Writing

Discussion in 'Historically Accurate Equipment' started by Crewdawg445, Sep 11, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Sep 15, 2018 #21

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

Cannon MLF Supporter

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2018
    Nyckname likes this.
  2. Sep 19, 2018 #22

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

coloradoclyde

Cannon MLF Supporter

Anyone make their own paper?

3. Sep 19, 2018 #23

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

Crewdawg445

58 Cal. MLF Supporter

If I recall... we did that in grade school. I remember making some form of laid paper... How, I couldn't remember but that would be a interesting topic in itself for sure!

4. Sep 19, 2018 #24

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.

My wife has done it for craft projects, but it would be too coarse for writing the way she has done it.

5. Feb 17, 2019 #25

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

45 Cal.

I found an antique writing - campaign box on e-bay... Every now and then I find some nice tidbits that make this campaign box complete... I also prepared some quills that really work well. In between the weekly shooting at the clubrange I dwell on paleography ... the study of old writing, the manner in how letters and documents were written ... really interesting stuff! If I grow to old for real reenacting and camping out, I can find an new trail there that could last many more years!

Attached Files:

6. Feb 17, 2019 #26

Sicilian Hunter

Sicilian Hunter

Sicilian Hunter

32 Cal.

Thanks for all of the great info Gents!!
    Appreciate you bringing the topic to the fore Dawg.
    I've been planning on writing a journal while on treks and events while afield as a learning tool.
    I may start with a pencil as think I will be wearing more of that ink then writing with it!!! LOL
    I do like the idea though and on the subject of cursive, I remember learning it in school but my Mom was WW2 generation and had a much more classic style that was reminiscent of the 18th C or at least I thought so at the time.
    A lost art today and certainly not taught in the main stream

7. Mar 27, 2019 #27

Hand Raiser

Hand Raiser

Hand Raiser

Supporting Member MLF Supporter

I also have a writing desk almost identical to yours and use it at every event which I attend. I have kept an illustrated journal of my outings and get a big kick out of modern folks who visit some of the rondys which are open to the public. Many have never seen a metal nib dip pen let alone a quill so I will often let them try one out...sometimes not good for the quill though. As far as paper goes I lean towards good paper which will hold up to ink washes and watercolor paint.

8. Mar 29, 2019 #28

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

Kansas Jake

54 Cal.

When I was in high school and that was when some folks still used fountain pens and a jar of ink, I would find goose or chicken feathers and cut quills on them with my pen knife. Actually the knife was just my pocket knife. It was fun to write with them and try to not make too big of a mess.

9. Apr 9, 2019 #29

Treestalker

Treestalker

Treestalker

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

I tried making quills in my misspent youth by cutting the split in the nib. Didn't work. I read years later that the cut feather can be boiled and then pressure 'cracked'. If done right this is supposed to be successful, but I haven't tried it. Also, I made a nice black walnut officers lap secretary for WBTS use, but a friend's 10 year old daughter fell in love with it, and as she was an up and coming writer, well, the rest is history. It fit her better anyway, my impression as a corporal was better served with a leather note book and a natural eraser less pencil, as Crewdawg described. Great post. Geo.

10. Apr 9, 2019 #30

old ugly

old ugly

old ugly

40 Cal.

I have made paper from old paper that is soaked water and mushed up to a slurry then a screen is dipped into the slurry, lifted out and let dry. It is an easy process.

I have not tried making paper from scratch with harvested materials.

People think of rice paper when they think of Japanese papers but mulberry is what a lot of it is made from.
    Ou
    Tom

11. Apr 9, 2019 #31

old ugly

old ugly

old ugly

40 Cal.

I am so bad at writing I try to avoid it. I like that people document their experiences in a historical manner.
    Not all paper is good quality.
    If you do a journal do it on a good archival paper. Make your journal out of artist quality paper or buy a good one, that way it will be around for hundreds of years.
    Ou
    Tom

12. Apr 9, 2019 #32

old ugly

old ugly

old ugly

40 Cal.

I don’t know what is HC but I used to do Lino cut and block cut prints and we always printed on archival papers. Costs more and is a lot of time sold in full sheets (big I don’t remember the measurements), I was told “if you by chance make a quality pc it better be on the proper paper”.
    Ou
    Tom

13. Apr 9, 2019 #33

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 Cal

You can also chop up fabric to make paper. Cotton or linen.

I used to use a silk screen printing screen to make rag paper. It gave the finest texture of anything that was readily available at the time.