• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Would a cal 44 remington 1858 do the job?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grizzly bears, brown bears and Kodiak bears are all the same species, the other species is black bear. You should wear hunter orange and blow a light plastic whistle from time to time. Know what bears are in the area by their scat. Black bears scat will have berries and seeds in it, brown bear scat will have ripped orange cloth and broken whistles in it. All kidding aside bear spray is very effective against bears. Bears have very large territorial ranges of multiple square miles. You will be lucky to even see one. People are by far the most dangerous animals in the world and we act like it and smell like it. No other animal tromps around in the woods with no regard for what is around the next corner and our smell precedes us. For defense against medium to large bears, firearms should be used as a last resort and ideally nothing smaller than .357 magnum.

If a .44 Remington cap and ball was all I had for whatever reason, I would go with it. Better than harsh words or trying to outrun a bear. By the way, I'm am way more concerned by two-legged predators. I literally go nowhere without some means of dealing with them, especially camping in remote areas where evil minded people prowl looking for victims far from witnesses or help. Check out this video, a .44 cap and ball loaded with the Kaido Bullet is no joke. I would load up with a stout dose of Triple 7 over Goex for even better performance.

If a .44 Remington cap and ball was all I had for whatever reason, I would go with it. Better than harsh words or trying to outrun a bear. By the way, I'm am way more concerned by two-legged predators. I literally go nowhere without some means of dealing with them, especially camping in remote areas where evil minded people prowl looking for victims far from witnesses or help. Check out this video, a .44 cap and ball loaded with the Kaido Bullet is no joke. I would load up with a stout dose of Triple 7 over Goex for even better performance.

Yeah man the reason is over here that's the only legal gun i can own but i can't have an uberti etc anyways because it has to be produced before 1890 in order to be legal. And i can't have one with a metal cartridge even if it's produced before 1890 so only the muzzleloaders with black powder.

That was interesting to see! Thank you! Are there bullets moulds out there for kaidos bullets? I will check them up and see if i can find any of these. Got some conicals and a bunch of RB but not very impressed by the RB bullets. I don't use triple seven since i heard it's too much for original guns. I use pyrodex tho. Could probably load up with 25-30 grains of pyrodex or BP with a kaido bullet maybe more like 35 if i can find any of these bullets. Would like having a mould for these!

And yeah i'm not sure about a bear but the 44's for sure are enough for the 2 legged predators. So it's good to have them even if i don't see any bears

Grizzly bears, brown bears and Kodiak bears are all the same species, the other species is black bear. You should wear hunter orange and blow a light plastic whistle from time to time. Know what bears are in the area by their scat. Black bears scat will have berries and seeds in it, brown bear scat will have ripped orange cloth and broken whistles in it. All kidding aside bear spray is very effective against bears. Bears have very large territorial ranges of multiple square miles. You will be lucky to even see one. People are by far the most dangerous animals in the world and we act like it and smell like it. No other animal tromps around in the woods with no regard for what is around the next corner and our smell precedes us. For defense against medium to large bears, firearms should be used as a last resort and ideally nothing smaller than .357 magnum.
Thanks man! Actually i got a small dog that barks all the time. Maybe he would do the job making sure the bear knows we are there! He will bark at literally everything he hear out in forest

Hahaha 🤣 got ya dude! Yeah the ones we got there are brown bears but after reading all this guess i will be fine! I will load up both 58's and make sure it doesn't smell much food!

The thing is i only got 58's because of our crazy gun laws and they're original so i don't use tripple seven etc because one is produced in 1863 and the second one 1864. I actually doubt the the cylinder is original on the 1864 one so i probably could use triple seven anyways in that one.

The European brown bear, the North American grizzly bear, and the coastal Alaskan/Canadian brown bear are all currently taxonomically classified as ursus arctos horribilis. They were formally classified as ursus arctos arctos with close to a dozen sub-species being given other names. Scientists now know through DNA testing that regardless of which continent the bear is located on, they have identical DNA.

What confuses scientists is why North American grizzly bears/brown bears attack humans with a far greater frequency, than do their European & Asian cousins.

Compared to the United States and Canada, the bears in Scandinavia, parts of Europe, and Siberia seldom attack, or kill humans. Same DNA, essentially the exact same bear, so why the tremendous difference in behavior?

All I know is, that when a grizzly bear is charging a human with ill intent upon its mind, the bullet, or ball, must pass straight through the bear's nose in order to have any chance of reaching the brain for an instantaneous kill.

As good of a handgun shot that I consider myself to be, I am realistic enough to understand that my chances of putting a high powered handgun bullet into such a small, wildly bouncing, jaw snapping target as the nose of a ****** off grizzly bear, are infinitesimal. To try to accomplish such a feat of marksmanship with a modern replica of a .44 caliber Remington 1858 percussion revolver, is something I would not ever consider trying to do.

If the .44 Cap & Ball is all you have, you may want to use Conicals. Maybe put Steel Ball Bearings in them to make them give the bear a headache? An old Navy buddy came Moose Hunting with me a few years back and he brought a 9mm Berretta with him for Bears. I took it and put it in my pickup truck glove box so we would be safe. We both had large caliber bolt actions and I had a good size revover with 24 rounds in quick loading clips. as we walked thru the woods he mentioned a few times that he stepped n yuchy manure. I mentioned that it was still hot & Steamy and from the Bear that was about 20 feet away from us eating Blackberry's. the Bear could care less that we were there. Bear Sason was open but we did not want to scare away a Moose and I have never shot a Bear. Have heard form a guy that was in the Coast Guard in Alaska that they did taste good first thing in spring but they tasted really bad after eating garbage all summer. so I dont bother go Bear Hunting.

Black FLAG, Spectracide, or other super Toxic WASP & Hornet Spays come in a 3 Pack and is a Lot Cheaper. Works better than Pepper Spray or Mace. works on Bees also. Most of these other Chemical prays May work, Results may vary depending upon which way the wind blows, you dont need a weatherman.
Chemical-Warfare-Nerve-Agents.png

Last edited:
Two Remingtons with 12 shots up close is definitely better than nothing at all. I have also heard of bear spray being called seasoning, in the mountains near me there are quite alot of brown bears, these are not grizzlies, they are cinnamon colored black bears. What causes most problems is the lack of knowledge most people have about bear behavior. Make sure you increase your knowledge about the bruins in your area before you go. My biggest concern in my neck of the woods is not bears but mountain lions. Lion attacks are definitely increasing in california lately, there main targets seem to be trail runners.

Hey guys! I got a question. I got 2 of remington 1858's! Thinking on going out to forest and camping in mountains over night. So i'm NOT out after hunting anything even tho my post is here....but in case i run into a bear or something out in mountains would a remington 1858 do the job to at least scare away a bear? Would that be pointless and make a bear even more angry or would it actually help in a case like that? I know nothing about hunting etc so i leave this part to the ones who do 😄
Bear spray, 2 cans. A might expensive but doctor bills are far worse.

Back