• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would This Make Sense?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm thinking of having my Pedersoli Harper's Ferry .54 cal pistol bored out to .550 or 28 gauge. I've been eyeing .56 cals and 28 gauge smoothy long guns online and I thought it would be handy to have two guns sharing the same wads, balls, etc. What do you think? Thanks

What do you want to do with the pistol when done?

Have a cool, bore-matched set with your smoothbore?
Shoot shot at small game ?
Shoot smoothbore pistol events?
Just for targets? and thus simplicity when casting round ball?
Hunt deer if it meets modern DNR regs? (It would work in Maryland with that 10" barrel ; can't say for other states ;) )
Use it to dispatch a wounded deer when you come up on it, or come across one wounded by another hunter (and thus save the rifle for a more distant shot) ?

Any of the above are valid reasons. If it makes you happy, go for it.

OH and Don't Forget to share some photos of it when it's done please....,

LD

Do it if that’s what you want bud. It makes sense. They did it in WW2 with the Thompson and the 1911. No need to be fumbling around when you could have everything in one bag.

.54 is the historical caliber for this reproduction . These are a repro of the Confederate converted pistols. They can use a .490 ball in a paper cartridge, that's what makes them cool.

If I were going to open up a pistol to a .55 smoothy I'd do it with a .54 Kentucky Bounty flintlock or percussion

I'm thinking of having my Pedersoli Harper's Ferry .54 cal pistol bored out to .550 or 28 gauge. I've been eyeing .56 cals and 28 gauge smoothy long guns online and I thought it would be handy to have two guns sharing the same wads, balls, etc. What do you think? Thanks

Should not be any safety issues. All the reamer will be doing is removing the rifling, and maybe another .020” or less.
A .54 is really already a 28 gauge anyway.

Measure your bore, it may be .55 already.

There is probably plenty more meat on that barrel than the originals had, the Italian gunmakers make the barrels thick to protect themselves from lawsuits.

Back