• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

"Wormy" maple

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GANGGREEN

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm not talking about Ambrosia maple, I'm talking about hard maple that's gotten worms or fungus damage (I've heard that the tunnels are caused by both and don't really know). I purchased 3 good sized boards the other day. They were all 10/4"-12/4", 8 or 9 inches wide and 8 feet long. I got what I thought was a very good deal on them even though I agreed to purchase them after only seeing a few pictures and not physically seeing them. Two of the boards are good to great. Air dried for years, very hard maple, decent curl throughout, etc., but one of the boards has good curl BUT little worm holes throughout most of the board. I'm not at all concerned, for what I paid, I'm happy to have 2 good boards and one for turkey calls, picture frames and other small projects, but has anyone ever tried to build a gun with a "wormy" blank? I presume that it's stabilized and that the damage is done and not continuing, although I don't know that for sure. I don't suppose it would look right on a beautiful, highly engraved Lancaster rifle with relief carving, etc., but it might actually look rather "folksy" on a generic "mountain rifle". Thoughts?

If it's not obvious, the wormy board is in the foregound and the way to the rear is one of the other "good boards". Most of the damage on the wormy board is on the two ends, but there's at least some minimal damage throughout.

wormy.jpg

It is possible to make the worm holes "go away". One of the best solutions is after the stock is fully inlet and shaped to final form, then take small pieces of scrap wood from the same board that matches the grain and curl and inlet them into the the areas where there were worm holes. The replacement wood is inlet just like a metal part. Glue it in place and rasp and sand the replacement section after the glue dries to follow the original surface.

There used to be an old thread on here where Mike Brooks demonstrated this on a stock. It may be gone now as he was banned from the forum. If is does exist, the photos may not link properly if he used Photobucket back then.

000[Q0000000UOTE="GANGGREE00N, post: 1702860, member: 10746"]
I'm not talking about Ambrosia maple, I'm talking about hard maple that's gotten worms or fungus damage (I've heard that the tunnels are caused by both and don't really know). I purchased 3 good sized boards the other day. They were all 10/4"-12/4", 8 or 9 inches wide and 8 feet long. I got what I thought was a very good deal on them even though I agreed to purchase them after only seeing a few pictures and not physically seeing them. Two of the boards are good to great. Air dried for years, very hard maple, decent curl throughout, etc., but one of the boards has good curl BUT little worm holes throughout most of the board. I'm not at all concerned, for what I paid, I'm happy to have 2 good boards and one for turkey calls, picture frames and other small projects, but has anyone ever tried to build a gun with a "wormy" blank? I presume that it's stabilized and that the damage is done and not continuing, although I don't know that for sure. I don't suppose it would look right on a beautiful, highly engraved Lancaster rifle with relief carving, etc., but it might actually look rather "folksy" on a generic "mountain rifle". Thoughts?

If it's not obvious, the wormy board is in the foregound and the way to the rear is one of the other "good boards". Most of the damage on the wormy board is on the two ends, but there's at least some minimal damage throughout.

View attachment 41915
[/QUOTE]
I brought a beautiful 20 gauge dbl back from Belgium in the 60s. It had small worm holes on most of the stock. I used matching plastic wood, carefully pushed it into each hole, took off excess and smoothed with my finger. Friends commented on that gorgeous, unusual stock wood ;) BTW it had a full curl ram's head for a pistol grip ….. made a huge mistake when I sold it. I used it for quail from 1964 through 1978. The holes did not detract from its appearance in my estimation, Polecat0

That's interesting Dale. Honestly, I have a shop full of really nice curly maple, so it's not as if I have to use this blank, I'd only do so if I thought the character would actually make it look unique or awesome.

Thanks for the info plmeek. I also don't know why Mike would have been banned. I admit that I've seen him post a few "prickly" comments, but that's a man with a treasure trove of knowledge and I'm not sure why his ban would be anything other than temporary (unless he did something really bad that I'm unaware of).

I remember that repaired rifle. Those little inletted wood blocks gave it some unique personality. Look at some of the European guns. Their stocks have knots in some really nice rifles and shotguns. They didn't waste any wood.

I do not know if Jackie Brown is still making guns but a few years back he had advertised a few with wormy holed maple stocks. I believe this blank would be good for a poor boy, barn gun type weapon as tenngun stated.

Hi all I am a right hander and i need to shoot with a L/H/ fifle because i don"t know why but i can't close my left eye when i am shooting.
I do not know if Jackie Brown is still making guns but a few years back he had advertised a few with wormy holed maple stocks. I believe this blank would be good for a poor boy, barn gun type weapon as tenngun stated.
He’s still making them. I have one of his wormy stocked 45 flint rifles.

If you wear glasses or safety glasses, just put a Post-it note over your left eye and bang away. Have you checked to see which eye is dominant?

You may want to check info on powder-post beetle damage. Air dried wood is highly susceptible to them. Some time the damage is not very apparent until you are deep in the wood. It can leave areas very soft and weak. Treatment can be with borate products or heat in excess of 140* for a period of time. Maybe they can be saved.
Dave

I have a beautiful flint by Ken Netting that turned out to have worm tunnels when he got to final shaping. Asked if I wanted a different stock cut I told him to finish it and leave the tracks. Love the look and it always gets raves.

You may want to check info on powder-post beetle damage. Air dried wood is highly susceptible to them. Some time the damage is not very apparent until you are deep in the wood. It can leave areas very soft and weak. Treatment can be with borate products or heat in excess of 140* for a period of time. Maybe they can be saved.
Dave
Yep, the bugs may still be in there. A borate soak would work but I would go the heat route and the temperature you decide on (I might try for 180 F) has to be to the center of the board (so does a soak).

Back