• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Worth it or not

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We talking new or used? Condition will dictate if used
Do you shoot for fun or hunt?
Me personally won't spend over 300-350 for any used but in very good condition. I bought two Lyman, one a GPR and it's shorter cousin with the peep system for 300 each unfired so there are some deals out there. Just picked up a Mowrey 50 all steel box lock in pristine condition for 300. Pawn shops have been good to me for rifles and revolvers. Have to frequent them very regularly.
I'm sure there are many with a Traditions that are happy with their choice it may not have quite as good a lock but that can be changed if you feel it needs it. I have a Traditions Kentucky and it shoots fine but my preference is my TC Hawkens.
I'd say if used as long as the bore is clean, shiny and the riflings are real good.
I've seen many in my club shooting all different brands and doing just fine. Just because it's a Pedersoli doesn't mean others are bad. Some cost in name.

Spend your money to purchase the things that make YOU happy. My preferences are for originals or accurate reproductions of originals, but that's me. I have never owned but one gun I've never shot, an engraved unmentionable presented to me by my staff. Everything else - I've hunted with, shot, or both. No one except insensitive boors will judge your choices. Get what you want and enjoy the ride.

Owning stuff too expensive/fragile to hunt with isn't much fun, but junk will always be junk no matter the maker or how long you keep it.

Probably not where it really matters, but if I wanted the Pedersoli that’s what I’d buy and price be damned!

Look at a Chevy and a Buick. The Buick looks a bit more refined in and out but both it and the Chevy will both drive you to the Missouri head waters. :horseback:. . I do have to admit that a Buick costs more that a Pedorsol.

Is your Ky a flint or percussion?
My first flint rifle was a Pedersoli and I had a great deal of trouble with it. Many misfires. At first, I thought it was just my inexperience, and that was probably part of it, but when I replaced the vent liner and lock, I got better results. That was a while back so maybe Pedersoli has better quality locks and liners now.

Probably totally unrelated, but the question reminds me of my first car. In 1971 I had a beat up, rusty, VW beetle. I drove it to many of the same places with friends who had fancy 4-wheel drive Jeeps, Broncos, Landcruisers, etc. I didn't get to the most rugged spots but I had enough fun. In the city I never noticed that the finer, fancier, more expensive cars were getting to their destinations any faster than I did. And when the POS looked its worse, just before I finally had some body and paint work done, I put my first and only bumper sticker on that Bug: "Don't laugh, your daughter may be inside."

Hi oh Great Ones. Can you please tell me if pedersoli is worth 2x the price of Traditions. I am looking at buying a 45cal Kentucky rifle
Maybe. Maybe not. Talking new vs used? Which specific models from each manufacturer are you talking about?

Quick question for you on a similar quandary, what is worth more, a Chevy 4 door or a Ford 4 door? Looking at buying a 6 cylinder. And your answer is?

Honestly, if you want real advice, quite a bit more accurate information is needed.

I have no experience with a Pedersoli. But I have a Traditions Kentucky, .50 caliber percussion that will hit skeet sized targets at 50 yards all day long. I bought it because it fits me, looks good to me and the price was right. I’ll keep it for all the above.

Some folks don’t like the Traditions two piece stock. It doesn’t bother me at all.

Make that two, I drove to TN to DGW to get one. Drove it all the way back to the left coast just to have the frizzen break on the 8th shot, right in front of a new girl friend.
It took 10 months for Dixie to make another since Pedos does not have spare parts for sale.

Not in my opinion. Pedersoli guns look very nice, but the only flintlock I ever got from Pedersoli had a lock that simply wouldn't work properly. I converted it to percussion and it was a great deer rifle. I've also killed more deer with a Traditions than ever with the Pedersoli.

I’ve had quite a few traditions guns. One was a flintlock and the others were percussion. All shot better than me and I never had a minutes trouble with any of them. On the other hand there isn’t an uglier gun out there than a traditions Kentucky with that tacky two piece stock. I’d throw rocks at a deer before I’d buy one. I also have five Pedersoli guns. Everyone one of them are worth what I paid for them.

There is a huge difference between value and cost.

Anything for sale is worth what each prospective buyer will pay.

Remember

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

The quality will remain long after the price is forgotten

Every buyer makes their own choice - and life is short.

Back