• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wrapping it up

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to wrap up deer season in Alabama, there are a couple of days left but I only have public land to hunt now.

They have 5 day hunts on one side of the Mgt area then swap sides for the next 5 days. I had scouted out several good places on the west side and got away from the crowd for some enjoyable hunts, no deer but the swirling wind gave me away on the last evening I was able to hunt.

I went in cold on the east side yesterday evening, no scouting. I found lots of sign but fresh boot prints in the old logging road. The terrain that I thought was flat turned out to look like the grand canyon.

At about 4:30 I heard walking behind me about 50 yards up the ridge, sounded like a couple of deer, then it sounded like a person, then it sounded like a deer. I was off the ridge and couldn't see what it was.

When I came out there were two trucks parked in close proximity to mine, too crowded for me.

Today I start unloading stuff from my truck(like an archaeological dig), shooting and cleaning my two loaded flintlocks and putting all the packs, stands and other related stuff back up in the attic.

Squirrel hunting is open until the end of Feb and I will make my first serious attempt to kill a few with my new flinter.

I have killed a lot of deer with a flintlock, I got three with it this year but on private land. Killing one on public land is a challenge. They clear cut the thousands of acres on the Mgt area I once hunted so I have to find new places.

I only hunt the Alabama mgt area after the Tn deer season closes on Jan 10th, Bama runs until Feb 10th.

Muzzleloading season will open in the Panhandle of Fla. from Feb. 19-25 on private land but I don't have any to hunt on so it's hogs and small game until March 3rd.

I hate to see it end but, then again, getting kinda worn out too.

After a couple of weeks I'll be antsy for next year's season to hurry up and get here.

I live in a country setting, houses are a couple hundred yards apart, I have 4 acres of woods next to my house, it is legal to shoot here. The deer are thick but I have never shot one on my place, been tempted a bunch of times but never pulled the trigger.

I could have shot these two during daylight hours but let them go.

bqZsOwy.jpg

15 minutes before dark on the last day of the season I looked out the kitchen window and saw 4 does in my front yard.

I slipped out through the garage and peeked through the bushes at the deer 30 yards away, my gun was close at hand. I could tell the four I was looking at were this years youngsters, about 65# each, their mamas were no where in sight. A few minutes later their moms showed up but in line with a house down the road, this made 6 deer in my yard.

I still had a clear shot at one of the youngsters, it was raining cats and dogs, it was getting dark and I didn't want to fool with a deer, I let them go.

On that note deer season closed for me in Alabama, a relief of sorts, I was getting burned out having hunted so much this year.

That buck in the back would tempt me something fierce.
I live on a 60 acre farm but there are no deer around here. I haven't seen one within 5 miles of my place since I moved here in 1976.

We have four antlerless deer - two still very small - that have been all around the house this fall and winter. Under the rear deck and under the "wings' on the barn where I park our boat.

Almost every morning they are out in either the front or back. In the moonlit snow I have seen them within 15 feet of the bedroom window. I let our dog out two days ago (he's pretty old and mostly blind) and one stood broadside 60 yards away in the lawn across the road watching us and never even lifted her tail.

We sold our sheep flock this fall and I opened the gates to the pasture and the deer are pawing around out there. A nice set-up shot from the back deck. Should we ever be starving.

I may never be able to shoot a doe again.

The good news is this is definitely their home range and come fall the boys will arrive. I hunt the woods behind the house and took two bucks (bow & gun) this fall.

We also have deer all over the neighborhood but shooting isn't legal. Big does and truly enormous bucks tease us constantly. They'll camp out in our back yard, congregate in the street and this is in daylight as well as dark. And we have true "albino" deer; not piebald but pink eyed albino! I never see this in the hunting woods. :v:

We live in a similar setting here in the Arkansas Ozarks. It is a rare day when we do not see deer in our yard. I don't shoot them here but once hiked about a 1/2 mile down the holler to get one. However, this year there was a special season encouraging the taking of does on private property. The deer population in northern Arkansas is so thick that they have become a serious road hazard and destroy gardens.

Back