• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would you shoot this 1970's Japan import Tower Flint ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one would not be afraid to fire it. I shoot mine all the time as a shotgun with hornets / wasp nest for wadding. that is because I cannot find a ball to fit it. all that I have seen have a round barrel and this is the first octagon one. even with the chip, witch can be filled in with a furniture crayon, just get one / a color to closely match, they work great.

about 10 to 15 years ago they were on a lot of tables at gun shows for $25.00 to $75.00. or make an offer. and no body wanted them. now you can get them on GUN BROKER for $200.00 & up. and they sell. who would have ever thought??

I got it as part of an auction lot that had two rifles I wanted

Looks like the holes for the sights were drilled all the way through and the sights screwed in. Does that make this a no go for shooting ?

I have enough on my plate right now with 2 new revolvers and two new rifles, one of which is giving me fits trying to work up a load. and I don't want to deal with this.
I'm going to put it on the Buy Sell Trade forum but I don't want to overprice it, would be nice to break even though
What's it worth?
I'd like anyone who buys it to be able to sell if for at least 25% more on Ebay

The negatives
One screw is not a match, Was missing when I got it and I happened to have one that fit
Has a good sized chip on the butt by the cap
I tried to get it to spark but the one flint I have is way to big - and I'm brand new to flintlock so only have the one that came with the rifle
Had one and shot it lots with 50gr 3f.I had to harden the frizzen, went bang every time.
Sold it on Gunbroker for $260 last month.

I got it as part of an auction lot that had two rifles I wanted

Looks like the holes for the sights were drilled all the way through and the sights screwed in. Does that make this a no go for shooting ?

I have enough on my plate right now with 2 new revolvers and two new rifles, one of which is giving me fits trying to work up a load. and I don't want to deal with this.
I'm going to put it on the Buy Sell Trade forum but I don't want to overprice it, would be nice to break even though
What's it worth?
I'd like anyone who buys it to be able to sell if for at least 25% more on Ebay

The negatives
One screw is not a match, Was missing when I got it and I happened to have one that fit
Has a good sized chip on the butt by the cap
I tried to get it to spark but the one flint I have is way to big - and I'm brand new to flintlock so only have the one that came with the rifle
If the frizzen sparked, I would; using light loads at first. Sure.

I have seen others with octogon barrels, but only in pictures on the net and only a few. In looking down the bore, I do see something at the top in the rear as if the rear sight is attached to a post driven into the bore. Find someone with a bore camera to get a better look and where that thing in the bore is located compared to the rear sight placement. I would definitely not shoot it until you have investigated that rear sight attachment.

about 10 to 15 years ago they were on a lot of tables at gun shows for $25.00 to $75.00. or make an offer. and no body wanted them. now you can get them on GUN BROKER for $200.00 & up. and they sell. who would have ever thought??
I just seen one at a local rendezvous going for 125.00 with flint and ammo they are stil out there

I have 6+?. and if another one came up I would grab it in the $ 100.00 range. and I need it like CUSTER NEEDED ANOTHER 100 INDIANS!!! BTW, they make a great shooter, and they give your closet queens a rest.

I shot a pvc pipe with a glued on cap. It lasted several shots before it blew. Forgett did some god awful charges on a Zouave barrel. I would feel safe with that gun to 30-40 grain charges and patched ball
Fadala ran a series of tests on “barrels” made of hard copper tubing. He used patched .530 round balls over charges up to 100 grains 2f. He didn’t get any to blow until he left a significant air gap (maybe 8” or more) over the powder charge. Even then, some charges only produced a walnut or bulged section in the tube.

I would bet the ranch that it has been “re-barreled”.
I would tend to agree, but the marks on the barrel look legit. I repaired a lock on an old Japanese tower with a round barrel that the breech was welded in, so I would load it strong and tie it to a fence post to test it,

If it were re-barreled you'd expect it to have been shot at least once, it wasn't. Not a scratch on the frizzen.
I got it 27+ years ago from a military collector/hoarder (friends father in law) who had purchased it new and hung it on the wall.
I never shot it.

Since this thread began I passed it on to another gentleman, he plans on shooting it. I expect him to chime in when he does.

Ok Everyone,
Since I got it I've taken it apart and fiddled with it some.
Sudsy represented it accurately to me before I purchased it so don't go down that rabbit hole!
Comparing it to my TC Hawken flintlock which runs smooth the pistol needs to have a stronger mainspring and a weaker frizzen spring.
So I'd like to hear all the advice from everyone on this thread from why don't you change it to percussion to change the stock to Alabama whistle wood and it will cut down on the vibration, etc.
Go for it!

I have a couple of those 70's Japanese Tower pistols. They were probably made by a different company though, because they' have round barrels. They're a hoot to shoot. I like to load them up pretty strong, hand them to friends who've never shot anything black powder before, and watch the gleeful smiles break out after they pull the trigger.

But sights on a Tower pistol are definitely wishful thinking. Seems to me they were originally designed as point-and-shoot weapons at close range, with mass cavalry charges in mind.

I'm no gunsmith, but if the rear sight has tight threads I'd probably shoot it using light loads. Don't take my word for it though...
There is only one gun factory in Japan because they lost WWII. Miroku.
Nit Wit

When these were new they were well under 100 bucks. they were a bit clunkey, some sparked some didn't. Many of us old guys had one or two in the past!
Nit Wit

!bored024.jpg

Latest posts

Back