• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Would You Buy This?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently I learned about the Remington police model .36s:

862B921D-F3E1-4B18-B786-604A423FEC2C.jpeg

8D391755-B19C-4FB8-8559-39F3D879CCDA.jpeg

AA07417C-BFD0-4AC9-BC5B-0523626E88F8.jpeg

The police model was a 5 shot .36 caliber compact pistol in the same vein as the famous Colt 1862 Police. There was also the obscure Belt sized 6-shot medium frame models that came in single OR double action.

I love a reproduction of the Belt or Police sized Remington .36s. Would anyone else enjoy that? I think it’d be a lot of fun. Thoughts?

I'd buy one of each if I could find one. Have had a 58 Remington since 71.Turned down a chance to pick up a steel pocket Rem at Cabelas for $95 and am still kicking myself.

Hmmm..... 😙. I'm thinking of the Remington Police to go along with my Remington Army with some of the $1400 the federales intends to give me as the senate just passed the so called pandemic relief bill today.

If Pietta and/or Uberti would make a Remington Police model that was a close copy of the original, I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Recently I learned about the Remington police model .36s:

View attachment 67522

In your photo the Army and the Navy are more representative of the Remington Beals revolver. Both show very few barrel screw threads, unlike the Belt and Police which have 3-4+ threads showing, like the Remington New Model Army. This was done when Remington was pursuing an Army contract post 1863 and the Army did not like the fact that the cylinder bound up on the frame after several shots. The exposed threads on the barrel did a better job of scraping the BP residue from the cylinder face and not binding it up on the frame.

Regards,

Jim

The Pocket is a whole nother story.

More Remington Police .36:

8F1A0724-0AA2-41A6-BE31-9420E75554C5.jpeg

Note silver plated triggerguard. Seems like a wonderful little packing pistol. More powerful and shootable than the tiny Pocket model for sure and would help fill the gap between the rather massive Army sized offering and the diminutive and meager Pocket model.

Last edited:
Hi, Smokey, thanks for that picture of your original .36 Police. My repro, many years ago, had a 6" barrel; I think that was all they made (repro), but your original example with the 4 1/2 inch(?) barrel is a beauty. I'd love to have one in that length for a pocket pistol, and I really like the shape of that original trigger! I hope Pietta will make one like that, it will be my first factory new C&B in about 40 years! Maybe we can get enough donations together to help Pietta tool up. How about a GoFundMe page? We have a medical condition; RNMS, Remington New Model Syndrome, we need a new model repro'ed every so often to reduce dull care and keep new shooters interested in the Dark Arts and to encourage private citizen carry for ladies and the infirm. Thanks again for your post!

More Remington Police .36:

View attachment 67714
Note silver plated triggerguard. Seems like a wonderful little packing pistol. More powerful and shootable than the tiny Pocket model for sure and would help fill the gap between the rather massive Army sized offering and the diminutive and meager Pocket model.
That’s the best looking Remington I have seen to date. And I’ve seen some pretty pistols.

Hi, Smokey, thanks for that picture of your original .36 Police. My repro, many years ago, had a 6" barrel; I think that was all they made (repro), but your original example with the 4 1/2 inch(?) barrel is a beauty. I'd love to have one in that length for a pocket pistol, and I really like the shape of that original trigger! I hope Pietta will make one like that, it will be my first factory new C&B in about 40 years! Maybe we can get enough donations together to help Pietta tool up. How about a GoFundMe page? We have a medical condition; RNMS, Remington New Model Syndrome, we need a new model repro'ed every so often to reduce dull care and keep new shooters interested in the Dark Arts and to encourage private citizen carry for ladies and the infirm. Thanks again for your post!
The trigger, loading lever and port, all the dimensions just look elegant and well formed. Not as elegant as an 1860 Colt of course but that’s a very high bar...

Back