• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Working with kids

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave951

62 Cal.
Reaction score
If you want to ever work with kids inside a youth organization shooting sports program, you'll have to be certified, usually through the NRA. Our NMLRA Charter Club- the Yadkin Valley Rangers, is an instructor/education oriented club. Part of what we do is volunteer as instructors but we also put on training sessions for those interested to become certified instructors. I'm also in the North South Skirmish Association. In late July, we (Yadkin Valley Rangers) are putting on a large training session to create new instructors. This will take place at Ft Shennandoah in Winchester, VA with priority given to N-SSA members. There are still a couple seats available for others. Anyone interested, please PM me for more details.

Clarification please. This is for NRA muzzleloading certification. Not NMLRA correct?

I have asked the NMLRA to develop a certified instructor program that does not require travel to friendship. No reply. We are aging and losing our territorial program I feel due to losing our RSO's and bo way to replace them without travel to Indiana. This is a requirement to run a territorial. Sorry did not mean to steal your thread Dave. My bad.

Clarification please. This is for NRA muzzleloading certification. Not NMLRA correct?

I have asked the NMLRA to develop a certified instructor program that does not require travel to friendship. No reply. We are aging and losing our territorial program I feel due to losing our RSO's and bo way to replace them without travel to Indiana. This is a requirement to run a territorial. Sorry did not mean to steal your thread Dave. My bad.

No problem whatsoever and you bring up a good point that I've touched on with others. The NMLRA and NRA certs are virtually identical in material and course nature. IIRC I think some NMLRA guys had a hand in writing the materials for the NRA. BUT, when it comes to which is recognized by youth organizations like Scouts, it's the NRA cert that is the one specified and the NMLRA one is not accepted even though the material and course are virtually identical. Hope is not lost on the NMLRA cert, keep reading.

Our Charter Club, the Yadkin Valley Rangers, seeks to hold training sessions here in the southeast for those who can't make it to Friendship, but since we are aimed at working with kids, we teach the NRA cert. From what I've heard, if you WANT the NMLRA cert, all you have to do is get the NRA cert first, then send some $$ to the NMLRA with your NRA credential and they will issue you the NMLRA version. So from our POV, we'll continue teaching the NRA cert with information on how to get the additional NMLRA cert later for those who want it.

The RSO training is available online from the NRA. I don't know if the same type of recognition applies to it as to instructor. That's a question for Marty at the NMLRA.

We are all aging and it's just the facts. What is not happening is others stepping up to keep our hobby healthy and thriving and that means working with kids and other outreach programs. By keeping the training sessions centralized or in northern tier states, that puts those in the southern areas (and other distant states) at a severe disadvantage and that's part of what we're working to correct and it will have to be done by others in other parts of the country as well. If we don't start on correcting this, it won't get done.

Back