• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wrong 1862 pocket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemovir

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Based on Duelist54 video on the 1849 pocket, I order the 1862 police pocket 4 1/2 in barrel from Texas Jack Outfitter since it was in .36. I didn't get the one I wanted.
DSC08520 by Nemovir,

I think I got the 1862 pocket navy. I don't think they make them anymore. I think I should keep it.

Its not an 1862. The 1862 is more streamlined and the cylinder is rebated and fluted. Your revolver is more along the lines of an 1851 Navy model.

Is your revolver a 5 shot for the pocket police configuration.

Still should be a good performing gun.

Here's a link to a photo of a 1862 Colt Pocket Police.

When I check Texas Jack website, they have 2 model of the 1862, one is the streamlined pocket police which looks like the 1862 navy. The other is the pocket navy, which looks like the 1851 navy. They only offer the pocket navy in 5 1/2 and 6 1/2 inch barrel. The one I got has 4 1/2 barrel.

As you know, the 1862 Pocket Police has the streamlined barrel and loading lever, like the 1860 Army. The 1862 Pocket Navy has the same type of barrel and loading lever as the 1851 Navy.

The frames on both of the Pocket models are the same I believe. I have both versions. The photo of your revolver looks as if the cylinder is rebated. Both models are fun shooters.

Interesting, I went to their site and the 4.5" barrel 1862 Pocket listed there was a Pocket Police (streamlined barrel) and not the '62 Pocket Navy. The 4.5" barrel Navy is a scarce model and I'd be tempted to keep the one you have as I always liked the Navy style. I have both the Pocket Police and the pocket Navy with 6.5" barrels and I'm not sure which I like best, a real toss up. The Navy is a little heavier and would hold steadier but that's the only difference other than aesthetics.

While talking about the "Pocket Navy", I think some of you might enjoy reading what Flayderman's Guide says about it.

"Pocket Model of Navy Caliber Revolver: in earlier days of collecting, erroneously called the "Model of 1853" and in more recent times named the "Model 1862 Pocket Navy" revolver.
Now more correctly termed the "Pocket Model of Navy Caliber" or merely "Pocket Navy." Recent studies concluded that it was numbered in its own serial range, and not, as formerly believed, having shared the number series with the Model 1862 Police...
Exact years of production undetermined; estimated sometime between 1863 and 1865 extending to approximately 1872. Under 22,000 manufactured...

36 caliber. 5-shot round, rebated cylinder. 4 1/2", 5 1/2", and 6 1/2" barrels, octagonal, with the Model 1851 Navy style hinged loading lever...

The cylinder roll scene was the stagecoach holdup."

ref: "FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE TO ANTIQUE AMERICAN FIREARMS...and their values", 9th ed. © 2007 by E. Norman Flayderman, (p. 96)

Back