• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wow, Prices are something

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHickam

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Man, I have been surfing the net for 3 wks now - looking for a inexpensive fowler/trade gun to purchase - and I have decided that even though I want to get a PC smoothbore - I really can't afford one. I didn't figure I could afford a $2000 piece or art but figured I could get a pretty nice smoothbore for about $750

Most that I like are closer to $1500 than I can justify - the ones in the $500-750 price range I am told are absolute junk - not PC, very heavy and crude. I have neither the tools nor the confidence to try to re-work a gun.

I am not looking for a work of art just a functional/useable piece that has decent lock time and goes boom with reasonable accuracy.

I re-read my post a bit - it really sounds like I am whining - which perhaps I am a bit.

I remember in 1991 - I bought a CenterMark fusil de chasse for $600 or so - I guess when you adjust for inflation (4% or so) over 15 yrs a fusil that costs $1000 is reasonable.

Have you looked at the Mortimer 12 ga. flint.
That is one fine piece at a reasonable price.
The finish on the stock may be a little too modern for your taste, but that is an easy remedy.
I hope this helps.
Best Regards
Old Ford

Contact forum member Bobby Christian. He built me my new fowler and it is really nice. And it is in your price range. Not a long waiting time like some places either.

$500 will buy the PARTS to make a nice gun. Then someone has to build it. We can't do it for free (though I'd bet most gunmakers end up making very little per hour of their labor....I know I do!) Figure that it will take 40 hours of work (or more) to build a plain gun...(that's about how long it takes me doing everything by hand...that is when all goes well...)

If I can afford a $2000 piece or art anyone can.

From first thought to completion took a little over a year. First figured out what I could afford each month and gathered the parts. After dismissing thoughts of trying to build the gun myself, I contacted a builder who's work I liked and shipped everything to him except wood. I saved and parted ways with 3 guns to pay for his skill and do not at all regret doing so.

You want a run of the mill $750.00 gun, buy one. If you want something a little different and something you'll always be proud of, I suggest you take the time to think on it, you just might see a way where it is in reach. :v

Oh, I appreciate the work that goes into a nice gun - in the past I owned two of them - One that I paid about $1200 in 1989 and another I paid about $750 for in 1991 - and I regret selling both of them.

Just like dog trainers (that's what I do) by the time you figure all the stuff in it - gunmakers don't make alot.

IE - I train dogs at $400 a month - put about 20-30 hrs into each dog a month and clear about $225. Not sure gun makers make much more than I do per hour. Which is a shame. And I really wish I could fly a $1500-$2000 dollar gun by the wife.

I couldn't agree more. Quality lasts, and a beautiful fowler will continue to please long after the cost is forgotten. Always try to buy the most gun that you can--it is the best way to keep disappointment at bay.

I'm pretty happy with my Middlesexvillage smoothbore.If you don't like the one they send Im sure they'll make it right.Ive heard people have asked them to tune the lock for them and just refinishing can be fun....Mark

KHick - I sent you an email with some info.

hope this helps .... Wart

Go to track of the wolf and click on used guns for sale. There is always smoothbores in your price range made by some of the finest gun makers.
Shure they are used but you don't have to waite as long as a year to get one.
I bought a TVM American fowler last year for 850.00. They said it was used but I coulden't tell.

I have noticed the 750-800 dollar guns of a couple a years ago are 1000+ now, if you shop around all the classified you can usually find a nice trade gun of fusil for $700-$800 that might be the way to go.

Centermark's guns start at just under 1100.00 now. The price on a lot of the raw materials have went up as well. There was one advertised on Frontier folk for 900.00 a few days ago. I'd recomend what some of the others have, keep your eye out for a used one.

I just bought a nice 20 ga fowler for $750.00. It had some problems, but then it seems all guns need some work. I elongated the holes in the underlugs, polished up the works on the lock and replaced the front sight. It shoots good and is getting better. You need to go to some of the rendezvous and other get togethers to get a bargain. I had only been looking for about 3 years when I found this one.

Many Klatch

Prices are what they are. Right, wrong or indeferent.

As a cousumer it is hard to justify the money.

As a builder minimum wage is not an option.

If you have limited funds put them in a cookie jar and try and put $20 bucks or so a week in the jug. Soon enough you will enough cash.

At that point you have to have to justify spending the money or not. The high cost of a quality entry semi-custom is in my opinion incredible.

At the rondy or the range you can have the same amount fun import or custom, you just look better with a Mike Brooks Jewel than a David Pedresoli impression.

How much you want to spend to look cool/ and or PC is up to you.

:surrender: I don't mean to be rude, It's just that I have counted out more than my share of C notes to look cool it is just part of the deal.

Muzzleloader mag just had a write up on Pedersoli trade gun and Hawken.I shot one of the trade guns and to handle it and shoot it I really liked it.IMO there are American made TG for about the same amount,But the Ped. is a nice gun

cptleo,
I have shot the Italians and I have shot the American made TC's. Believe me, it ain't just about being cool. I have a lot more fun with a Chambers lock and a Getz barrel. I like when the balance and handling are superb. Etc. etc. etc.
Just my humble opinion.
volatpluvia

Back