• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Would a cal 44 remington 1858 do the job?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crypt0manic

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hey guys! I got a question. I got 2 of remington 1858's! Thinking on going out to forest and camping in mountains over night. So i'm NOT out after hunting anything even tho my post is here....but in case i run into a bear or something out in mountains would a remington 1858 do the job to at least scare away a bear? Would that be pointless and make a bear even more angry or would it actually help in a case like that? I know nothing about hunting etc so i leave this part to the ones who do 😄

I would not expect a Rem .44 to stop an angry bear ... more apt to make it more angry. I assisted in a search for a grizzly, in Alaska, that had torn a man up after being shot twice with a 30-06. The grizzly was found dead. Polecat
Thanks for the reply! Sounds really bad 😅 i only got rem. 1858 so guess if i meet a brown bear (i believe that's the ones we got in forest and mountains here) i might end up bad anyways 😅

They would work just fine to escape a bear attack. Just be sure and take a friend with you. If a bear attacks, you should be able to hit at least one of your friends legs with 12 shots, allowing you to run away from the bear and escape from the attack!😇

years ago and far away in the Canadian forests a hunter fired a well placed shot from a tree stand around dusk into the approaching bear's shoulder with a large caliber ML.
Bear ran off into the woods quite upset and making loud noises. Sometime long time elapsed and the hunter climbed down to return in the daylight to search for the bear. He easily located it following a well marked trail of blood and broken near the base 4" and larger saplings. The bear had made it nearly 200 yards in the heavy brush and expired from the bullet which had pierced a lung and the heart. The hunter was very happy he had been in a tree stand and undetected by the bear.

years ago and far away in the Canadian forests a hunter fired a well placed shot from a tree stand around dusk into the approaching bear's shoulder with a large caliber ML.
Bear ran off into the woods quite upset and making loud noises. Sometime long time elapsed and the hunter climbed down to return in the daylight to search for the bear. He easily located it following a well marked trail of blood and broken near the base 4" and larger saplings. The bear had made it nearly 200 yards in the heavy brush and expired from the bullet which had pierced a lung and the heart. The hunter was very happy he had been in a tree stand and undetected by the bear.
Well if it could run 200 yards it could for sure kill anyone before dying....sounds like my rem 1858 are pretty much useless for self defense against larger predators! Not sure tho if you guys are talking about larger grizzly bears or the ones we got in scandinavia. Or if that does matter at all what type of a bear that would be! 😄 Seems like i would be pretty much dead anyways 😄

Hey guys! I got a question. I got 2 of remington 1858's! Thinking on going out to forest and camping in mountains over night. So i'm NOT out after hunting anything even tho my post is here....but in case i run into a bear or something out in mountains would a remington 1858 do the job to at least scare away a bear? Would that be pointless and make a bear even more angry or would it actually help in a case like that? I know nothing about hunting etc so i leave this part to the ones who do 😄
A .44 Remington unmentionable (think Dirty Harry - Clint Eastwood) with all 6 hollowpoint rounds might slow it up, try to get a shot off through it's open mouth. Having said that, I'm sure more than one "mountain man" had to face that situation with a black powder pistol and/or rifle, not sure how many of them survived. Take bear mace, lot's of it, who knows, it might work, and sleep with a good pair of running shoes on. :thumb:

The Remingtons would be better than nothing, and might provide some mental relief. If I didn't have anything bigger I'd take them both.

Odds are you won't make contact with something intent on having you for supper. Just be smart, don't leave food laying around, I'd put it in a bag and suspend it from a tree. Make plenty noise so you don't surprise them.

Remember the old joke about 2 guys being chased by a Grizzly... one said "no way we're gonna outrun this bear. " Other one said, "I don't have to outrun the bear...I only have to outrun YOU!"

Carry a can of bear spray, one the bigger cans. Have seen it on the rack at the local WallyWorld. Here is one of higher rated ones you can get from Amazon.

Attachments

• 1633719551345.png
    1633719551345.png
    237.9 KB · Views: 39
Thanks for the reply! Sounds really bad 😅 i only got rem. 1858 so guess if i meet a brown bear (i believe that's the ones we got in forest and mountains here) i might end up bad anyways 😅
I don't think brownies are all that prone to 'attack' humans, but, yeah, the Rem '58 would not be effective. BTW, I've been reading almost every gun magazine in print for decades, and a constant running theme is, "I need a powerful handgun in case of bear attack..." I think it's largely a wish or myth, but of course I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Nowadays the running theme is defense from a criminal attack or intruder; there's lots of wishing and fantasy in the imagined scenarios. Again, not dismissing the actual occasional need.

