• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Would like to see some .45 woodsrunners

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Woodsrunner in .54, an SMR in .45 and a Colonial in .58. The SMR is finished, The Woodsrunner was assembled and disassembled for finishing and the Colonial is mostly still in the box. To me the Woodsrunner has incredibly good balance for me and actually feels a bit lighter than the SMR despite the fact that fact that it's heavier(7 lbs. vs. 6 lbs.). The SMR feels fine too but the balance point is a little more in front of my left hand. I'm 5'=10" but my arms are not very long, and I like my left hand in fairly close. It might be different for someone else. If I had to limit myself to two(who would want to do that), I would have Wodsrunners in .54 and 45.

I agree with all of the comments. .54 is best, followed by .50 and.54. All for weight and handling characteristics. Now some like a heavier rifle and in this case a .45 might be the ticket. With all this said, a .45 won’t be too awfully heavy in this rifle. I’ll have to reference the figures we have on this. Likely around 1/3 lb

Jim, a .40 in a slimmer barrel profile Woods Runner or Lancaster would be REALLY NICE!
The SMR butt profile has too much drop in the comb for me.
I would order one in a heartbeat!

Also, since last I heard, I can’t take any money with me at the end. I plan on several more Kibler builds. Especially the SMR’s, I’d like to have another in Cherry and Walnut.
Agreed! I now have all Three of the Kibler Guns.. the Woodsrunner in .54 being the Latest and still in the works. I think the SMR in .45 in Walnut will be the next.

A third of a pound is nothing if you are at the range or still hunting. It is plenty if you are walking all day.

I am wondering if one could flute the under and sides of the barrel as to not see it that would take some weight off not sure how much though.

I am wondering if one could flute the under and sides of the barrel as to not see it that would take some weight off not sure how much though.
The only flute that would not show would be the bottom on a full stock rifle and if one fluted all the flats , still not much weight would be saved but it probably would be stiffer. Shortening a barrel is what takes the most weight off.
On my last SMR build from TOTW I went with a 36 inch , 13/16s barrel in .45 cal as opposed to another .45cal percussion and .54 percussion with 32x1 inch barrels and like it a lot. I prefer GM barrels when I can get them after seeing a swamped .50 cal 12L 14 barrel split from a short start two seasons ago.

My 58 Kibler colonial smoothbore comes in at about 8.6lbs I don't find it heavy and is comfortable carrying it all day hiking.

Attachments

• 20230403_123605.jpg
    20230403_123605.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 0
Here is the barrel end of .45 woodsrunner. Every thing else looks the same as other Woodsrunner. Just got it today, so no other photo. I will be letting it set for a while so it get use to the climate before I will start on it. As you can see, it’s a big hole. So the .50 and .54 will have a lot thinner barrel wall.

Attachments

• B21862CD-35B1-43AD-B27A-099BA939FAA9.jpeg
    B21862CD-35B1-43AD-B27A-099BA939FAA9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nice looking rifle ! The weight is quite reasonable and should steady real nice if/when shooting offhand.
The walnut makes a handsome combination. I've seen long ramrods here and there, won't they get charred a bit over time ?
It shoulders well and the balance point is just behind the rear sight. Ramrod was not finished yet and this was one I had in the shop to fill the pipes. Hope to get it to the range this week.

Also, since last I heard, I can’t take any money with me at the end. I plan on several more Kibler builds. Especially the SMR’s, I’d like to have another in Cherry and Walnut.
TDM: If the pile of money gets so large you can't walk around your home, please call and I will bring a semi to haul it to my castle. :thumb::horseback:

Back