• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wrought iron

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinghewitt

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Out walking the dogs today over at the old tide mills and found a wrought iron bolt, 2 foot long by (originally) 1" diameter. What a treasure for a prosective cannon builder, have to go back and see if there are any more.

The best part is that I got it home, smashed the rust off and put it in with steel stock before the wife got back. She already thinks I'm mad, I see no reason to confirm it ::

best regards

Squire Robin

Out walking the dogs today over at the old tide mills and found a wrought iron bolt, 2 foot long by (originally) 1" diameter.

What is an American wrought iron bolt doing in the old tide mills in England?

Or did you convert it to US standard for us... :D

Finding your cannon one piece at a time, eh Robin?

I was born and raised in a world of feet an inches, money was pounds, shillings and pence.

We still haven't quite converted, all the speed limits are shown in MPH, we buy milk in 2.272 ltr jugs (which just happens to be 4 Imperial pints), but it is illegal to sell a pound of potatoes. Guns are measured in ft/s and ft.lbs, barrel lengths in inches from the point of ignition.

OTOH, wrought iron is wrought iron however you measure it, and nobody makes it anymore ::

The old tide mills just called, they want their bolt back... :D

Someone still has to make wrought iron, it can't all be trapped out...

High in the mountains, in the river of wind, there is a valley, and there are wrought's there...

As many as the stars in the sky...

Robin, do you plan to use the wrought iron bolt on the carriage of a cannon, or sell them as scrap to finance a cannon?

The old tide mills just called, they want their bolt back... :D

Nothing's sacred and I am a terror for collecting old iron. Somewhere in my collection is the bolt from the chuchyard gate on the holy island of Lindisfarne ::

I remember , from a discussion on another forum , that
there is a place where wrought iron is still made
somewhere in Denmark or Sweeden .... look hard.

Or maybe it is sold by the same guy who used
to sell army jeeps for 500 $ ?

Back