• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Wowser….

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great that you had good experience! I have the same in LH, shortened the bbl. and re-finished all the metal and wood, removed the 'crescent', etc., but haven't shot that much. Good luck, they're apparently a desirable rifle on this site, as much content has been posted about them. Thanks.
That sounds like a real project. You have my respect for indulging that deeply into it.

I picked up a .50 GPR early fall. It was to be my main hunting gun this year. I have really liked it!! The bore was a little rough and it likes thick patches. I have it shooting pretty good now!! Target session before my last hunting trip. 50 yards with shooting sticks. The hight shot I was eye balling the powder level in an antler mesure. The mesure was for 80 grains and I was hoping for 60. I think my eye was off!! The right one….well I was just off! LOL!
Hope yours shoots great!!

Attachments

• 931E0AFC-A667-49E6-BE2C-3FEC6C18D24E.jpeg
    931E0AFC-A667-49E6-BE2C-3FEC6C18D24E.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Shooting pretty good looks like an understatement.

Everyone keeps talking about 60 grains or more of powder. Going from 50 grains to 65 grains took my 2.5 inch groups and turned them into 6 inch groups. Been wondering if going higher than 65 will tighten the group back up again. Only one way to find out.

Last edited:
Shooting pretty good looks like and understatement.

Everyone keeps talking about 60 grains or more of powder. Going from 50 grains to 65 grains took my 2.5 inch groups and turned them into 6 inch groups. Been wondering if going higher than 65 will tighten the group back up again. Only one way to find out.
Give it a try!! Mine for sure likes 60 best! Mine was blowing through patches once past 65 grains. So it’s hard to tell whether it’s poor grouping because of higher powder or torn patches.

Give it a try!! Mine for sure likes 60 best! Mine was blowing through patches once past 65 grains. So it’s hard to tell whether it’s poor grouping because of higher powder or torn patches.
What thickness were those patches that were blown through and what type of lube?

Basically I’m using 100% cotton canvas….. I think it’s like .022… It was shredding .018 ticking patches. These were okey yoke pre lubed patches. It would tear or blow holes through .020 cotton fabric. I liked how the .020 cotton went down the barrel but it was inconsistent. Some would come out whole , maybe 30-40%, the rest would be torn in half or donuts. For the .020 and .022 patches I have used avocado oil as a lube.

A few days ago I purchased a .54 Lyman Great Plains rifle off of a member on here. There was a little ambiguity about the history of it but it was listed as in like new condition and it had only been fired two shots. Tracking information stated it was scheduled for delivery on Tuesday. Well, I was away from home today and when I pulled up to my house there was the box leaning next to my door. To my surprise It had arrived 3 days early. Still being a little unsure about the rifle I hurried and unboxed it. It was in the original box. Took it out, assembled it and cleaned her up a bit. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the seller was correct on his listing. It took me a while before I could find any imperfections on it. Swabbed the barrel out and looked down it the best I could with a LED light. It looks new. Not a mark or scratch on the stock anywhere. With only a couple of very minor imperfections, this ML does, in fact, look like new.

Now with that said, I don’t want to get the wagon ahead of the mules. Still need to load her and see how she shoots. But as of now, I feel very blessed to obtain this rifle.

Only a couple of pics for now. I want to take more outside tomorrow.View attachment 190167youView attachment 190169
You have a recently discontinued rifle that is in relatively speaking high demand. Leave it alone and enjoy it for what it is. It will serve you well after you get to know it.

Basically I’m using 100% cotton canvas….. I think it’s like .022… It was shredding .018 ticking patches. These were okey yoke pre lubed patches. It would tear or blow holes through .020 cotton fabric. I liked how the .020 cotton went down the barrel but it was inconsistent. Some would come out whole , maybe 30-40%, the rest would be torn in half or donuts. For the .020 and .022 patches I have used avocado oil as a lube.
Was it shredding the .018 patches due to it cutting them or actually blowing through them?

2F or 3F Black?

Taylor Pork Roll is a Christmas tradition with my family.

