610" diameter round ball mold, which actually casts [very close to] .610." I'd like to try those in my 20ga. trade gun with tow overpower and over ball wadding.

I did a Google search and came up with a set of mold blocks from Lyman listed at TOTW for around $73, have no clue if they will throw the ball at exactly or very close to the stated diameter.

I use them and they are very close. The last batch I cast had a very small amount of tin and was .612 when cooled off. I'm sure pure lead would've been .610

Maven said:
The title says it all: I'm looking for a .610" diameter round ball mold, which actually casts [very close to] .610." I'd like to try those in my 20ga. trade gun with tow overpower and over ball wadding.

I am curious about why you are so specific about using a 0.610" diameter ball. Have you used other sized balls and were not satisfied with the results? Have you measured your bore and what does it measure?

You other thread in the Shooting Accessories forum has some good links to sources for cast round balls. Try some ball before you spend a lot of money on bullet molds.

Eric Krewson said:
You can get a .610 mold from Jeff Tanner for about half what you would pay for the above mentioned one.

True. But you will need either Lyman or Lee large handles.
It was suggested to me to get a fishing sinker mould and round file ball in the needed size and make your own custom round ball mould.

I never said I haven't tried other RB diameters or lack molds for them, Grenadier. Rather, I was impressed by Mike Beliveau's article on loading the RB in 20ga. smoothbores in the July - August issue of "Muzzleloader" enough to want to try to duplicate his loading of the .610" RB with tow over powder and over ball "wads." I'm having trouble grouping with the .597" - .598" Tanner & Lee Precision RB's + a felt OP wad + a .014" or .018" patch @ 50 yd. so I thought I'd try Mike's method.

Btw, I've seen no difference @ 25 yd.between the 2 RB diameters I mentioned above or with the .600" RB I also cast from a Lyman mold.

Are you using pure lead? As LarryP mentioned different alloys or impurities cause different rates of contraction as the lead cools (coefficient of expansion). The mold is cut larger than 0.610" to get a cool 0.610" round lead ball.

My Lee mold casts beautiful .600" ball from pure lead. When I substitute WW they fall out about.606" which shoots much better in bare ball loads than the lead ball.

Maven said:
I never said I haven't tried other RB diameters or lack molds for them, Grenadier. Rather, I was impressed by Mike Beliveau's article on loading the RB in 20ga. smoothbores in the July - August issue of "Muzzleloader" enough to want to try to duplicate his loading of the .610" RB with tow over powder and over ball "wads." I'm having trouble grouping with the .597" - .598" Tanner & Lee Precision RB's + a felt OP wad + a .014" or .018" patch @ 50 yd. so I thought I'd try Mike's method.

Btw, I've seen no difference @ 25 yd.between the 2 RB diameters I mentioned above or with the .600" RB I also cast from a Lyman mold.

I read Mike Beliveau's article and see the basis for your request for sources for a 0.610" roundball. There are a few things to consider before you get a 0.610" ball stuck in your 0.610" or perhaps a bit larger bore. Mike's bore was 0.615". One of his 20 gauge guns would only accept the 0.610 ball required wiping between shots. The other worked fine with the 0.610 ball. Mike stressed that each gun is unique to its own use and the ball should be about 0.005" under bore diameter to allow the tow to have room to wrap the ball and get pushed down the bore. Mike also used a stout charge of 110 grains (volume) ffg to get his load to work.

Don't be surprised if a 0.610 ball is hard to load in your fowler. Let us know how it works.

My 20 ga Chief's gun mikes at 0.609" (average of four measurements).

I'll stick with a 0.600 ball and wads (might try tow), but might have to go SMALLER if I wanted to patch !!!

Measure it before you buy anything !!!

Grenadier & Dewey, I remember Mike's caveat about each gun being a law unto itself. At 25 yd., a patched RB either .597" or .600" and 80gr. FFg are equally accurate. However, rather than buy a .610" mould, I've asked for and hope to receive samples of same shortly. Once I get them, I'll be able to determine whether the larger bare ball will fit my bore. Btw, I tried the 100- & 110gr. patched RB loads and found no huge improvement over 80- or 90gr., but I need to retest them using a bigger target (8" black circle, 1" white X ring).

Conversely, if one was to custom bore a barrel to a smoothbore 20 gauge, what would the optimum diameter be (in thousanths)?
A suitable RB mold would be what diameter? Planning on using ~.012 patches, btw.

wm

You could buy some ready made .610 balls from Track to try before you buy a mold. I bough a Lee .690 mold for my 12 ga, they shot poorly, I tried some ready made .700 that shot really well so I ordered a Tanner mold in .700.

Like was mentioned Tanner molds don't come with handle but you can buy them from Tanner when you buy the mold. In my case I have so many molds that I have a variety that I don't use and took the handles off them to use on my Tanner.

Back