• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Would a cal 44 remington 1858 do the job?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two fatal grizzly attacks in Montana this year. The first was a guide who lived in West Yellowstone: Montana backcountry guide dies after he was mauled by grizzly near Yellowstone (nbcnews.com) Note this paragraph: "Mock when attacked had bear spray — a Mace-like deterrent meant to protect against attacks. Bear spray residue was found on Mock’s clothing, but officials could not determine to what extent he was able to use it against the bear." He was apparently able to deploy it, and although the extent was unknown, the effectiveness was discovered later.

He's said numerous times that the Remingtons are all he has, or can legally use. So, yes, carry both! If you can't get the Kaido bullet, then get a mold for a 45 SWC (semi wad cutter) which is a flat nose bullet like that photo of the Kaido.

The shotgun would be a better choice, sure, but it's not an option. I'd certainly feel best with two 44s loaded for bear plus a big knife and bear spray.

What about loading up with shot? Seems like a load of shot to the head would have an effect.

You ought to do a search on Grizzly Adams - an actual historical character who nearly single-handedly almost exterminated the Grizzlys in California. His plan was to empty as many bullets in the bear as he could before it got to him. Grizzlys are huge and fearless - they have no idea they can't win. Adams would empty two or three muzzle loader rifles into the bear, several revolvers and then have a knife for the close-up combat. That was how he did it, what he figured it would take to down a grizzly, and he did it over and over again.

One of the problems with bears is infection from claw wounds, and that's what killed Adams. He had a scalp wound that wouldn't heal up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_"Grizzly"_Adams

I'm no expert. Heck, I only tell what I saw in Alaska and Minnesota. In Alaska, we watched ten brown bears at one time either catching/eating salmon, sleeping near the stream, or walking along. Mother and 2 cubs walked within 40-50 yards of us and paid no attention, at all. Later, we saw mother with 3 cubs near town. Bears are BIG.

Camped in Boundary Waters in Minnesota, a black bear walked between our tents, skinnied up a tree just like an electric company lineman to get what he thought was our food sack. It was dirty clothes. Bears can climb trees FAST.

Spoke with an old forest service agent who'd worked in a half-dozen national parks. At one point, they used cherry bomb/M-80 type firecrackers and slingshots to scare bears off of garbage piles. Said it worked except one time when the cherry bomb went off BEHIND a bear which ran not only in their direction but right past them.
Don't know if that was true or not. I wasn't there. He was a salty guy, looking to retire.

In Hyder, AK, we saw bears twice, in town. Store lady said they were bad to break into vehicles if they smelled food inside. Bear poop is sticky and smells like rotten fish.

Yepp would probably feel safer with that then nothing at all so guess i might take them both with me and hope i don't get any bears chasing me 😄 i think it's pretty okay tho i mean we didn't get grizzlys over here! I think the ones we got are brown bears! And i don't know much about brown bears either but probably grizzlys are way more dangerous!
Is brown not a Grizzly with a bad attitude?

Latest posts

Back