I tend to disagree with most of the above. No animal, not even a bear want to be hit with a projectile. The noise and the impact are a deterrent at least. Multiple shots would increase the total effect of course. I don't mean to say the caliber/velocity will definitely penetrate a bear and cause a lethal wound. It might depending on many circumstances. It might not. While you can't expect it would literally drop the bear right there, you can anticipate the bear will not like it. Sure there are better tools - but in this case it is the one you have. Yeah and nobody wants to wound anything but this is a self-defense situation as a last resort. I think your '58 can buy you time and turn a bear away. If the bear is close enough for a full-out threat to you it will take nerves of steel on your part to make a good shot at a distance measured in feet. At that range, you might still get knocked over but if you continue to work the action and pull the trigger I think the bear will change its mind. You hope you don't need it at all, but its better than taking a chance on nothing. While not an attack situation, I once killed a black bear with a 4-inch revolver with a conventional 357 cartridge. It was a surprise to both of us but the bear was somewhere inside of 20 feet and kept coming in spite of shouting and waving. I pulled the trigger 6-times and the bear ran away. I heard some moans and went to look after a bit. Dead bear. It was in season and I had a license so all was good, but I was not bear hunting and didn't plan it. Where you will be the revolver might be useful for other predatory animals too as bears may not be the only one's in the woods....

I don't think brownies are all that prone to 'attack' humans, but, yeah, the Rem '58 would not be effective. BTW, I've been reading almost every gun magazine in print for decades, and a constant running theme is, "I need a powerful handgun in case of bear attack..." I think it's largely a wish or myth, but of course I'm not saying it doesn't happen. Nowadays the running theme is defense from a criminal attack or intruder; there's lots of wishing and fantasy in the imagined scenarios. Again, not dismissing the actual occasional need.
Yeah man probably you right i didn't hear about much similar cases. It's just that we got some mountains here i like. I wanna go sleep over there and i heard there are bears over there 😄 that's why i started wondering! But probably they stay away from people!

I will add: do not let any of this discourage you from enjoying the woods. For many years I spent every moment available to me in the woods and mountains. I had a couple or three encounters with bears up close. I never felt threatened and always the bear left peacefully. Do a search. The number of people killed by bears, unprovoked, is miniscule. A bit more dangerous with grizzlies or Alaskan brownies but still not your worst danger in the woods. Go and have a good time. Take bear spray if you wish but just walk slowly away is my advice. Polecat

Carry a can of bear spray, one the bigger cans. Have seen it on the rack at the local WallyWorld. Here is one of higher rated ones you can get from Amazon.
That's a good thing didn't know about these actually! 😄 Thanks dude!

I tend to disagree with most of the above. No animal, not even a bear want to be hit with a projectile. The noise and the impact are a deterrent at least. Multiple shots would increase the total effect of course. I don't mean to say the caliber/velocity will definitely penetrate a bear and cause a lethal wound. It might depending on many circumstances. It might not. While you can't expect it would literally drop the bear right there, you can anticipate the bear will not like it. Sure there are better tools - but in this case it is the one you have. Yeah and nobody wants to wound anything but this is a self-defense situation as a last resort. I think your '58 can buy you time and turn a bear away. If the bear is close enough for a full-out threat to you it will take nerves of steel on your part to make a good shot at a distance measured in feet. At that range, you might still get knocked over but if you continue to work the action and pull the trigger I think the bear will change its mind. You hope you don't need it at all, but its better than taking a chance on nothing. While not an attack situation, I once killed a black bear with a 4-inch revolver with a conventional 357 cartridge. It was a surprise to both of us but the bear was somewhere inside of 20 feet and kept coming in spite of shouting and waving. I pulled the trigger 6-times and the bear ran away. I heard some moans and went to look after a bit. Dead bear. It was in season and I had a license so all was good, but I was not bear hunting and didn't plan it. Where you will be the revolver might be useful for other predatory animals too as bears may not be the only one's in the woods....
Yeah you are right! It's better then nothing! Holy **** dude if i had a bear 20 feet away running towards me i wouldn't be so happy about that....and yeah we got wolves as well etc so it might be good in either cases!
Thanks for the advice! Of course you don't want to hurt a animal but better shooting then becoming a meal 😄

Back