• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wtb .485 or .486 round ball mold. Lee or lyman.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lyman molds can have a .003 difference in diameter. I have several Lymans bought over the years , some are perfect and some are out of size. Out of size small is workable , but too large , problematic. All my Lee molds are perfect in size and are easier to use than any of the iron molds on the market. .............oldwood

Lyman molds can have a .003 difference in diameter. I have several Lymans bought over the years , some are perfect and some are out of size. Out of size small is workable , but too large , problematic. All my Lee molds are perfect in size and are easier to use than any of the iron molds on the market. .............oldwood
I have been using hornady .490 balls and I have a Lee. 490 mold. Starting ball with pillow ticking seems really tough. Thinner patches burn through. Just wanting to try a smaller ball with pillow ticking. Seems to work really well in my 40 cal going from.395 and dropping to .389. Thanks for the info.

They are made in England. If you purchased a mold, your credit card company would calculate the exchange rate.

As far as the exchange rate to verify cost in dollars, use you search engine and ask to covert English pounds to dollars or multiply the price in pounds by 1.33 will get you close. 28 Pounds is roughly $37.19.

Price comparison...........Lee mold double or single cavity w/handles.....$25.95 Lyman mold ...$94.50.......handles...$48.50 Log Cabin Shop website.......If price is an issue , the choice is easy.........oldwood

I've tried .480 RB as an easier to load charge for my .50, which seemed to work, but just bought a Lee .485 RB mold. I figure it might be an interesting compromise. Haven't gotten around to casting any but looking forward to trying that size.

I've tried .480 RB as an easier to load charge for my .50, which seemed to work, but just bought a Lee .485 RB mold. I figure it might be an interesting compromise. Haven't gotten around to casting any but looking forward to trying that size.
Where did you find the .485" Lee roundball mould? I've not seen that listed with their standard sizes. Maybe a discontinued size, or a short, custom run?

I would like to get one of those. In my .50, the .490" size is hard to load, and with .480" the accuracy decreases. That .485" might be the "Goldilocks" size... juuuust right.

Notchy Bob

Where did you find the .485" Lee roundball mould? I've not seen that listed with their standard sizes. Maybe a discontinued size, or a short, custom run?

I would like to get one of those. In my .50, the .490" size is hard to load, and with .480" the accuracy decreases. That .485" might be the "Goldilocks" size... juuuust right.

Notchy Bob
I just got off the phone with Larry Callahan. He's going to make me a .485 bag mold for $78 dollars shipped.

I have been using hornady .490 balls and I have a Lee. 490 mold. Starting ball with pillow ticking seems really tough. Thinner patches burn through. Just wanting to try a smaller ball with pillow ticking. Seems to work really well in my 40 cal going from.395 and dropping to .389. Thanks for the info.

Change your lube. I use 70% way 30%veg oil and never have burn.

Notchy Bob
I couldn't find one listed either. I just stumbled across this one on fleabay. It looks like NOS. No other bidders. Just my day, I guess.

I would try a wetter patch lube over a felt wad first before spending $$$ on a mold that may or may not work any better than what you have now. It worked very well for me. JMO.

Back