• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Would you consider this modified Rev. War pistol accurate?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MStriebel

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,

An ancestor of my fought for George Roger's Clark's Illinois Regiment of the Virginia Militia. In researching papers on the unit, I found out that they received pistols in 1781 that were issued to the unit prior to their raid on the Shawnee. My research indicates that these pistols were most likely French Model 1763 pistols.

I have since been looking for a genuine antique Model 1763 pistol to add to my collection. I thought I found the perfect one. The pistol had an initial engraved on it as would be typical of an American owned pistol and everything ask explained by the antique dealer was in keeping with what I would expect for a correct pistol of the period.

As soon as I received the pistol I had an expert review it, and he told me that the pistol looked correct -- expect for the forestock being shortened and the brass band around the barrel being a modification.

Do you think this type of modification something that would have been typical of what a soldier in the Revolutionary War would have done to keep a pistol in service, or do you think this is likely just some modification made long after the war and I should try to return the pistol and search for a pistol that is authentic to what a Revolutionary War solider would have carried?

The first 4 images show the pistol I purchased. The last photo shows the Model 1763 as it should look in its original form

1_Barrel.jpg
[/url]

screen shot in windows [/img]

Definitely not he right barrel band. You might be able to get an accurate copy from The Rifle Shopp, assuming they have one in stock and I'd recommend you be sure before ordering, their shipping time frame can be rather tricky. The color can be aged to matched and the front of the stock could also be reworked to match, the repair would be hidden to some extent by the barrel band.

Hi Wes/Tex,

Many thanks for the reply and good suggestion. I think I need to learn to treat antique dealers like I do used car dealers and have a "buyer beware" attitude in the future.

As I was searching through some books, I found that the front brass band on the pistol I purchased the same as was used on the French Model 1777 Charleville musket.

In reading up on the Model 1777, it seems as though the consensus opinion is that while a lot of these muskets saw service during the Revolutionary War, the French mostly kept these rifles to themselves and gave the American troops the older model 1763 and 1766.

Do you think there is any real possibility this change of the band could have occurred during the war do you think it much more likely a change somebody made long thereafter? Unless a soldier was just trying to cobble together something to keep a pistol in service, the only advantage I could see to changing the band is that the musket band would gives the soldier a front sight to help with aiming.

Thanks,

Matt

It's hard to say for sure, but if I had to guess at this point I'd have to go with a later replacement since it's not even known for sure if the French troops serving over here then had even received the M.1777 as issue then. The same front barrel band stayed in production from then until the 1840's. If I had to put money on it, I'd have to go with "done later".

Done later. 1777 not here much even in French hands at end of war. Is the barrel the correct length? Ramrod replaced (too)!?

Wes/Tex and Alden,

Many thanks for your insights. I am within the time period during which I can still return the pistol to the dealer and get a refund, and I have done so. I am out some shipping costs, but I guess that will just remind me to do my homework BEFORE the purchase next name.

Thanks again for sharing your expertise.

I'm glad you have a vision to move toward, and a reason to do so.

In his defense, the antique dealer, unless he specializes in firearms, was probably also in the dark as to precisely what the pistol is. That's why we have experts to know all the details and minutia of the topics they are so passionate about. I suspect you are on your way to expert status on these pistols.

Your nose cap/front barrel band is off a replica 1777 Charleville musket--probably Indian made as the Italian repros have the correct one made from iron/steel.

MS: Here is a good copy (except the crappy band sawed flint :haha: )of the 1766 French Pistol made from parts from TRS. It is virtually identical to the Mod. 1763 except it has the shorter 9" barrel and single, longer barrel band. But, according to the TRS catalog, almost all the original 1763's were Factory altered to equal the newer 1766 Model. Only TRS makes a copy of the original 1763 with a 12" barrel and two barrel bands. The belt hook on this pistol is an addition. Anyway, hope the photos help. JFYI
Rick. :hatsoff:

Back