This year I saved the tightly woven cloth wrapper.

Patches! .017 thick.

I was thinking about how to lubricate the material. Then it dawned on me. That material had been marinating in pork fat since it went on the pork roll.

Attachments

• IMG_2068.JPG
    IMG_2068.JPG
    990.4 KB · Views: 0
It was cutting. I was finding multiple pieces. I was using 3F. For some reason I didn’t take any photos of the .018 patches. Here are some of the .020 cotton patches.

Attachments

• 11153A7A-CD77-46B9-8AE6-365A542C8635.jpeg
    11153A7A-CD77-46B9-8AE6-365A542C8635.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 33F00D07-AAA7-4D8D-948C-4042EF789D4A.jpeg
    33F00D07-AAA7-4D8D-948C-4042EF789D4A.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Very very nice indeed. I wish my GPH had a lighter stock like yours. It was so dark when I got it I lightly rubbed it down several times trying to lighten it up without having to redo everything.
Run several patches of metal polish up and down your barrel for 50 or more passes. It will smooth it out and help break it in. There are many other abrasives mentioned here but I haven't personally used them. If you want good groups along with severe knock down power you owe yourself at least 1 box of 430g T/C maxi balls if you can find them. I used to shoot 110g 3f with them but backed it down to 90 lately.
Enjoy that beautiful gun.

Good lookin’ GPR’s everyone. I like mine a lot. I refinished the wood on mine as it was a uniform, muddy brown. Looks much better now. I shoot 80 grains of Pyrodex RS in mine with a .022 patch.

Woser (again). No more than this old boy shoots, its going to take me a long while to get this one broken in, if ever.

I plan on dissembling it today, pulling the lock and trigger mechanisms, and giving them a little TLC. The seller stated that he believes this is an earlier GPR. So no telling how long it has been since that last oiling, if ever.

The wood appears to be made of higher quality walnut with shallower or little grain indentions. I use to refinish stocks for people, as well as my own, so I am very tempted to go to work on this one. However, from the time I first wanted one of these ML, one thing I like the most about them is the older rustic look. So I'm trying to fight off the urge of spiffing this one up. One thing is for certain, however. There isn't a scratch or dent in the wood anywhere.

With that said, this will be a working, hunting ML. I do not abuse my big tools, but it will get some wear and tear on it in time.

Another thing that surprises me is the barrel has been blued. I had thought they were browned and I was actually looking forward to it being so.
I know what you mean about the pores needing filler. I don’t know why so many skip this step. The poorest gunsmith on the frontier would fill the grain on a walnut stock. ..

I know what you mean about the pores needing filler. I don’t know why so many skip this step. The poorest gunsmith on the frontier would fill the grain on a walnut stock. ..
Absolutely. From what I've seen on some of those pores, no telling what kind of dangerous critters could have hidden in those crater size imperfections just waiting for right moment to jump out and kill those frontiersman. Those poor guys, they had so many dangers to confront on a daily basis.:)

Last edited:
Steve Martin knows how to take a picture of a gun. Out in bright light without a dark background and a bunch of shadows or clutter. Good picture of that rifle.

Steve Martin knows how to take a picture of a gun. Out in bright light without a dark background and a bunch of shadows or clutter. Good picture of that rifle.
Thanks. Ya know, I've been accused of being a lot of things in my life, and hardly any of them were to my credit nor to my likin. Being a good photographer has never been one of them. :)

Ed, thanks for your review, nice to know people are honest, And big SHOUT OUT for USPS
Actually, thank you very much. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy this ML. I will be doing a more detailed review of this ML covering more areas and adding more comments after I put it through its paces. Waiting on a cleaning jag, bore brush, swab and a bore light to arrive before I fire it. I had planned on trying to use a .50 caliber jag for now, but I am afraid of losing a cleaning patch down inside the barrel so I best wait. I also would like to know the ML is getting a proper cleaning after it has been fired. I want to take extra good care of this one.

More in depth review on the way.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back