World Cup Rugby !

Discussion in 'General Reenacting Discussions' started by Loyalist Dave, Sep 20, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Sep 20, 2019 #1

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Hey I bet that got some attention, this being a Traditional Muzzleloading Forum and all, and also the first day of the Rugby World Cup...,

So lets talk about spectator sports from say the AWI on up to the ACW.
    (See how I brought the discussion back into proper parameters? :D )

So I know there were shooting matches, and horse racing, and I know that some folks lawn bowled (those with some cash I think), as well as some Golfed..., but for the average person, other than horse racing, shooting, and perhaps boxing, were there any spectator "sports"?

Like when did Rugby become a game for example? Was cricket a popular game yet by the AWI ??

LD

Nyckname likes this.
  2. Sep 20, 2019 #2

Treestalker

Treestalker

Treestalker

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

Wow, Dave, I think this will make a great thread. Folks out in the country used to compete in all types of farm related activities, and contests of strength such as wrestling (I understand George Washington was good at that). Blacksmithing was/is a good 'sport'. I personally have a farrier's rasp I won many years ago in second place at a 'hammer in' near Livingston, Texas. I hope we hear from lots of folks on this topic, looks like fun!

3. Sep 20, 2019 #3

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 cal - b

Fifteen minute walk from Independence Hall.
  4. Sep 20, 2019 #4

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 cal - b

Oh, and rugby as such started mid 19th C., but there were kicking ball type games going back to antiquity.

5. Sep 20, 2019 #5

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

OH I forgot, Quoits, which is a Roman game with discs having a hole in the center, sorta like "horseshoes" I am told was popular....
    There was lots of gambling, dice games like Farkle and craps… and Whist (early Bridge)..
    Of course there was Chess, and I think Backgammon (unsure), and checkers....

Now I also find that "Rounders" was called by one author "Base-Ball" in 1744, and was similar to what we call softball in some ways...

LD

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
    Nyckname likes this.
  6. Sep 20, 2019 #6

ppg1949

ppg1949

ppg1949

40 cal - b MLF Supporter

At a local fair I was in a watermelon seed spitting contest. I'm guessing it derived from tobacco spitting contests that probably went on way back yonder.

7. Sep 21, 2019 #7

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

And ‘kick’ an early soccer.
    Any time a man needed a skill for a job they figured out ways to test each other.
    Sailors would race each other up the mast and out the yard, or the early ancestor of lumberjack games, harpooned threw their harpoons and raced their boats.
    Nine man Morris and goose was popular.
    There was another game similar to chess played up until the seventeen century and used similar looking pieces. A king and his men were surrounded on a board and they had to break out to one side. I don’t know if it ever got here to America .... maybe in the Swedish colonies.
    Hnefnatl... I don’t know how to say it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  8. Sep 21, 2019 #8

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Tafl games include Hnefatafl, Tablut, Tawlbwrdd, Brandubh, Ard Rí, and Alea Evangelii, and the games were known in Ireland and Britain (probably at least the East Coast of England where the Vikings had colonized.) It phased out in the 1100's for Chess.... The rules for tablut were recorded by Linneaus 1732, and these were translated from Latin to English in 1811...but that translation was flawed and the rules are now updated. You can find Tablut sets at a lot of game sellers at RenFairs but by the time of Henry VIII it wasn't really being played in England....

LD

9. Sep 21, 2019 #9

Treestalker

Treestalker

Treestalker

45 Cal. MLF Supporter

nef-uh-taf-el

tenngun likes this.
  10. Sep 21, 2019 #10

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 cal - b

As I understand it, the pole in the caber toss at Highland Games originated as the ridge pole in cottages. Some guys helping build a house, maybe for the newlyweds, "Bet you can't flip that over by yourself."

Treestalker likes this.
  11. Sep 21, 2019 #11

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

The Swedes has a short run colony and were later absorbed by the Dutch. I don’t know if they were still playing it at that time. As mentioned rules were written down a century after the Swedes lost their toe hold.
    As for tossing a caber??? What can you expect from guys in skirts drinking whiskey that’s been smoked with peat?
    ‘Ach mon! Hold ma haggis an wasch this’

Nyckname likes this.
  12. Sep 21, 2019 #12

Nyckname

Nyckname

Nyckname

40 cal - b

A couple'f other things from Highland Games that come from work:

While the "hammer" thrown in track and field is a ball on a chain, the hammer used in Scottish games is a ball on a wooden handle.

The sheaf toss involves using a pitchfork to heave a burlap bag stuffed with sixteen pounds of straw for height.

tenngun likes this.
  13. Sep 21, 2019 #13

Zonie

Zonie

Zonie

Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

He might have said, "Hold ma haggis an wasch this" but you can bet he never said, "Hold ma whisky and wasch this."
    The last time a Scott said that, his glass was dry before he ever got back to it. ;)

Loyalist Dave, tenngun and Nyckname like this.
  14. Oct 1, 2019 #14

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

I found a game called Rounders, which is earlier and very similar to modern slow-pitch softball, and in fact once source called it "baseball". The biggest differences, you run clockwise around the bases which at most are 60' apart, you slow-pitch the ball underhand, and you use the bat one-handed. No mention of what was used for a ball, and like early baseball you could get a runner "out" if he was hit between bases by a thrown ball. :confused:

LD