• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Would like to see some .45 woodsrunners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 45 would be the heaviest of the Woodsrunner rifles and would hold steady the best for off hand shooting ; targets, etc.
Even though a 54 is quite tempting I've given one of these some thought.

I just finished one in .50. Probably the best feeling rifle I’ve handled in a long time.
Im with Mike, I think the 45 would be awfully heavy, also thinking the 54 would be a little too light for offhand shooting. Probably great for hunting, but I think the .50 would be an ideal all around rifle.

Yeah , I know the woodsrunner in 45 would be heavier than the 50 or 54. I thought about a 45 SMR but not sure it would take a beating in my woods. I love the look of both.

Yeah , I know the woodsrunner in 45 would be heavier than the 50 or 54. I thought about a 45 SMR but not sure it would take a beating in my woods. I love the look of both.
I just finished my 45 smr, it is a slim rifle and light but can't see why it wouldn't hold to hunting in your woods unless you used it as a brush beater. I bought mine to deer hunt and whatever in Pennsylvania woods.

I just finished my 45 smr, it is a slim rifle and light but can't see why it wouldn't hold to hunting in your woods unless you used it as a brush beater. I bought mine to deer hunt and whatever in Pennsylvania woods.
Exactly what I just did.

I put the barrel and lock onto my regular grade maple .54 Woodsrunner stock and man it is LIGHT. It's the AR-15 of the muzzleloader world.

I know. Sacrilege.

Hmm...

A 45 Caliber Woodsrunner is going to look just like a Woodsrunner in a .50 or .54. Same barrel profile, same everything else. The only visual difference is when you look at the bore. Other than that, the looks will depend on the assembler.
True enough. The point a few folks are making is a 45 cal will be noticeably heavier due to a heavier barrel (smaller bore in the same barrel profile).

Too heavy.
I just finished one in .50. Probably the best feeling rifle I’ve handled in a long time.
Im with Mike, I think the 45 would be awfully heavy, also thinking the 54 would be a little too light for offhand shooting. Probably great for hunting, but I think the .50 would be an ideal all around rifle.
Hey, I’m easy. I’ll just get a .50 next. ;)

I agree with all of the comments. .54 is best, followed by .50 and.54. All for weight and handling characteristics. Now some like a heavier rifle and in this case a .45 might be the ticket. With all this said, a .45 won’t be too awfully heavy in this rifle. I’ll have to reference the figures we have on this. Likely around 1/3 lb

I agree with all of the comments. .54 is best, followed by .50 and.54. All for weight and handling characteristics. Now some like a heavier rifle and in this case a .45 might be the ticket. With all this said, a .45 won’t be too awfully heavy in this rifle. I’ll have to reference the figures we have on this. Likely around 1/3 lb
Jim, is there any chance of a .50 SMR or getting a .50 swamped barrel for one?

I have both a Woodsrunner and an SMR kits leaning up here beside me. Both are 45s. I went with 45 because I'll be shooting paper exclusively and 45s use less powder and lead. I've dry fit them together and the 'runner seems heavier and the SMR lighter. I haven't weighed them, it's just the way they feel. However, I wouldn't say the 'runner is too heavy -- but it might be for the puny. If I were to go hunting with the Woodsrunner I could carry it all day, and I'm old and decrepit.

I agree with all of the comments. .54 is best, followed by .50 and.54. All for weight and handling characteristics. Now some like a heavier rifle and in this case a .45 might be the ticket. With all this said, a .45 won’t be too awfully heavy in this rifle. I’ll have to reference the figures we have on this. Likely around 1/3
A third of a pound is nothing if you are at the range or still hunting. It is plenty if you are walking all day.

I have both a Woodsrunner and an SMR kits leaning up here beside me. Both are 45s. I went with 45 because I'll be shooting paper exclusively and 45s use less powder and lead. I've dry fit them together and the 'runner seems heavier and the SMR lighter. I haven't weighed them, it's just the way they feel. However, I wouldn't say the 'runner is too heavy -- but it might be for the puny. If I were to go hunting with the Woodsrunner I could carry it all day, and I'm old and decrepit.
My .45 SMR is, for me, perfectly balanced. From everything I’ve heard, I expect the .54 Woodsrunner to be the same, but that’s still a few months away. And I agree, at my age I want a light gun. The trade gun I’m building now should be around the 6 lbs mark.

Latest posts

Back